Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who was down with Winky Wright (160lbs) vs Floyd Mayweather (140lbs)?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who was down with Winky Wright (160lbs) vs Floyd Mayweather (140lbs)?

Remember when this fight was nearly signed but at the last minute Floyd pulled out. Who here was okay with this match-up. Looking at some older threads it seemed posters had no issue with 160lb Wright facing the 140lb Floyd, but hey what do I know.

That sounds horrible, but I wasn't following closely at the and context is important. What year was this?

Comment

Floyd wanted 55-45 due to the risk and the fact that he was P4P #1 but Shaw and Winky weren't having it. That would've been a good fight at 154, Winky was kinda slow and he would try to walk Floyd down with his guard up, Floyd would jab him to the body, feint the jab to the body and throw the hook or the straight right and move move move all night, Winky wouldn't have been able to cut the ring off on Floyd and Winky was a better counterpuncher than a fighter that would like to lead, which is good for Floyd who fights from range and was at the time extremely quick on his feet.

Only thing that could've made a difference is Floyd getting worn down because of the weight and Winky's jab, but other than that I don't see Winky's style being effective against the Mayweather style especially in Mayweather's prime.
      Last edited by Dip_Slide; 09-05-2016, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
        That sounds horrible, but I wasn't following closely at the and context is important. What year was this?
        This was fall of 2005,,, floyd had just been elevated to p4p 1 after beating gatti and hopkins losing to taylor.. Winky had just dominated shane at 154 and tito at 160..

Both guys were considered to be top 5 p4p guys and I believe winky would have gone back to 154 to make the fight, but never really got into serious discussions

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
          This was fall of 2005,,, floyd had just been elevated to p4p 1 after beating gatti and hopkins losing to taylor.. Winky had just dominated shane at 154 and tito at 160..

Both guys were considered to be top 5 p4p guys and I believe winky would have gone back to 154 to make the fight, but never really got into serious discussions
          Team Winky were high handed on the money and refused a rehydration clause which was fair as crispy creme walk around at 190...All in all another one of the many winky ducks

Comment

Would have made for a really cool and interesting match-up.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
              Like one poster already said, it would have happened in 2005. I really think Winky would have been too much for Floyd, unless he received a gift decision I don't see how he beats Wright at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by ComicDon View Post
                Like one poster already said, it would have happened in 2005. I really think Winky would have been too much for Floyd, unless he received a gift decision I don't see how he beats Wright at that time.
                Yea, the Winky that beat Tito was too much for 140lb Floyd. Both were highly talented but, as the saying goes, you pic the big talented guy over the little talented guy.

Comment

Floyd had called out Winky.

They both had agreed to the terms. 50-50 split, Winky accepted everything including coming down to 154 on the day of the fight and not allowed to gain more than 8lbs between the weigh-in and start of fight.

When Winky agreed to everything and were ready to sign the contracts, Floyd backs off on the agreement and asks for a split that is more favorable to Floyd.

Comment

Fight was agreed to.

Winky priced himself out like always.

Comment

Working...
                    X