Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guillermo Rigondeaux vs. Nonito Donaire: who would win?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
    Before the Marroquin fight I believed Donaire-Rigondeaux was a toss-up, with Nonito having the edge. Now I feel that Rigo simply isn't ready yet. If they were to fight today, I would definitely favor Donaire. I can see Guillermo being even more tentative than usual, in the ring with a known puncher like Nonito. That would get him outworked. And if Marroquin could rock Rigo, Donaire might actually take him out. "El Chacal" is only eleven fights into his pro career. He needs more work. He'll improve. Hopefully my concerns about his chin are overdone.

his chin's not great, but doniare isnt a steady sort of fighter that will break a man down with a jab, pressure, body work, etc.

he looks to land bombs. single shots, for the most part.

i think rigo would be too smart to get hit with the bombs. maybe i'm wrong, but i think he'd be too cautious to be stopped.

Comment

Donaire for me is one of the most overrated fighters in boxing history, I genuinely believe that.

Go on about Rigondeaux getting hit twice over a 12 round period all you like. Marroquin had over 300 amateur fights with key wins over Gary Russell Jr & Broner, he was 22-1 in the pro ranks and clearly has some good power.

Getting hit twice over 12 rounds by Marroquinn >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Getting hit 500 times repeatedly by Mathebula.
      Vazquez Jr couldn't miss him either.

Look at the trouble Mathebula gave Donaire and with no disrespect he is one of the most technically horrendous fighters I've honestly ever seen.

Rigondeaux couldn't miss Donaire if he fcuking tried. Hes a one trick pony, open to be hit with anything & everything.

If this fight goes ahead you'll see the difference between an A+ talent and some sloppy B level guy with naff all but a powerful left hook that only looks good against guys who press him.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
        Donaire for me is one of the most overrated fighters in boxing history, I genuinely believe that.

Go on about Rigondeaux getting hit twice over a 12 round period all you like. Marroquin had over 300 amateur fights with key wins over Gary Russell Jr & Broner, he was 22-1 in the pro ranks and clearly has some good power.

Getting hit twice over 12 rounds by Marroquinn >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Getting hit 500 times repeatedly by Mathebula.

Look at the trouble Mathebula gave Donaire and with no disrespect he is one of the most technically horrendous fighters I've honestly ever seen.

Rigondeaux couldn't miss Donaire if he fcuking tried. Hes a one trick pony, open to be hit with anything & everything.

If this fight goes ahead you'll see the difference between an A+ talent and some sloppy B level guy with naff all but a powerful left hook that only looks good against guys who press him.
        Marroquin's style is closer to Donaire's than Rigo's style is to Mathebula's. Not to mention the difference in height and reach.

It's funny that you call Donaire overrated when he has demolished P4P fighters, yet you're hyping a guy who has yet step in the ring with a worldclass fighter.

You also thought Khan would destroy Garcia easily so I'll take your A/B/C ranking with a grain of salt.

Comment

he's highly overrated, but so was / is rigondeaux

let's be fair, the man blew rico ramos out of the water, and people were ready to break out the anointing oil

at least donaire knocked out borderline hall of famers (darchinyan, montiel,) to get his rating.

the montiel kayo is as prolific a one punch knockout at BW as you will ever see

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
            Marroquin's style is closer to Donaire's than Rigo's style is to Mathebula's. Not to mention the difference in height and reach.

It's funny that you call Donaire overrated when he has demolished P4P fighters, yet you're hyping a guy who has yet step in the ring with a worldclass fighter.

You also thought Khan would destroy Garcia easily so I'll take your A/B/C ranking with a grain of salt.

P4P fighters that was absolutely tiny, 112 & 115lb'ers that are barely 5ft3 on their damn tip toes.
            I'd personally class Corboda & Ramos as borderline world class, I think they're underrated especially Corboda whose a big awkward southpaw who nobody has ever had it easy with. Hes a good underrated fighter.

I did but who didn't really? I can't predict every fight correctly and big/mild upsets can happen. I only seen around two people on this entire board picking Garcia and they were both from Philly.
            I am not saying I am an amazing predictor but majority of the time, I am right in these big fights and these people with the ''Y'kno **** about boxing'' attitude are the ones who are wrong and usually not seen again I.E Mushadeen who harped on for months, years.

