Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Training in 20oz. gloves? (like Andre Berto - Video)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training in 20oz. gloves? (like Andre Berto - Video)

I'm sure many of you have seen Berto's punch mitt video when he was training in 20oz white Everlast gloves for the Quintana fight.

What is your take on training in gloves as heavy as 20oz?

I hear it's bad to spar in gloves over 18oz because of unrealistic defense, having a bigger "shield". I believe Cotto spars in 20oz gloves, and that's probably why his guard is so open down the middle during his fights, especially to uppercuts.

Has anyone noticed any benefits from training in bigger gloves?

I know the standard is 12oz-16oz.

As for me, I have spent 3 weeks using ONLY 18oz gloves on the bag/mitts, and I only use 16oz in sparring. I definitely feel the 16oz. being a bit lighter, thus, easier to move my hands in them.

I'm debating on going with 20oz. for my usual bag/mitt training, but sticking with 16oz to spar.

Ive used 18 and 20 OZ on the bag and mitts. I always sparred with 16 OZ no more no less.

I use the bigger gloves only for condition.

Comment

I'm a heavyweight and forced to spar with 18 oz gloves and i hate it, they feel to big, it's hard to fit punches in openings, like punching between somebody's gloves. And it's too easy to just cover up to make your partner not able to land anything clean.

I really don't see the necessity for smaller guys to use anything over 16, it could easily mess up your technique.

I spar with 18 oz and do everything else with 16 oz.

Comment

Originally posted by boxingsmash69 View Post
        I'm sure many of you have seen Berto's punch mitt video when he was training in 20oz white Everlast gloves for the Quintana fight.

What is your take on training in gloves as heavy as 20oz?

I hear it's bad to spar in gloves over 18oz because of unrealistic defense, having a bigger "shield". I believe Cotto spars in 20oz gloves, and that's probably why his guard is so open down the middle during his fights, especially to uppercuts.

Has anyone noticed any benefits from training in bigger gloves?

I know the standard is 12oz-16oz.

As for me, I have spent 3 weeks using ONLY 18oz gloves on the bag/mitts, and I only use 16oz in sparring. I definitely feel the 16oz. being a bit lighter, thus, easier to move my hands in them.

I'm debating on going with 20oz. for my usual bag/mitt training, but sticking with 16oz to spar.
        it depends on how much you weigh. i fight at 135-147 and im using 14oz gloves

Comment

For bag and mitt work, 20 or 22 oz gloves are great for conditioning, but like others have said, sparring and such with them does kinda give you false security

Comment

I train in a old school gym... I won't sparr with any one unless they have the same size gloves. We train with 16 oz . and we fight with 10 oz and 8 oz.

Comment

I spar and train in 14oz twins ...**** those big arsed gloves

Comment

Originally posted by Mrpedigree View Post
                Any reason for disapproving of heavier gloves?

From what I heard, your boy Calzaghe also used 20oz gloves in training. I remember seeing training footage of Calzaghe wearing oddly oversized gloves on the bags. I'm sure it's not the only factor, but look at the handspeed of Berto and Calzaghe, very fast for their weight classes.

Even if "science" finalizes that training in heavier gloves, then fighting in gloves half of the size does not improve handspeed, and if it's just a "placebo" effect, maybe that mentality (even if false) is a big plus in mental confidence anyways? Seems like a win situation to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrpedigree View Post
                  nice. i use the same

Comment

I make my guys train with 16oz gloves and spar with the same size. There are 2 guys that spar with 20oz gloves but I don't see any reason to use 10-12oz gloves in training or sparring.

The point is you want to train, make your conditioning better. Also sparring with small gloves is ******ed, why would you want to risk a cut before a fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X