Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ther rise of defensive domination and the decline of entertainment-a thesis by daggum

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ther rise of defensive domination and the decline of entertainment-a thesis by daggum

This thread is not about floyd-pac so please don't talk about it unless you are citing examples from that fight. This thread will be discussing the uneven relationship between defensive fouls and offensive fouls and how defensive fouls have become a common part of boxing strategy. So my question is is it really great defense if it's not even legal?

example: If a fighter keeps landing low blows over and over he is punished(unless his name is danny garcia or mares) yet when a fighter continually clinches or bends below the waist(both things are illegal) he rarely if ever is punished. This inherently gives the advantage to any fighter who is willing to go outside the rules and do these kind of moves. Why is one foul(low blows) so harshly criticized while defensive fouls go ignored? Is it because we have been conditioned to accept them as "part of boxing" and why haven't low blows and other offensive fouls become a "part of boxing" Is it because fouls like low blows or thumbing someone in the eye can possibly have an effect on the outcome? don't defensive fouls also have an outcome on the fight? they completely disrupt and stop the other fighters offensive attack. I would argue that the refs failure to take action against these fouls has a direct outcome on the fight as well.

If you look at the sheer numbers guys like wlad, ward, and floyd commit these defensive fouls sometimes over a hundred times per fight. why would they keep doing it if it didn't help them? yet if you had a fighter throwing a hundred low blows they would be dq'd almost for sure. Also when scoring a fight people seem to give these fighters who commit defensive fouls credit under the defensive category which is puzzling since you would not give someone clean punching credit if he was landing low blows. why the disconnect between the two?

These unpunished fouls also affect the entertainment value of a fight. A fighter who can disrupt the offensive rhythm of his opponent by clinching/bending makes the fight very boring because there is no flow to the fight(which is why they do it) The fight is essentially only fought when the guy committing defensive fouls wants it to be fought because he can just stop the action whenever he pleases. If boxing wants to grow its fan base and actually keep viewers they need to seriously look at enforcing the rules on both sides of the coin offensively and defensively. I don't think its too much to ask to simply follow the rules because following the rules would make for much better fights.

Comment

There has been a huge shift the last twenty years, I'm wondering where it came from. If you watch fights from the 80s and 90s, guys not only lose points but are fucking disqualified for defensive clinching. Watch the old Tuesday Night Fights replays on ESPN and you see it often.

The last few years BoxingTruth Radio, easily the best boxing podcast ever, was on, they talked about it almost every episode.

Comment

Comment

lol

This is too damn funny

I can't believe baldomir had a better showing vs Floyd

Comment

some boxers are more defensive,some are more offensive,thats how its always been.some boxers are brawlers,some are technicians.

Comment

Yep, watching some old fights will put into perspective how different boxing used to be. It's no wonder that boxing has declined so much since then. The only ones who can't see this are the boxing hipsters, who love being able to appreciate "boxing art" and thus don't actually want boxing to become more popular.

Comment

Clinching and holding, which is against the rules and therefore, strictly speaking, a foul, has been part of the sport for as long as I've been watching it.

Some refs allow less of it than others before dishing out warnings. And I've noticed that A side fighters are generally allowed more leeway than B siders in that respect.

Ducking below the belt is something that hardly ever used to happen without a warning being given, but is often ignored by referees nowadays. Same thing with turning away from the opponent to take the sting out of punches, or avoid them completely.

I think the reason "defensive fouls" like these are tolerated is that they don't end fights or cause injuries to the fighters, whereas "offensive fouls" can do both.

Comment

Find a different sport to watch.

Floyd,Wlad,and Ward all regularly put on boxing clinics.

Comment

You do know a thesis.........has a thesis statement right? Or are you as ignorant in the forms of literature as you are in the forms of boxing.

Comment

Working...
                    X