I have no doubt that Rigondeaux is cuts above Donaire. If they fought 100 times I'd expect Rigondeaux to beat him 98 times or more. Too fast, too much skill & ring I.Q
            Failing to see what is so special about Donaire tbh apart from a sledgehammer left hook.

Lets see how he looks against an aging Nishioka because I believe he looks horrific against southpaws except against a tiny Darchinyan whose wreckless as hell.

Comment

I have no doubt that Rigondeaux is cuts above Donaire. If they fought 100 times I'd expect Rigondeaux to beat him 98 times or more. Too fast, too much skill & ring I.Q
              Failing to see what is so special about Donaire tbh apart from a sledgehammer left hook.

Lets see how he looks against an aging Nishioka because I believe he looks horrific against southpaws except against a tiny Darchinyan whose wreckless as hell.
              That's why give 98 or MORE wins for Rogo.

Comment

He has power in that left hook which is all he really does have and once he realises he can't land it, plan B is simply to get wilder and wilder. He starts doing monkey impressions infront of Rigondeaux he will get sniped.

I put 98/100 because I'd give him one chance of a hail Mary left hook, 1/100 chance and 1/100 chance of getting a gift decision.
                He hasn't knocked anybody out at the weight.
                Its all well and good he has a potent left hook but landing it is a totally different scenario.
                Hell Mathebula took it away from him for most part & made him look foolish outlanding him by near a 150 punches. You think Rigondeaux can't take his primary weapon away knowing their is no secondary?

Might hit him once with it but you sure as hell won't get a second chance so make it a good en.

Quite glad Rigondeaux didn't look fantastic as he may lure Donaire in now and I'll bet every point I have at even odds to anybody picking Donaire. This guy is flatout noway near the class of The Cuban. If his competition and monkey dancing impresses you, bet me.

Comment

P4P fighters that was absolutely tiny, 112 & 115lb'ers that are barely 5ft3 on their damn tip toes.
                  I'd personally class Corboda & Ramos as borderline world class, I think they're underrated especially Corboda whose a big awkward southpaw who nobody has ever had it easy with. Hes a good underrated fighter.

I did but who didn't really? I can't predict every fight correctly and big/mild upsets can happen. I only seen around two people on this entire board picking Garcia and they were both from Philly.
                  I am not saying I am an amazing predictor but majority of the time, I am right in these big fights and these people with the ''Y'kno **** about boxing'' attitude are the ones who are wrong and usually not seen again I.E Mushadeen who harped on for months, years.

isn't darchinyan like 5'5" and montiel is like 5'4".. donaire isn't that much taller himself he's like 5'6"...donaire still remains the only person to stop darchinyan. look at what darchinyan accomplished after losing to donaire. also montiel outweighed donaire on fight night...this height excuse to discredit donaire is beyond pathetic..if height is such an issue then i guess guys like arguello was overrated and morales just picked on guys shorter than he was. donaire is a champ in 3 divisons, has spectacular kos over darchinyan and montiel, and is close to becoming the first undisputed asian boxer. i hope donaire and rigo fight next year, so he can ko rigo and be done with it.
                  Last edited by Bermuda; 09-16-2012, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Rigo by KO

Rigo by Ko in 9

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                      his chin's not great, but doniare isnt a steady sort of fighter that will break a man down with a jab, pressure, body work, etc.

he looks to land bombs. single shots, for the most part.

i think rigo would be too smart to get hit with the bombs. maybe i'm wrong, but i think he'd be too cautious to be stopped.
                      I think this is a good post. Donaire can be inconsistent with his activity and fights with more talent than smarts. He can sometimes be predictable. That said, if he lands what Marroquin did (and he could; 12 rounds is a long night), that's a bad scene for Rigo. I'd favor Donaire solidly if they fought on activity because he'd move his hands more.

The one fighter I think would take Rigo apart, tactically, is Moreno. Volume and defense would blunt Rigo's too precise offense.

Comment

Working...
                      X