Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

twisting back leg when throwing right hand?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• twisting back leg when throwing right hand?

I learned that when throwing my right hand (I'm orthodox) you need to twist the back leg and foot, but when I see on YouTube pro boxers train I noticed that they don't really twist their back legs.

Is twisting the back leg anything that really improves power of the punch or just for correct technique?

for example I just saw Amir Khan's media workout shadowboxing for his fight against Devon Alexander and he never twists his leg.

Originally posted by fr33 View Post
    I learned that when throwing my right hand (I'm orthodox) you need to twist the back leg and foot, but when I see on YouTube pro boxers train I noticed that they don't really twist their back legs.

Is twisting the back leg anything that really improves power of the punch or just for correct technique?

for example I just saw Amir Khan's media workout shadowboxing for his fight against Devon Alexander and he never twists his leg.
    Most pro boxers don't even know how to throw a cross the proper way to maximize power.

It's a hard punch to learn, and to teach.

But yeah, you should learn to twist your ankle when throwing it.
    Here's a good example of how the shoulders, hips, knee, ankle all turn at the same time to deliver the power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u54ug...e_gdata_player
    Last edited by AddiX; 12-11-2014, 05:23 PM.

Comment

If you want to punch with power you first drop some weight on the back leg then turn your hip out! That's how power is added along with pronating your hands. Amir Khan doesn't do it because he is a speed guy who needs to be in & out when he works combos.
      Try adding your hip when working the heavy bag and compare it to not adding it!
      Ray

Comment

Thanks guys for your advice! That was great knockout!

Comment

watch floyd mayweather jr

Comment

like almost every answer to every question in this section of the forum
            it depends
            but it's good practice to throw with perfect form.

Comment

Originally posted by fr33 View Post
              Thanks guys for your advice! That was great knockout!
              Yeah it was, we trained at the same gym, which is why I posted it.

Here's another from him, identical technique, our gym was known for having a good cross.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sABi_...e_gdata_player

Originally posted by Rockin'
              You don't twist the back leg/foot consciously. When throwing the right hand just be sure to push hard from your back foot and take just a small step with your lead foot. You throwing the right hand will trigger the rest of the turning of the hips, leg and foot. If you are properly finishing the shot than everything will be in unison and sequence. Simply put, just let go and push off hard............ Rockin'
              The whole point of turning your ankle over is so you maintain balance While building kinetic energy from pushing off the floor with the balls on your feet.

And No offense, but what your saying is ridiculous, and is why you don't see many good fighters with a good cross.

Comment

thank you for the tutorial, I never got past the chapter about putting on your wraps anyways. I do look forward to future banter and ridicule from you in the future though.

Please, if you would, elaborate on your disagreements about my statement. Simply put, if you push from the ball of your foot, while 'properly following through', your shoulder, hip, leg and foot will just naturally roll out in sequence. What you got planted behind it will count a ton, or so I've heard.............Rockin'

My right hand may not be similar to yours, but I do know this... I always got true/proper respect from my opponents. Both during and after the bells.
                Just because you push off it doesn't mean the rest of your body will follow and you'll mAintain your posture and stay balanced.

I don't know where you got that idea.

And it also doesn't mean you'll get full extension. Your front shoulder should end up turning all the way back to max out leverage. That doesnt happen naturally, that take practice.

Anyone can step forward and throw a hard punch, boxing is about doing it on the drop of a dime while maintaining your stance.

Comment

If you are trained properly you'd be fine. I never once fell down from lack of balance when throwing a right hand.

And if your front shoulder does indeed turn all the way back then I know a ton of fighters who would love to work in between your long, over exaggerated righthands........... Rockin'
                  I was taught to try to push my right hand through the back of my targets head.

If you like to throw love taps with your "power" hand, be my guest.

Look at Vlads left shoulder almost every time he throws his right hand. He easily has the best right hand in boxing right now. Its no coincidence why either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9dwu...e_gdata_player

Comment

love taps.... that's all you'll through without that foot planted and pushing through.

Vlad, LOL. I think that I saw him throw a right hand somewhere between the slaps and the holding............ Rockin'
                    If you aren't rotating your shoulders with the punch it's going to be a lot less powerful. You might be able to generate enough power for your sparring partners to respect it but it doesn't mean it's the best way to throw it if you want power. It doesn't take long to throw with shoulder rotation, and it has the added benefit of putting you in a better position to throw left hands.

Comment

Working...
                    X