Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why are people celebrating hbo pulling out of boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because Heinrich box office started catering to UFC fans, who actually don’t watch boxing regularly, with their constant mismatches and bias commentary. It has nothing to do with Al Harmon for some of us. HBO’s commentary has been biased for the last 20 years or so

Comment

Sad HBO Boxing is gone...happy that I don't have to listen to Jim Lampley no more!

Also KARMA for people like you who bash everybody else but HBO because they was showing the Eastern European Fighters you're obsessed with...

Kinda funny tho how people (like yourself) wished bad on PBC and was celebrating when they thought things was going bad for them to now starting threads like that when KARMA occurs and it is HBO Boxing that Shuts down and not PBC...

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
        There are WELL over 10,000 active pro boxers in the world. a single entity cannot manage that volume of fighters......
        C'mon Terry, we've been over this before. There are over 10,000 active pro basketball players in the world. A single entity can't manage that volume of players. But they don't have to. As long as the public recognizes one league as the dominant league, the rest can still exist, but the US public has one champion they accept as the world champion.

Do you remember when you wrote this to me:

"No broadcast network is going to make a 7 or 8 figure content deal for boxing. It isnt going to happen. Not with Haymon, or anyone else. Accept it."

How's that looking now?

And why didn't you respond about out $100,000 bet on whether Wilder vs. Fury takes place this year?

Comment

I'm sad tbh. To watch something so great from my childhood, as long as I can remember, die the way HBO boxing did sucks. My Dad was a boxing fan with KO magazine and RING lol. I was born into watching boxing and loved it. I have so many great memories of fights and fighters on HBO boxing. I got to watch Floyd go from a young Champion all the way through his prime on HBO boxing. I got to watch prime Roy Jones go from middleweight up to Heavyweight. Besides the guys listed before here is a list of fighters I liked watching on HBO: Oscar De La Hoya, Shane Mosley, Felix Trinidad, Ike Quartey, Fernando Vargas, Ricardo Mayorga, Vernon Forrest, Pernell Whitaker, Miguel Cotto, Manny Pacquiao, Juan Manuel Marquez, Erik Morales, Marco Antonio Barrera, Lennox Lewis, Evander Holyfield, Riddick Bowe, Mike Tyson, George Foreman, James Toney, David Tua, Arturo Gatti, Johnny Tapia, Naseem Hamed, David Reid, Diego Corrales, Acelino Freitas, Jose Luis Castillo, Zab Judah, Jermain Taylor, Kelly Pavlik, etc... etc... lol

Comment

Im not celebrating, but with a consistently shrinking budget I think they were doing as much harm as good to the sport at this point.

Comment

Larry Merchant should've been fired when Tyson wanted him fired to stay. Instead Tyson left and went to Showtime for more $. Then Merchant's bias continued to piss off numerous fighters like Roy Jones
              Bernard Hopkins and Floyd Mayweather. I feel like Merchant had a lot to do with Floyd leaving along with more $. Larry Merchant didn't like fighters that didn't eat punches and trade.

Lampley turned into a bias cheerleader. He's tried numerous times to influence how the audience should judge, the judges should judge, and his fellow cohorts like Lederman should judge. All while saying stupid **** like, "bang, bang, bang, bang." He calls phantom punches and all. He got terrible with age and should've been replaced.

Herald Lederman scores fights based on whatever he pulls out of his ass half the time. I've wondered if Hellen Keller was scoring or Herald more times than you can count. His daughter seems about as dumb and blind as him sometimes too... and she's an official judge.

Roy Jones is showing his CTE. That and his conflicting HBO toe the line vs 100 Roy shows.

Max Kellerman is a ******. He's a wannabe historian. He's a wannabe irl I bet too.

Losing Floyd and Al Haymon hurt HBO a lot. They tried the European hype job movement with budget cuts. HBO did well until Bob left and their hype jobs got exposed.

Was sad to watch it end when it could've stayed the best but got better. Hopefully Showtime, ESPN, and even DAZN can make boxing thrive and give great fights. HBO set the bar high in their prime and we need that level or better.

Comment

I'm glad so long as boxing still gets coverage. HBO had become incredibly biased I think that favourite fighters on the channel would get preferential treatment. Never forget when on the fight game after Pac Marquez 4 Lampley refused to award Marquez fighter of the year because it was likely he was on something due to his affiliation with memo.

So he was prepared to ignore years of rumours linked to Pac but nothing for Marquez?

Never forget the old drunk getting in the ring to say he'd batter Floyd if he was 50 years younger how unprofessional was that? the guys completely lost touch with what actual boxing fans wanted.

A racial aspect existed not just from certain fans but others black fight fans were referred to as the demographic? it as mad I think HBO really believed that american fans would rather support Eastern Europeans over Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post
                  Sad HBO Boxing is gone...happy that I don't have to listen to Jim Lampley no more!

Also KARMA for people like you who bash everybody else but HBO because they was showing the Eastern European Fighters you're obsessed with...

Kinda funny tho how people (like yourself) wished bad on PBC and was celebrating when they thought things was going bad for them to now starting threads like that when KARMA occurs and it is HBO Boxing that Shuts down and not PBC...

Comment

Originally posted by WBC WBA IBF View Post
                    What we're celebrating is one less split in the road that prevents big fights from happening.

Eventually there will be one dominant league, like UFC, and we'll get all the fights we want.

Whether it's PBC, Top Rank, or a merger, one dominant league is the best thing that could ever happen for US boxing fans.

HBO holding a few fighters hostage with no relevant opponents isn't in the best interest of boxing fans.
                    There was one less split before pbc. Why are you celebrating again?

Comment

Originally posted by Real boxer View Post
                      There was one less split before pbc. Why are you celebrating again?
                      That's a lie. PBC didn't appear out of thin air to create an additional split like DAZN did. It just took over Showtime's island.

Comment

Working...
                      X