No announcement yet.

Fights where if everything was equal fighter B would've beaten fighter A

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SouthEastBeast View Post
    This, plus the opponent might change his gameplan if the guy was bigger. Might box more instead of walking him down etc. Golovkin might have boxed differently if Brook was bigger and had more pop. Same concept in Mayweather - McGregor though not about size, but skill. If McGregor was a better boxer, Floyd wouldn't have walked him down like that. You would never see Floyd fight like that against anyone whose boxing he respects. If that was your only time seeing Mayweather box, you would think he's nothing special.
    This too... absolutely. Like the opponent is gonna fight the same fight with (in effect) a totally different guy in front of 'em?

Comment

Originally posted by Sheldon312 View Post
      Crawford vs Gamboa at 135

Gamboa was tagging and schooling Crawford in the early rounds. Even though Gamboa was the smaller man, he was still able to hurt Crawford and nearly knocked him down. If Gamboa was a natural 135
      pounder, I think he would've too or UD Crawford due to tremendous punching power and hand speed.

GGG vs Kell Brook

Another example of size being too much. Kell Brook was outboxing GGG in the early rounds and boxing tremendously. Had Kell Brook been a natural Middle Weight he would've outboxed GGG and won clear UD

Hagler vs Duran

Hagler was a more versatile fighter but Duran was better from range, in the middle, and on the inside. This would've been similar to their fight but Duran would've been way too aggressive and probably would've been the first to stop Hagler. Hagler won the fight off size. Duran being the same size would've been a different animal.

These are the only three that come to mind. Does anybody have any other examples of size being the only reason fighter A best fighter B?

Crawford's best attribute has been his ability to adjust mid fight.

gamboa loses at any weight to bud. crawford is s a more complete fighter

brook loses to ggg at any weight. not because of size or talent but because he isnt willing to go through hell to win a fight. the spence fight proves this. brook was winning the fight and once it got tough. brook fell apart.

ggg is very beatable, but you have to be willing to go through some fire to beat him. brook aint that guy

i wont argue with you on duran vs hagler

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
        You do get that if you make a smaller guy bigger it slows him down and reduces his stamina, doncha? That the advantages which allowed them success would be reduced or neutralised? It's one of the (many) reasons why P4P is such a ridiculous concept, too. Different attributes are required in different proportions for success at different sizes.
        Then why does P4P exist then?

Comment

Originally posted by bluebeam View Post
          Crawford's best attribute has been his ability to adjust mid fight.

gamboa loses at any weight to bud. crawford is s a more complete fighter

brook loses to ggg at any weight. not because of size or talent but because he isnt willing to go through hell to win a fight. the spence fight proves this. brook was winning the fight and once it got tough. brook fell apart.

ggg is very beatable, but you have to be willing to go through some fire to beat him. brook aint that guy

i wont argue with you on duran vs hagler
          yes, he is more complete but if he was the same size and still had that power and speed, he would've iced him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheldon312 View Post
            Then why does P4P exist then?
            Cos boxing fans love to argue over shit I think. That's my best theory anyway.

Nah. The dude to ask about how the term arose is probably my man Marchegiano, but for me it's essentially in recognition of the fact that pretty much every thinking person recognises that size matters... and that no matter what folk would have you believe bigger ain't always better.

Problem is - how the f do you even start to compare guys who can never fight? And it's just as bad when folk start trying to make fantasy match ups between current fighters and great fighters from the past.

Meh. But that's just me trying to suck the fun outta everything. Boxing forums wouldn't exist if boxing fans weren't allowed to do that weird fantasy shit I think..
            Last edited by Citizen Koba; 12-27-2018, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Mike Tyson vs Kevin McBride

Comment

Baldimore beat Judah would be your prime example or Leon Spinks beating Ali. Buster Douglas beat Mike Tyson

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
                  The narrative that Golovkin was out boxed in the first 4 rounds by Brook is simply not true. Its been repeated so many times that people are taking it as fact. In the first round for example Golovkin landed 30 punches vs 19 for Brook. He out landed him in every round and at a higher percentage. I don't know how this nonsense got started but it's ridiculous.

I agree.

Brook won a round, possibly two. He landed some flush shots, so people automatically say GGG was outboxed. I bet half the people who say that didn't even watch the whole fight.

Comment

Klitschko vs Povetkin and David Haye

Comment

Maybe Lomachenko vs Rigondeaux

Comment

Working...
                      X