No announcement yet.

Floyd Patterson vs Jersey Joe Walcott

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Patterson vs Jersey Joe Walcott

Who takes this fight? Best version of each?

Jersey Joe. Better counter-puncher, better chin. Bigger hitter.

Comment

Patterson had a habit of fighting in spurts. He also wasn't terribly hard to find on the chin.

Even a green Quarry was quite a bit better than the best Walcott, even if Walcott hit slightly harder on the counter.

If Patterson applies the same strategy he did against Quarry, he makes Walcott look like an awkward turtle: attempting to counter someone who's not really giving him opportunities to counter.... except for when Floyd DOES come forward, and in the spurts he absolutely had the chance to badly hurt Walcott. Even a stoppage isn't out of the question - unlikely, but not impossible.

Floyd Patterson, by hard earned UD.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
        Jersey Joe. Better counter-puncher, better chin. Bigger hitter.
        Walcott was good at loading up on fighters who stood in front of him long enough to be countered. Quarry might not have had a single punch as hard as Joe's and didn't have the evasive footwork, but he was a much better counter puncher. Much.

Patterson took his foot off the gas and it gave young Jerry problems. It would give Walcott fits. And while Jerry was TOO good at taking punches for his own good, Walcott wasn't terribly hard to rattle. Not for a puncher of Floyd's calibre.

Comment

Patterson is in the bottom ten of heavyweight champs. Joe's footwork alone would KO Floyd cold.

Comment

Originally posted by uncle ben View Post
            Who takes this fight? Best version of each?
            Ben I love you to death man... But a lot of these match ups you come up with are goofy man! which is why it gives me great pleasure to say... You hit upon an interesting one!

Jersey is a better fighter than Patterson, I believe... But Patterson brings some interesting skills that neutralize Jersey Joe in some pretty relevant respects.

Im going to bank on something regarding floyd P: Im going to assume that he does not let that little voice in the back of his head say "hey I can mix it up!" Like Holyfield, who did it better than Floyd, Patterson occasionally had to get off his fast feet, his nice combos and slug it out... Like he did with da big Swede! No way he gets away with this with JJ...

Jersey Joe could fight men who were usually not made in the model of Patterson, and use speed and positioning to catch them and keep them on their heels (not literally). Thing is, when did he face a guy who might be faster than him and more elusive?

I mean he had lots of fights with boxer punchers who had power and could move well... Maxim, Charles, Washington... But Floyd was more elusive and would at his best? would not need to mix it up.

It appears from the Maxim fights that Jersey Joe could be coaxed into a boxing match... and could lose on points. If maxim could do it, Patterson a great chance. It should be noted that Patterson lost to Maxim on a unanimous decision... I can't really put that in a context that makes sense... But I do think "styles make fights" sometimes and this is one of those times. I could see Patterson taking a decision...If they fought more times? JJ adjusts and its a different ballgame.
            Last edited by billeau2; 09-08-2020, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
              Walcott was good at loading up on fighters who stood in front of him long enough to be countered. Quarry might not have had a single punch as hard as Joe's and didn't have the evasive footwork, but he was a much better counter puncher. Much.

Patterson took his foot off the gas and it gave young Jerry problems. It would give Walcott fits. And while Jerry was TOO good at taking punches for his own good, Walcott wasn't terribly hard to rattle. Not for a puncher of Floyd's calibre.
              Floyd was already damaged goods by the time he met Quarry. The two KO losses to Liston took something out of him. Floyd struggled or lost to lesser fighters than Walcott, Johansson being one of them. In fairness to Patterson, Walcott lost to much lesser fighters than Floyd. Walcott hit his stride later in his career. Patterson's stride was cut short in his prime by Liston. A pre-Liston Patterson vs. the version of Walcott who was robbed against Louis and twice defeated Charles leaves me to believe Walcott would take Patterson's best punches and cut off the ring leaving Patterson forced to fight Walcott's fight.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                Patterson is in the bottom ten of heavyweight champs. Joe's footwork alone would KO Floyd cold.
                Leave it to you to say something r3tarded.

Walcott's footwork is grossly overrrated. How'd that footwork serve him in the rematch with Louis?

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                Ben I love you to death man... But a lot of these match ups you come up with are goofy man! which is why it gives me great pleasure to say... You hit upon an interesting one!

Jersey is a better fighter than Patterson, I believe... But Patterson brings some interesting skills that neutralize Jersey Joe in some pretty relevant respects.

Im going to bank on something regarding floyd P: Im going to assume that he does not let that little voice in the back of his head say "hey I can mix it up!" Like Holyfield, who did it better than Floyd, Patterson occasionally had to get off his fast feet, his nice combos and slug it out... Like he did with da big Swede! No way he gets away with this with JJ...

Jersey Joe could fight men who were usually not made in the model of Patterson, and use speed and positioning to catch them and keep them on their heels (not literally). Thing is, when did he face a guy who might be faster than him and more elusive?

