Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Didn't Ali Give George Foreman a Rematch?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foreman knocking out Ali wouldn't have looked great on Ali's legacy. A good reason to avoid the rematch.

Comment

Originally posted by lopetego View Post
      Same reason JMM-Pacquiao 5 didn't happen

Because Ali didn't think he could win a rematch

or because even if he did, it would be very hard to top his original W, one of the most iconic of all time
      The rematch didn't happen because Foreman didn't want it. Foreman went into a serious state of depression after the loss and retired shortly after the Ali loss. When you have an ego as big as George Foreman's (think Prince Naseem Hamed), a loss is the ultimate form of pain.

Comment

Another interesting match that I would have liked to have seen is Foreman vs Larry Holmes.

Comment

Better question is why didnt Foreman rematch Lyle

Comment

Originally posted by VatoMulatto View Post
            Foreman didn't look impressive against Lyle didn't really mean anything. Just like Ali didn't look impressive against Wepner in his first fight after the Rumble in the jungle,

Foreman was still a beast and knocked Lyle out in five rounds and then KO'd Frazier again and KO'd three more fighters inside five rounds. Unfortunately he lost to Young and retired but that was the fight that I'm sure the general public wanted to see again.

I wonder if Foreman was pushing for a rematch after his lay off and how Ali thought about fighting Foreman again. Too bad the fight never happened because It would've been very interesting to see how the rematch would've played out.

Wepner stepped on Ali's foot and there is even a picture of it. That wasn't a legitimate knock down. I also don't see how Ali didn't look good in that fight. He beat the crap out of Wepner and was the first fighter to knock Wepner diwn.

Comment

Ali felt that alpha field negro's power and didn't want anymore.

Muhammad suffered brain damage in that fight. It was a wise choice to duck Foreman.

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx... View Post
                Better question is why didnt Foreman rematch Lyle
                Wouldn't matter, Big George scrambled Lyles brains in their fight. Foreman would have 1st round KO'd Lyle in a rematch.

In a rematch, Foreman adjusts his attack and KO's Ali late. Stop defending Ali's ducking.

Comment

Originally posted by big_james10 View Post
                  The rematch didn't happen because Foreman didn't want it. Foreman went into a serious state of depression after the loss and retired shortly after the Ali loss. When you have an ego as big as George Foreman's (think Prince Naseem Hamed), a loss is the ultimate form of pain.
                  Dude, don't talk out of your ass

Foreman was Obsessed with fighting Ali again, he was constantly calling him out in media

Ali avoided him like the plague and fought lesser guys instead, then Foreman unexpectedly lost to Young

that was a lethal blow to George's already wounded ego so he retired.
                  only after losing to Young he forgot about Ali

Comment

Originally posted by muslimer12 View Post
                    Lmao you saying Ali was knocked down by wepner means you havent seen the fight. Who said Ali didnt look impressive against Wepner? He beat him up, it just didnt mean much since it was Wepner. But it inspired Rocky so its cool. Foreman barely got passed Lyle, then KOs frazier someone he already KOd worse before, and Frazier after the thrilla in Manila was a shell of himself. Then KOs a bunch of bums, and loses to Jimmy Young. He had a bad career after the Ali fight cuz his confidence was completely gone. Just watch his biography. Rematch would of been worse for Foreman. And Foreman was only active for 1 year after! Ali actually fights all the top guys in the division, Foreman should of got it together and kept fighting. Ali waited 3 years to rematch Frazier, and fought all the top guys not named Frazier in the mean time. Ali had no problem fighting Foreman, but when foreman has a year lay off, the a year of unimpressive wins, loses to young, then retire after, its not easy lol Just read the history
                    Sure I've seen the fight and yes people still talk about whether that was a legitimate knockdown or not but all we know the knockdown is a statisical fact of the fight.

Back to Foreman vs Ali II. Once again I cant see how anyone would think the fight would be pointless. Had the fight took place after his win over Frazier it would've been a huge fight. Foreman was still a top fighter and when you keep on knocking your opponents out the hype of a rematch will obviously be there. Young was not a bad fighter, he was a very good slick counter puncher but I know Foreman felt he was robbed against Young. We can say Jimmy Young arguably beat both Foreman and Ali. Muhammed Ali got a gift in that fight. Quite boring fight but Young won IMO.

Ali vs Foreman II is one of those fantasy fights that never happened that I always wanted to see.

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx... View Post
                      He knocked Foreman out and the fight wasnt even close...why rematch?
                      A focused Foreman with an improved strategy KO's Ali.

Comment

Working...
                      X