No announcement yet.

More people die taking selfies than by shark attacks

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More people die taking selfies than by shark attacks

elfies gone wrong account for more fatalities than shark attacks, a new study reveals.

According to a report in the Journal of Family Medicine and Primary Care in India, 259 people died in 137 selfie-related accidents between 2011 and 2017, compared to just 50 people killed by sharks.

Though 259 deaths over seven years doesn't sound like a lot, selfie-related fatalities are on the rise: In 2011, there were only three, but by 2017, the number of selfie-related deaths approached 100.

There have been 259 selfie-related deaths since 2011, though researchers believe the number of "selfiecides" is much higher.
    GETTY IMAGES
    The situation has even generated its own label: Selfiecide.

Earlier this year, Gigi Wu, the Instagrammer known as "Bikini Hiker," died of hypothermia after falling into a ravine while hiking up Yushan Mountain in Taiwan. Wu was known for posing on mountain summits in a swimsuit.

Last October, Indian couple Vishnu and Minaxi Moorthy fell to their deaths trying to take a selfie at Taft Overlook at Yosemite National Park. The couple's Instagram account, "Holidays and Happily Ever Afters," which had more than 25,000 followers, often showed them in dangerous situations.

Just a month earlier, Israeli teen Tomer Frankfurter fell from another Yosemite peak, Nevada Fall.

According to the study, conducted by researchers at the Indian teaching hospitals group AIIMS, the typical victim of "selfiecide" is a male and in his early 20s. A majority are from India, with smaller percentages from Russia, the United States and Pakistan. Most deaths are caused by drowning, being hit by vehicles or—as in the case of Wu, Frankfurter and the Moorthys—falling. Other causes include posing with loaded weapons, with wild animals or while driving.

Some cities have begun instituting "no selfie zones" but experts say they are often ignored.
    GETTY IMAGES
    While the report shows most deaths were the result of "risky behavior," not every selfiecide was by a wannabe daredevil. Some were from fluke accidents, like drowning after being hit by a wave.

The authors of the study call for local governments to declare "no selfie zones" in dangerous areas, like mountain peaks and atop tall buildings. In Mumbai, there are already 16 such zones, but insiders say they're widely ignored. After the 2015 death of Eri Yuanto, who fell into the crater of Mt. Merapi in Indonesia, a place for "safe selfies" was established approximately one kilometer from the Merapi's peak.

Researchers say their findings are "just the tip of iceberg."

"Certain deaths due to selfies may be reported as traffic accidents or other [things], which leads to underreporting of a large number of cases."

Ponnurangam Kumaraguru, an IT professor at Carnegie Mellon, has developed an app to address what he sees as a growing problem: Called Saftie, it houses a database of some 7,000 spots around the world deemed dangerous to take selfies.

Saftie will also alert users when they are standing close to a precipice or water.

https://www.newsweek.com/selfies-dea...ttacks-1446363

Like we always say, play dumb games and win dumb prizes. I dont feel sorry for any of those idiots because they did it to themselves. I see it alot actually when im out hiking with my wife. Always these dumb fukers taking selfies on the edge of a hill or other stupid poses.

One time I was driving and saw this mexican teen taking selfies and sht in front of a bus stop lol. I thought these social media kids post pictures to look cool? How cool is taking a selfie in front of a fkin bus stop lol

I cringe alot these days in public areas. Like i walked past this fat ugly whale taking selfies like she a supermodel or something.

Social media does more bad than good imo. It’s fkin stupid imo but im old school so.....

Comment

It's sad for people to die that way, but how stupid and careless can you be?

Comment

I don’t know why I find this hysterical.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Pichardo View Post
          I don’t know why I find this hysterical.
          Natural selection. If you're gonna be dumb you better be tough!

Comment

They died doing what they loved,being retarded.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
              Natural selection. If you're gonna be dumb you better be tough!
              Originally posted by SouthPawHitman View Post
              They died doing what they loved,being retarded.
              Lol. Y’all right. May they be weeded out

Comment

Wonder how many people died taking cock pics.

Comment

It makes sense. Sharks are not that abundant. Selfies can be taken anywhere.

Comment

anyone here got that video, of a chick taking off her top, as a passenger, and putting her head out the window, and getting her head destroyed by a telephone pole or something like that.

what a waste of poon.

Comment

Working...
                    X