Collapse
No announcement yet.

Choosing the right stance.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

............put the work in and find out! I taught boxing for many years and owned my own gym which is still in existence today. The first thing I address is balance! If your not comfortable moving around regardless if your stepping or up on your toes moving you need to have balance. Balance lets you throw punches and accept them properly.
    Your right hand will gain power quickly if your using proper techniques.
    Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Bozbay View Post
      So, I have an issue here. Orthodox or Southpaw, I cannot decide.

1) My right hand is better for moves that require a lot of eye coordination, like writing and catching a tennis ball. My left hand is definately more powerful. I throw tennis balls with my left hand.

2) I am naturally left footed. In the orthodox stance, my stronger leg is in front. My feet feel umcomfortable like this, almost as though my left foot is pulling my right. In the southpaw stance, my feet feel much better. I feel like I can push and pull, if that makes any sense.

My problem is, in the orthodox stance my shots and upper body is more coindinated. My timing, accuracy, and defence is better, as I said, my right hand works better with my eye. Also, I do think this stance suits my style better, I like to roll my shoulders a lot. However, in the southpaw stance my shots are much more powerful, as my Stronger hand (left) is at the rear. But, the timing and accuracy is off, it's weird, my eyes almost don't feel in line with my shots, make any sense?

I understand the benefits of fighting in the orthodox stance, I have a powerful hook, better timing, more accurate shots and a more favourable style.

I understand the benefits of fighting in the southpaw stance, I have a powerful rear hand and my feet will slightly better.

Is this makes any sense to you, which stance would you choose if you were me? Just want some views. I have been fighting for 7 months, I'm constantly changing stance but I want to settle on one.

Your basic stance is orthodox if right handed or southpaw if lefthanded period

Your feet dont matter here.

You should just have settled down on one stance in the beginning, depending on above criterias.

Anyway if you feel not correct with either stance then go southpaw.

Southpaw has a huge advantage:

Very few can handle southpaw since 90% of world pop is right handed.

Comment

Working...
      X