Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Wilder Weighs In Even Lower Than For Ortiz Fight; Fury 256.5

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bronx23 View Post
    So he's sick again this time around is what youre saying? Cuz thats why he said he came in light against Ortiz.

BTW I don't think there's anything wrong with him coming in light. I just took the "I was lighter 'cause I was sick" thing as an excuse for not looking as dominant in the fight.

Him coming in lighter both times is strategic. They knew in the Ortiz fight that Ortiz would be stalking and they wanted to be able to use the ring and tire him out with quick feet. This time they want to be light on the feet cuz they know they'll be chasing Fury all night or however long it lasts.
    No, I’m saying they said he was sick before the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by R01 View Post
      It does seem like a wide margin. I think whats really impressive how he can generate such force with that stature.

Also, if Fury with that size decides to unload bombs..it can get real interesting.
      I think the speed of his punches coming in helps a lot. Speed plus strength equal power. Guys much bigger may have more strength, but not near the power.

Comment

Originally posted by Toffee View Post
        Firstly, let's assume that Fury is not a shot fighter. That's what Deontay will have to prepare for, what Fury will have to believe and if it's not the case, then everything else is irrelevant.

So continuing...

Strange people saying the weight doesn't matter. It's a multi million dollar fight. They're not surprised by their weights, it's been a planned and measured process. If Wilder is coming in light then it's planned.

Thing is, Wilder hasn't fought a proper big man. You'd assume at that weight he'll be faster... so what? Does it mean he wants to fight on the outside behind his jab?

All well and good, but Fury isn't slow. He can go to Southpaw, which confused the hell out of Wilder when he fought Ortiz. And Fury's also got the height and reach advantage.

Wilder usually has those advantages which is why he can throw bombs. He picks the distance he wants to fight at and smashes jabs and straight rights (followed by windmills).

I think his power is a myth - any heavyweight can throw. It's whether they choose to risk their chin and do it. Without those advantages, I think he'll be forced to step in... where he's facing a man taller and heavier than him. He'll get bullied and leant on.

If Fury is for real, I don't see Wilder with any more than a puncher's chance.

I agree with all that.

I don't think his power is a myth per se, he can obviously punch, just by the reactions of some fighters when they get it.

But you do have to look at the opposition. Let's say a younger David Haye for example because he could bang...do you think he would go through Wilder's resume in his prime with a 90%+ KO ratio? i think he would.

How is Wilder going to do against a top fighter? - i'd say he's had two real challenges. One was Ortiz which he stopped, and credit to him for that. The only other decent challenge was the first Stiverne fight, and he didn't stop him.

So he might have a huge knockout ratio, but his KO% in meaningful fights is 50%.

It's the same with AJ. He had stopped everyone but as soon as he fought a young good level fighter in Parker that wasn't shot or there to get rolled over, he couldn't stop him. That's boxing. You can't just steamroll all fighters at a good level.

History tells us that Wilder or anyone won't just stop guys easily when he's fighting at a high level. He can but it won't always happen.
        Last edited by EasternEuroFan; 11-30-2018, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DramaShow View Post
          Fury could bully him physically
          I'd like to see him try.

Comment

Jarrell Miller is 100 lbs heavier

Comment

Originally posted by EasternEuroFan View Post
              I agree with all that.

I don't think his power is a myth per se, he can obviously punch, just by the reactions of some fighters when they get it.

But you do have to look at the opposition. Let's say a younger David Haye for example because he could bang...do you think he would go through Wilder's resume in his prime with a 90%+ KO ratio? i think he would.

How is Wilder going to do against a top fighter? - i'd say he's had two real challenges. One was Ortiz which he stopped, and credit to him for that. The only other decent challenge was the first Stiverne fight, and he didn't stop him.

So he might have a huge knockout ratio, but his KO% in meaningful fights is 50%.

It's the same with AJ. He had stopped everyone but as soon as he fought a young good level fighter in Parker that wasn't shot or there to get rolled over, he couldn't stop him. That's boxing. You can't just steamroll all fighters at a good level.

History tells us that Wilder or anyone won't just stop guys easily when he's fighting at a high level. He can but it won't always happen.
              Wilder broke his hand in the third round of the first Stiverne fight, which was itself a huge step-up fight for him.

The ghost of Fury is not a step up from Ortiz.

Comment

Originally posted by famicommander View Post
                Wilder broke his hand in the third round of the first Stiverne fight, which was itself a huge step-up fight for him.

The ghost of Fury is not a step up from Ortiz.
                Remind me who Ortiz has beaten again?

His second best win is going 12 rounds with Malik Scott. Unless you want to count a pensioner Tony Thompson as his second best win. Jennings obviously is his best win, which is pretty bad anyway for a best win.

Dave Allen might be in Ortiz's top 5 wins lol.

Ortiz has done nothing as an amateur or pro. Let's be honest. His reputation has been pure guess work, not actually proven quality.
                Last edited by EasternEuroFan; 11-30-2018, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pillowfists98 View Post
                  Fury is looking as flabby as ever. Wilder looks great.
                  His upper body looks good, but his legs are bird legs. That's why he weighs in in long pants and his boxing trunks are at his knees.

6'7" and 212 and throws windmills. I used to like Wilder but now I think A.J would get him.

Comment

Originally posted by EasternEuroFan View Post
                    Remind me who Ortiz has beaten again?

His second best win is going 12 rounds with Malik Scott. Unless you want to count a pensioner Tony Thompson as his second best win. Jennings obviously is his best win, which is pretty bad anyway for a best win.

Dave Allen might be in Ortiz's top 5 wins lol.
                    Ortiz can't get anyone to fight him.

Whyte don't want it, Joshua don't want it, Breazeale don't want it. Just Wilder.

By the way, Ortiz totally obliterated Cojanu, who took Parker the 12 round distance.

And who has Fury really beaten besides an immobile, shot Wlad? Chisora?

Comment

• Originally posted by JWHardin View Post
                      I think the speed of his punches coming in helps a lot. Speed plus strength equal power. Guys much bigger may have more strength, but not near the power.
                      Force = mass*acceleration if you want the exact nerdy formula, there's a sweet spot personal to each fighter where the have enough muscle to move you weight at it's fastest speed to get the most force in your punch Wilder seems to be at a lower weight. AJ in his fight vs Takam is an example of having too much weight for your muscles to be able to move fast enough plus more muscle use more energy so you gas quicker.

The only main benefit Wilder if he's already in his sweet spot that he could have by gaining muscle is just to support Fury's weight and push him of.

Comment

Working...
                      X