No announcement yet.

Retractable Baton?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheGR8TESTOAT View Post
    Yeah I bought her pepper spray a few times she always loses them lol some were even on key chain but she doesn't like how they leak and thinks they are toxic.

So I figure the retractable baton is better because its light she can throw it in her hiking backpack and whip it out if shat went down.

I too wanna test it and if some coyotes try to run up on me I wanna try to knock them out lol.

I never seen a mountain lion yet on our trails but there have been warnings and sightings lately.
    Its not the weapon's effectiveness that is the issue my friend. There is a lot to using a weapon properly. Weapons that rely on impact, as well as cutting weapons, need to be used effectively which takes training.

my suggestion, as a self protection instructor for many years, is to have your lady get a purely defensive weapon like bear spray. Its much more natural for a lady to grab and spray than to try to club at something that will be moving very fast.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGR8TESTOAT View Post
      if she kept it in her back pack or pocket when hiking would it open accidentally and hurt her?

Or its not designed to accidentally open up randomly like that?
      No, you have to swing it downward hard. The momentum and gravity makes it extend and it kind of locks because of the pressures. They are cone like metal cylinders so it stays in place. It takes very little practice to extend properly.

After she learns it will take her 2 seconds

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
        Its not the weapon's effectiveness that is the issue my friend. There is a lot to using a weapon properly. Weapons that rely on impact, as well as cutting weapons, need to be used effectively which takes training.

my suggestion, as a self protection instructor for many years, is to have your lady get a purely defensive weapon like bear spray. Its much more natural for a lady to grab and spray than to try to club at something that will be moving very fast.
        I always worry about sprays because in a panic you can accidentally spray yourself or the wind betrays you

Comment

If that animal is going to attack her, she realistically is going to have one swing before that animal is on her. She needs to make it count. I'd advise some type of spray. Even if she gets caught in the cloud, as long as the animal leaves, she's better off

Comment

They are effective, but only if used correctly.

Probably weigh more and take up more space than a compact handgun as well.

Comment

Originally posted by STREET CLEANER View Post
              No, you have to swing it downward hard. The momentum and gravity makes it extend and it kind of locks because of the pressures. They are cone like metal cylinders so it stays in place. It takes very little practice to extend properly.

After she learns it will take her 2 seconds

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to STREET CLEANER again.

Thanks bro u are one of the few who actually got the point of this thread and helped answered the questions.

Comment

Originally posted by STREET CLEANER View Post
                I always worry about sprays because in a panic you can accidentally spray yourself or the wind betrays you
                Yes, every weapon has it's weaknesses. The thing with pepper spray is that in a real emergency it is easy to do, it can be set up so that it's used at close range, so it goes to Target.

Especially people who are not trained will become quite spastic when in an emergency. Sprays are pretty good that way, the only small motor movements are hitting the button. But it is no panacea... The sprays are better with a little bit of training. Stun guns have some similarities, but there's more risk when using them.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                  Yes, every weapon has it's weaknesses. The thing with pepper spray is that in a real emergency it is easy to do, it can be set up so that it's used at close range, so it goes to Target.

Especially people who are not trained will become quite spastic when in an emergency. Sprays are pretty good that way, the only small motor movements are hitting the button. But it is no panacea... The sprays are better with a little bit of training. Stun guns have some similarities, but there's more risk when using them.
                  I do agree especially if you already have the spray in hand if you perceived that you might need it.

Comment

Bear spray is where it's at.

Comment

Get her a Ruger LC9 or PPk/S...

My wife carries the Ruger and knows how to shoot pretty well. Our area is known for coyotes and mountain lions even coming into peoples’ backyard and sht so we got several weapons.

I believe spray/Bear spray are highly affective. But too long ago, i was hiking with my girls and decided to let out a stream for fun and wind kinda blew that sht towards my face so i had to block them. You gotta watch out for winds with this sht so Im not too fond of it. The distance has to be perfect.

This thread got me interested in retractable batons though and i found this. monadnock is supposed to be the best but it’s like $150 and up.

Comment

Working...
                      X