Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will my athleticism help me with boxing technique?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will my athleticism help me with boxing technique?

Hello, I am new to this forum. In a couple of days, I have my first boxing session on the team. I am in phenomenal shape. Very athletic. I’m 5”10 and 168 pounds. However, I can squat 365 lbs, deadlift 405 lbs, run a mile in under 6 minutes, dunk a basketball, and also do hundreds of pushups and sit-ups with no rest. Mostly, I’ll just do kettlebell, body weight and road work. What I’m asking is, will my athleticism assist me in boxing such as throwing a punch, movement, footwork, etc? Or is it purely skill and none of my athletic feats will matter once I am matched up?
    Last edited by Dawn-nightmarex; 12-08-2019, 08:58 PM.

Originally posted by Dawn-nightmarex View Post
    Hello, I am new to this forum. In a couple of days, I have my first boxing session on the team. I am in phenomenal shape. Very athletic. I’m 5”10 and 168 pounds. However, I can squat 365 lbs, deadlift 405 lbs, run a mile in under 6 minutes, dunk a basketball, and also do hundreds of pushups and sit-ups with no rest. What I’m asking is, will my athleticism assist me in boxing such as throwing a punch, movement, footwork, etc? Or is it purely skill and none of my athletic feats will matter once I am matched up?
    Any videos of what you can do?

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
      Any videos of what you can do?
      Not at the moment, but I could make some.

Comment

It depends on how you're built and other factors such as fast twitch fibers. Sometimes being bulky can hinder someones speed and hand endurance. If you have good explosiveness and decent speed then you just need to focus on technique and your body will follow suit.

Comment

Skill + athleticism will always produce better results than just skill, obviously.

It's just a matter of how well skilled you are in boxing

Comment

sounds like you are already conditioned
            , you just need to learn the sport and start training.

Comment

Working...
            X