No announcement yet.

The Superior Fighter: Prime Juan Manuel Marquez or prime Miguel Cotto

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
    Juan Manuel Marquez in his prime. Much, much better boxer. Much, much better chin. Much, much better stamina. I'd give Cotto the edge in power/strength but I don't see any other advantage.
    Some people don't remember JMM in his prime. I am from L.A and I remember watching JMM back in the Forum days in Inglewood. Beautiful skills. He was somewhat hard to hit clean. He could very well stink out a joint and be very defensive and very accurate with his punches. But, that style that he had was the reason why he wasn't embraced like MAB and EM. But, he was still very good. It was later when he was passed prime and lost a step that he became more offensive minded. i would say he was passed his prime in the Pac rematch. He was still a very good elite fighter but not in his prime.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
      the only reason he lost those fights was because he was an unpopular nobody. he clearly won both on my scorecard and i think most people would agree.
      Same here. The Norwood fight was clear, but the John fight was even more clear.

116-111 on my card and thats WITH THE BOGUS POINT DEDUCTIONS.

JMM is a master. Like a Mr. Miyagi of boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
        the only reason he lost those fights was because he was an unpopular nobody. he clearly won both on my scorecard and i think most people would agree.
        I also had JMM winning those fights.

Comment

both are truely great fighters of our time but Marquez's skill level is way above Cottos, and i believe he is also just as much id not more of a warroir than miguel...

Comment

JMM never took a knee.

Comment

cotto never ducked hamed , morales , an immediate pacquiao rematch or barrera until barrera was past it.

Comment

Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
                Some people don't remember JMM in his prime. I am from L.A and I remember watching JMM back in the Forum days in Inglewood. Beautiful skills. He was somewhat hard to hit clean. He could very well stink out a joint and be very defensive and very accurate with his punches. But, that style that he had was the reason why he wasn't embraced like MAB and EM. But, he was still very good. It was later when he was passed prime and lost a step that he became more offensive minded. i would say he was passed his prime in the Pac rematch. He was still a very good elite fighter but not in his prime.
                100% agree. Marquez was a beautiful fighter in his prime. A throwback - please believe it. Glided around the ring, made excellent use of his jab, exhibited solid defense and made you pay after he made you miss. Showed an excellent chin. Solid, not great power. It's a shame it took so long for him to get noticed while his peers (Barrera, Pac, Morales) became stars in the sport. He was clearly at their level. If fights were still 15 rounds, he'd have stopped a lot more opponents, maybe even Pac.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                  Juan Manuel Marquez in his prime. Much, much better boxer. Much, much better chin. Much, much better stamina. I'd give Cotto the edge in power/strength but I don't see any other advantage.
                  The only Marquez is better at, is his countering and maybe timing but thats really really close. People bring up Pac... did we forget Pac was a lot worse then than he is now? Pac would demolish Marquez in 6 if they met now, and please don't even bring up whose chin is better. Cotto in his entire career has been on the canvas 5 times (Torres once, Marg he took knees, 2 knockdowns in the Pac fight.) Marquez was on his ass 5 times in just three of his fights, 4 in the pacman series and once against feather fisted Floyd. On top of that Marquez got rocked by Diaz... its not even close.

Comment

What a dumb thread. Marquez is the superior fighter and its not even close.

How can you compare an ATG in Marquez to Cotto.

Marquez a true warrior, knocked down 3 times in one round, to come back and nearly win the fight. Cotto went down one knee when put in a similar situation and said NO MAS.

Comment

Originally posted by Beater_of_ass View Post
                      Cotto is more exciting, FAR FAR FAR more versatile, more powerful and faster. Marquez IMO is a bit overrated, has great counter skills but showed if the guy doesn't come to him he can't do anything else. That being said Cotto is the better all-around fighter, Marquez is simply a brilliant counter-puncher.
                      I voted Marquez but I agree with what you said. Marquez only looks incredible if his opponent attacks him. Cotto is more versatile and has a great jab.

Comment

Working...
                      X