No announcement yet.

Max Holloway: At 155, Khabib fight ‘might excite me the most’

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max Holloway: At 155, Khabib fight ‘might excite me the most’

Dana White wants Max Holloway to move up to lightweight. In that division, there are no shortage of potentially amazing matchups.

There’s Conor McGregor, the last man to beat Holloway back in 2013. There’s Tony Ferguson, whose frenetic style would pair dazzlingly well with the Hawaiian. And then there’s lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov, whom Holloway was supposed to face at UFC 223 back in April.

That latter scenario might be the one that intrigues Holloway the most, he said at the UFC 231 post-fight press conference Saturday night in Toronto after defending his featherweight belt against Brian Ortega.

“Khabib is another undefeated fighter,” Holloway said. “I got this niche, I guess. I just gave an undefeated fighter his first loss. So maybe that one might excite me the most. We were supposed to have that one. So we’ll see what happens. I don’t know. I ain’t picky. Feed me. They all can get it.”

Holloway (20-3), who has won 13 in a row, finished Ortega in incredibly impressive fashion. He poured it on Ortega in the fourth round and the doctor would not allow the Los Angeles product to come out for the fifth. On the judges’ cards, Holloway won every round. One judge had him winning one of them with a dominant, 10-8.

The victory was even more impressive considering the circumstances. Holloway, 27, had not fought in a year, since a fourth-round TKO win over Jose Aldo at UFC 218 in December 2017. The last 12 months have been marred by injuries, failed weight cuts and concussion-like symptoms that forced him out of a scheduled fight with Ortega at UFC 226 in July.

Now, with very little left to do at 145, the UFC seems to have Holloway moving up in its sights.

“Dana White is the boss,” Holloway said. “The boss is looking for superfights. All the UFC guys, you guys — you guys be talking about me fighting at 55 for super fights. I keep hearing the name Conor, Khabib.

“Everybody talks about the top three guys. Everybody talks about Tony. Everybody wants to see me and Conor, because we fought when I was a kid. A long time ago. Dennis beat that Max, too — Dennis Bermudez beat that Max a couple years ago. So, the top 20 featherweights in the world — 30 — would beat that Max. It is what it is.”

Ferguson, meanwhile, tweeted that he wouldn’t mind fighting Holloway if a title fight with Nurmagomedov falls through for him. Holloway said he didn’t decline, especially after someone this week in Toronto mistook him for Ferguson.

“We’ll see what happens,” Holloway said. “That’s a fun fight. You guys watched Embedded, somebody called me Tony. We’ve got a bone to pick.”

The name on the other side of the marquee doesn’t seem to matter to Holloway. At lightweight, “Blessed” has a full plate in front of him. And that’s just how he likes it.

“As a competitor, I have three losses,” Holloway said. “So I want to get them all three back, but that’s just me. I want to fight everyone, whoever. As a competitor, I’ll fight whoever. If you tell me some guy is the best, let’s do it. Is this the best guy? I’m gonna fight you then. Put your dukes up, let’s trade blows.”

i've never really watch fights of max but after saturday im a new fan! this guy is a beast! no idea why i didnt pick up on him sooner. even after the jose aldo fight i was like ehhhh.. but im a fan now.

Comment

White will do anything to keep his $ away from Tony Ferguson. Ferguson beats Khabib (tko) and Halloway (UD).

Comment

Khabib and Ferguson needs to happen. They already scheduled it before and someone always gets hurt. He's the #1 contender, has to be the next fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
          White will do anything to keep his $ away from Tony Ferguson. Ferguson beats Khabib (tko) and Halloway (UD).
          I actually think there's a good chance tony loses to both guy's. And Dana has set up khabib vs Tony 4 times now, and soon enough there will be a 5th.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
            Well the Khabib fight fell through on three occasions already, twice because of Ferguson, and once because of Khabib.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
              Khabib and Ferguson needs to happen. They already scheduled it before and someone always gets hurt. He's the #1 contender, has to be the next fight.
              3 times is unreal. Its like its never meant to happen. Its a shame because Ferguson IMO has the best chance to beat him because he's really good at scrambling and working off his back.

Max is a beast and I think its time to move up especially after that health scare over the summer. I think he is live against all of them but Khabib poses the most threat.

Any combination of Connor, Max, Ferguson, or Diaz would be absolute fuego.

Comment

We almost saw him vs Khabib last time; I’d watch if it were to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnston View Post
                  I actually think there's a good chance tony loses to both guy's. And Dana has set up khabib vs Tony 4 times now, and soon enough there will be a 5th.
                  i actually have tony beating both max and khabib.. max is too small for 155. max's body is not built for that weight.

Comment

Originally posted by .WesternChamp. View Post
                    i actually have tony beating both max and khabib.. max is too small for 155. max's body is not built for that weight.
                    Me too! I actually have Ferguson beating Khabib easier than Holloway though. I think Holloway will do great at 155 though.

Comment

Working...
                    X