Collapse
No announcement yet.

Italian Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You do understand the term "dego" is a derogatory expression for Italians & Portuguese people?
    Your a ****y young fellow who obviously missed out on some
    lessons about respect for people and you have an immature need to be noticed. Grow up sonny.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey-Louis View Post
      I was chaperoning students in Europe, we were in Assisi, the girls were shopping and I was wandering about the town (a very pretty medieval walled town) I noticed that the streets and shops had suddenly become absent of locals, only we tourist were about.

I walked into one shop and found the front end unattended. I peaked into a back room and there I saw some old men watching TV and drinking wine out of water glasses. I stuck my head in further and realized they were watching a prize fight.

Maybe because I am Italian-American and look it, they immediately invited me in.

It was Gianfranco Rosi, not a great fighter but born and raised in Assisi. The entire town had gone in doors to watch their native son fight. For the entire 12 rounds they had left the tourist to fend for themselves; no one was working the counters.

It was great, (not the fight) I watched the fight with the old men, on a small black-white TV and had a glass of vino with them. It was a great fight night (afternoon in Assisi.)

Fight over all the locals went back to ripping off the tourists.
      I trained with Vinny Pazienza. Like mine, his grandparents were from Italy. He's an American through and through in my eyes, as are so many other great fighters. Point t is, it really doesn't matter. Don't matter if I'm Italian, he's Italian....A country doesn't define toughness or accomplishments. Not with this thread is about.....just my two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
        I trained with Vinny Pazienza. Like mine, his grandparents were from Italy. He's an American through and through in my eyes, as are so many other great fighters. Point t is, it really doesn't matter. Don't matter if I'm Italian, he's Italian....A country doesn't define toughness or accomplishments. Not with this thread is about.....just my two cents.
        Poor Paz. These days he's facing legal issues galore.

Comment

You trained for a long time with Vinny? How was he in training, same craziness?

A great thing to train alongside a fighter of that caliber.

Comment

Originally posted by KidDinamita View Post
            You trained for a long time with Vinny? How was he in training, same craziness?

A great thing to train alongside a fighter of that caliber.
            Vinny was awesome. I never sparred with him, but he always had words of encouragement for the young pros and amateurs. He trained like a beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
              You do understand the term "dego" is a derogatory expression for Italians & Portuguese people?
              Your a ****y young fellow who obviously missed out on some
              lessons about respect for people and you have an immature need to be noticed. Grow up sonny.

Ray

You be good, D'ego boy, or I will toss you in one of my mixed gender matches with a very angry, large woman. The term is only derogatory if you use it that way. I use such terms with love and respect.

People take to my language. D'egos ask me to call them that, blacks want the n-word from me, Jews love it if I call them kîkes. "Do that some more," they all cry.

Allow me to educate you on your heritage. The word originally referred to Spaniards, since about half of them were named Diego. Italians were jealous, they wanted that word for their own. They had several wars with Spain over it, until they won the legitimate right to be called D'egos.

It staggers the imagination to imagine the magnanimity of the Spaniards to finance the explorations of an Italian after their precious national nickname had been stolen from them through violence.

Believe me, I have had to console and assure several Spaniards that their nickname is being given the best of care in Italy. But if you want to get on a Spaniard's good side some time, call one a D'ego, and watch him light up.

Comment

Vinny was awesome. I never sparred with him, but he always had words of encouragement for the young pros and amateurs. He trained like a beast.
                I one time saw him rough up a guy at a bar who was hounding him for a photo.. LOL

Comment

A beast for sure to come from the injury he had after the accident.

Comment

Originally posted by KidDinamita View Post
                    A beast for sure to come from the injury he had after the accident.
                    Did you ever watch the movie?

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                      Did you ever watch the movie?
                      I haven't seen it yet! I was so looking for it, I've just never got around. Is it any good?

Comment

Working...
                      X