I mean he had lots of fights with boxer punchers who had power and could move well... Maxim, Charles, Washington... But Floyd was more elusive and would at his best? would not need to mix it up.

It appears from the Maxim fights that Jersey Joe could be coaxed into a boxing match... and could lose on points. If maxim could do it, Patterson a great chance. It should be noted that Patterson lost to Maxim on a unanimous decision... I can't really put that in a context that makes sense... But I do think "styles make fights" sometimes and this is one of those times. I could see Patterson taking a decision...If they fought more times? JJ adjusts and its a different ballgame.
                And you wonder why you spend most hours of the day confined to a straight-jacket.

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                Floyd was already damaged goods by the time he met Quarry. The two KO losses to Liston took something out of him. Floyd struggled or lost to lesser fighters than Walcott, Johansson being one of them. In fairness to Patterson, Walcott lost to much lesser fighters than Floyd. Walcott hit his stride later in his career. Patterson's stride was cut short in his prime by Liston. A pre-Liston Patterson vs. the version of Walcott who was robbed against Louis and twice defeated Charles leaves me to believe Walcott would take Patterson's best punches and cut off the ring leaving Patterson forced to fight Walcott's fight.
                Yeah, that's not true at all. Look at his record. It's pretty cut and dry.

The only thing he lost against Liston was his title.

Patterson was too small for Liston, and approached that fight with the absolutely worst strategy.

There's nothing about his fight with Quarry that suggests he was a faded fighter. Have you seen the Ellis fight which he followed it up with?

Walcott's chin wasn't that great, his ability to avoid getting hit by subpar Heavyweights was. Patterson wasn't subpar. And Walcott didn't have the size advantage that Liston and Ali enjoyed over him.

Walcott's acclaimed footwork wasn't without its flaws either. He was at his best against Louis in the rematch... speed up to the KO. Tell me you really believe he goes 15 with Patterson, would suddenly pounce out of nowhere, without making that kind of mistake.

Patterson was also a good bit better offensively than Charles. Charles was a more complete fighter.... he had the defense that Patterson painfully lacked, but he didn't have Floyd's handspeed or power. Besides, aren't we supposed to believe that Charles' best years were behind him at Heavyweight? The guy who "beat" Louis would get raped by the Patterson that that stopped Ingo.

Ingo was a very good fighter. I admit, he lost to Patterson mostly because he gave up on himself. But that was a very dangerous man. One of the greatest punchers in the history of the sport. Patterson survived Ingo's power in the return matches. No doubt, even if he has to pick himself up off the canvas, he survives Walcott's punch.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
                  Leave it to you to say something r3tarded.

Walcott's footwork is grossly overrrated. How'd that footwork serve him in the rematch with Louis?

And you wonder why you spend most hours of the day confined to a straight-jacket.

Yeah, that's not true at all. Look at his record. It's pretty cut and dry.

The only thing he lost against Liston was his title.

Patterson was too small for Liston, and approached that fight with the absolutely worst strategy.

There's nothing about his fight with Quarry that suggests he was a faded fighter. Have you seen the Ellis fight which he followed it up with?

Walcott's chin wasn't that great, his ability to avoid getting hit by subpar Heavyweights was. Patterson wasn't subpar. And Walcott didn't have the size advantage that Liston and Ali enjoyed over him.

Walcott's acclaimed footwork wasn't without its flaws either. He was at his best against Louis in the rematch... speed up to the KO. Tell me you really believe he goes 15 with Patterson, would suddenly pounce out of nowhere, without making that kind of mistake.

Patterson was also a good bit better offensively than Charles. Charles was a more complete fighter.... he had the defense that Patterson painfully lacked, but he didn't have Floyd's handspeed or power. Besides, aren't we supposed to believe that Charles' best years were behind him at Heavyweight? The guy who "beat" Louis would get raped by the Patterson that that stopped Ingo.

Ingo was a very good fighter. I admit, he lost to Patterson mostly because he gave up on himself. But that was a very dangerous man. One of the greatest punchers in the history of the sport. Patterson survived Ingo's power in the return matches. No doubt, even if he has to pick himself up off the canvas, he survives Walcott's punch.
                  No just wonder why they let you write things like "into was one of the most dangerous punchers in the sport" your an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                    No just wonder why they let you write things like "into was one of the most dangerous punchers in the sport" your an idiot.
                    Let's put it this way. Ingo's punch would break a lot of pine boards.

I get it. You haven't Boxed. The very idea of throwing a punch is lost on you... But take it from his record, and the performances on film, at that weight, Ingo's power was remarkable. And like Wilder, he had a habit of disguising his punch very well.

You're lover boy Liston (the one beaten by Marshall and Martin) couldn't put away Machen - let alone in one round. And he needed a massive weight advantage to put away Patterson.

Comment

Working...
                    X