No announcement yet.

Who is Stevenson lined up to fight? Havenet heard much

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
    it would probably generate less revenue than kovalev-stevenson, which would at least do big numbers in canada if not in the US

kov-stevenson and kov-ward probably do roughly equal numbers on US PPV, the only difference is that GYM wants HBO to split its audience with showtime whereas kov-ward gives them 100%
    I agree it would do less than Stevenson/Kov butthat fight has more backstory and Adonis is big in Canada.

Yes, I get it. HBO is doing what is best for them. Not mad at them at all for that.

Ward/Kov is one of the most anticipated fights of the year for boxing fans despite all of us knowing there will be little buzz outside the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post
      Somebody mentioned the Fonfara rematch, and Fonfara's been tweeting about it. Also Eldier Alvarez is the WBC mandatory, I imagine that's coming up quick. There were also rumors about Edwin Rodriguez fighting Stevenson a while a ago.

To me, HBO is making a huge mistake. Their goal is to have their fighters become as big of stars as possible. Kovalev becomes a bigger star for them if he fights Stevenson on Showtime than if he fights someone like Chilemba in Russia or even some venue in the US. After the Pascal fight, hopefully somebody comes to their senses and gets that fight made, even if it's completely on Showtime.
      Thats all i heard.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
        Ward and Kov is a huge fight for true boxing fans. Its a fight between 2 of the better fighters in the world. For a casual fan like yourself, I could see why you would think otherwise.
        except the problem with your post was that you were speaking on hbo's behalf when you said hbo's backers don't want to risk losing a huge fight in ward-kovalev. lets leave me out of it since you were the one who made the claim that hbo thinks its a huge fight so lets stick to what you said. what evidence do you have that its a huge fight from hbo's perspective? neither guy is a big draw. both guys will demand high purses. the fight apparently will be on ppv which recently has seen a big decline in viewers and neither guy has ever been on ppv. so how is this a huge fight for hbo?

Comment

I agree it would do less than Stevenson/Kov butthat fight has more backstory and Adonis is big in Canada.

Yes, I get it. HBO is doing what is best for them. Not mad at them at all for that.

Ward/Kov is one of the most anticipated fights of the year for boxing fans despite all of us knowing there will be little buzz outside the sport.
          Lol no he isn't, there was less than 2000 people at the event in Toronto and it was staged at a minor hockey league arena that holds less than 8000. Stop making **** up as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
            except the problem with your post was that you were speaking on hbo's behalf when you said hbo's backers don't want to risk losing a huge fight in ward-kovalev. lets leave me out of it since you were the one who made the claim that hbo thinks its a huge fight so lets stick to what you said. what evidence do you have that its a huge fight from hbo's perspective? neither guy is a big draw. both guys will demand high purses. the fight apparently will be on ppv which recently has seen a big decline in viewers and neither guy has ever been on ppv. so how is this a huge fight for hbo?
            You won't believe the Fonfara/Stevenson fight was on PPV (in Canada). I couldn't find it on Showtime, which I was on subscription back then.

Probably only 12 viewers bought it.

Comment

Originally posted by BreWall View Post
              You won't believe the Fonfara/Stevenson fight was on PPV (in Canada). I couldn't find it on Showtime, which I was on subscription back then.

Probably only 12 viewers bought it.
              And we gotta pay for Kovalev pascal this weekend bro. We get shafted up here lol

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                They signed Ward on the condition he fight Kov. All signs point to this being HBO's marquee fight in the 4th quarter. We don't know what the purses will be as of now. We do not know how many resources HBO will set aside to market/promote it.

While both guys are not big draws, they are big names in the sport. For boxing fans this is a highly anticipated fight. I agree it will not be an "event" big among casual fans like a GGG/Canelo fight. But I never said it would be.

Among hardcore fans this will be one of the 2 or 3 most anticipated fights of the year. The winner likely elevates t the #1 p4p fighter in the world.

Comment

Respectfully, you are correct but Stevenson is not a bum. he has all the tools necessary to beat Kov. I know NSB likes to pretend its an easy win for KOv, but his backers at HBO know otherwise. Why risk him losing when you have a huge fight lined up for November.

with the news the negotiations fell through and HBO's plan to have Ward v Kov in November, I doubt it happens this year or ever.
                  Stevenson is no bum, he's the legit #2 LHW out there and Kovalev biggest challenge. It'd be big gamble for HBO to let Kovalev fight him on Showtime, but measure Kovalev's performances vs Pascal & Hopkins to Stevenson's performances vs Fonfara & Bika and Stevenson turning 39 in September, and Kovalev is a clear favorite.

Kovalev knocking off Stevenson, only makes the Ward/Kovalev ppv that much more successful. It's a gamble that could pay off big for HBO.

Comment

Originally posted by El-blanco View Post
                    Lol no he isn't, there was less than 2000 people at the event in Toronto and it was staged at a minor hockey league arena that holds less than 8000. Stop making **** up as usual.
                    Dude, are you gonna judge him solely on the last fight? I think an Adonis/Kov fight would bring more people out than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post
                      Stevenson is no bum, he's the legit #2 LHW out there and Kovalev biggest challenge. It'd be big gamble for HBO to let Kovalev fight him on Showtime, but measure Kovalev's performances vs Pascal & Hopkins to Stevenson's performances vs Fonfara & Bika and Stevenson turning 39 in September, and Kovalev is a clear favorite.

Kovalev knocking off Stevenson, only makes the Ward/Kovalev ppv that much more successful. It's a gamble that could pay off big for HBO.
                      I have it the other way around-Stevenson #1. I agree Kov would be the favorite going into the fight. I don't disagree with your assessment.

Comment

Working...
                      X