The Bill that the democrap blocked

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
    Can you please source that claim?

Here's my source citation, and what they say about the crime rate in Appalachia:

There's not much violent crime here. There's a bit of the usual enterprise one finds everywhere there are drugs and poor people, which is to say, everywhere. But even the crime here is pretty well predictable. The police chief's assistant notes that if they know the nature and location of a particular crime, they can more or less drive straight to the perpetrator.

There's a great deal of drug use, welfare fraud, and the like, but the overall crime rate throughout Appalachia is about two thirds the national average, and the rate of violent crime is half the national average. Booneville Police Chief Johnny Logsdon is justifiably skeptical of the area's reputation for drug-fueled crime. But he is not blinkered. "We have loggers and coal producers," he says. "We have educators and local businesses, and people in the arts. And we have the same problems they have in every community."

https://theweek.com/articles/452321/...g-white-ghetto

I'll be happy to discuss this with anyone, Chollo included, but we have to agree to accept the facts, no matter what they are.

And the fact is that you don't see the same high crime rates in Appalachia that you see in the ghettos.

Again, it is what it is.

If we want to solve any problem, we first must admit and accept that there is a problem.
    I was talking about the very crimes mentioned... Not necessarily violent crime. Neglect. which by any measure there is plenty of in poor rural areas. Generally in these areas we do not see as much violent crime...well, let me restate that. We see domestic violence a plenty. These stats hold true for the Eastern Shore of Maryland, in Black rural areas, and White rural areas.

I don't want to sound like I am trivializing violent crime...my point is that neglect can be characterized as violence turned inward, violence towards oneself, ones' family.

Different environments create different problems. Cities are actually socially very stable environments in many respects. Only through chronic mismanagement, chronism, and political grandstanding, does the social environment break down. Baltimore at one time had community policing, so did NYC when I was a kid. People had patrols, we used to have these Blue Jackets from the Housing authority. There was, on the whole, a better situation in those days BUT the murder rate was also a lot higher! Go figure...

Comment

• Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
      I was talking about the very crimes mentioned... Not necessarily violent crime.
      Ah, there ya go.

I had specified violent crimes.

I had agreed that both areas had high drug crime rates. I was attempting to discuss why Appalachia had low violent crime rates while ghettos had very high violent crime rates, and what solutions to try and remedy that.

Would you care to give your 2 cents as to why that is, and any solutions to change that?

Comment

• So republicans are blocking the bill now because the unemployment benefits is too much I see

Comment

• Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
          Ah, there ya go.

I had specified violent crimes.

I had agreed that both areas had high drug crime rates. I was attempting to discuss why Appalachia had low violent crime rates while ghettos had very high violent crime rates, and what solutions to try and remedy that.

Would you care to give your 2 cents as to why that is, and any solutions to change that?
          I didn't realize you had specified violent crime...not trying to be Opaque here. Ok, so the issue of violent crime, my two cents? No problem, though it is probably worth one cent by the time it is heard lol.

Lets take a known fact that we can generalize: In the 70's, and upwards into the 80's violent crime rates, in fact, all crime rates were up considerably in this country. These rates were in urban areas primarily.

So one thing to take from this is that violent crime rates have been improving. It sometimes seems counter intuitive, when we hear about Baltimore, and Detroit, and...New York, but this is a fact.

I think the reason for this improvement is hard to measure. I mean...In my day community policing was a good thing, it seemed to solve a lot of problems frankly. Yet, one could not walk in Central Park in the evening, and you just expected (not making this up) you would get mugged now and then.

So the cities are better today for whatever reason. And the gangs have gotten very sophisticated, they operate with impunity from prison, yet... low and behold, there is less violent crime.

Lets look at some possibilities why this is:

1) RICO. RICO decimated the mob. It has been used to incriminate the leadership of gangs, etc. It has been very effective, if not, a bit heavy handed. Guiliani used RICO to decimate the mob in New York with RICO.

2) Social Programs. Schools in the cities, for better, or for worse, have become surrogate babysitting services for kids. More and more schools have been about modifying behavior and not about learning and intellectual development. Today schools are latch key centers... in Baltimore food is free at all schools, etc. This change has elements that are good, and bad.

3) Gun Owners. I think people that want to carry a firearm have more resources and consequently in many areas, criminals have to worry about the possibility of encountering resistance. We see a big difference in violent crime where gun laws allow civilians to carry and where they do not.

4) More liberal drug policies. Taking revenue away from the gangs... When drug sentences are more liberal AND Pot being legalized...You take an illegal activity that involves death and destruction and you monetize it. Our drug policies are not more liberal BUT the effect of legalizing pot is HUGE and has to be considered as part of general drug policies.

These are some reasons I think are a change in violent crime. I do think that rural areas have less resources to deal with people, and that many outward aggressive behaviors are turned inward...Look at Alaska which has really bad violent crime stats. Why is that? To me it is similar to a place like Missoula Montana...People act out in domestic situations, and act out by self medicating. So these are violent acts of a sort...

In the Ghettos because of population density you see more interactions and more crime. This was the case always...The most criminally rich area ever in this country was the five points in New York City in the latter day 1800's to the 1900's. This place was a veritable Harvard for violent criminals! Turning out such luminaries as Lucky Luciano, Al Capone (yes Al was a New Yorker!), Monk Eastmen, Murder incorporated...etc. And the Jews still can lay claim to the most efficient murder syndicate ever... Murder incorporated.

So what we see today is actually an improvement. It is a function of population density and social attitudes that prevail...People want a short cut right? The race of the people will never be the issue. It is an issue where: despite obvious improvements, there will always be some members of every ghettoized group, that want to get ahead by any means necessary.

You wanted stats, I quoted long term stats, historically accurate examples.

Comment

• Originally posted by Phenom View Post
            So republicans are blocking the bill now because the unemployment benefits is too much I see
            Wheres ur link?

Comment

Working...
            X