Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long did you Train, how much paid when you fought pro?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long did you Train, how much paid when you fought pro?

I know at my age now, probably "could of done better.." but, I Never Once negotiated any matches far as purse is concerned. It was Sport to me and I would only accept what-ever they came with. Some fights I would know six weeks ahead. Others, it was uncertain. Of course, I didn't have a "pedigree" or nothin'.
    I was ARMY at beginning. 8-0 start. Won V Corp w/4-0 4 KO's (Novice/139!b) and then the Open w/1 fight a 18 sec pure "KO" [Novice won f. 47 sec.]. Right there/then...turns out I'm *at-my-height.
    Soon move to 147. I'm always 147. But, I bumped up to 156 and LIKE RESULTS. Have only a -few- 147 from then on.
    Going pro it is to benefit the other side. 1st was a go at 168. They tried to disguise it and even reports went out at 160.
    I made about $500.00 for boxing someone they are Olympic trials 165lb.top-3 finisher. 4r & a co-main. My 4 th eight months later I made about $900.00 + & we went to Canada. My Opp was 6-0 & a "silver" from Pan-Am (165 again).
    Since those days I get the idea that the **money can be multiplied quite a few times.It is/simply/!"interest in it!".

How wrong was I to be so "innocent" about it?

Originally posted by GodOfBoxing View Post
    I know at my age now, probably "could of done better.." but, I Never Once negotiated any matches far as purse is concerned. It was Sport to me and I would only accept what-ever they came with. Some fights I would know six weeks ahead. Others, it was uncertain. Of course, I didn't have a "pedigree" or nothin'.
    I was ARMY at beginning. 8-0 start. Won V Corp w/4-0 4 KO's (Novice/139!b) and then the Open w/1 fight a 18 sec pure "KO" [Novice won f. 47 sec.]. Right there/then...turns out I'm *at-my-height.
    Soon move to 147. I'm always 147. But, I bumped up to 156 and LIKE RESULTS. Have only a -few- 147 from then on.
    Going pro it is to benefit the other side. 1st was a go at 168. They tried to disguise it and even reports went out at 160.
    I made about $500.00 for boxing someone they are Olympic trials 165lb.top-3 finisher. 4r & a co-main. My 4 th eight months later I made about $900.00 + & we went to Canada. My Opp was 6-0 & a "silver" from Pan-Am (165 again).
    Since those days I get the idea that the **money can be multiplied quite a few times.It is/simply/!"interest in it!".

How wrong was I to be so "innocent" about it?
    I feel like I have to decipher every one of your posts. Is this just how you talk or is your keyboard ****ed up?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
      I feel like I have to decipher every one of your posts. Is this just how you talk or is your keyboard ****ed up?
      I feel a lil dizzy every time I read one of those posts. I can't believe its a f#cked up keyboard. I mean it seems to look planned out & not random.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
        I feel a lil dizzy every time I read one of those posts. I can't believe its a f#cked up keyboard. I mean it seems to look planned out & not random.
        I don't want to hurt his feelings but reading his posts are like listening to James Toney speak.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
          I don't want to hurt his feelings but reading his posts are like listening to James Toney speak.
          Or Mayweather Sr...or any punch drunk ex fighter who can text really....

From what I got from it tho, at least you got paid and didn't go off commission ticket sales...

Just learn to get your point across in a text

Comment

You fellows don't understand him because he's "talking boxing" you don't!
            Young John was a tough kid out of the service who touched down in Hartford Conn. near Bell Square and Mac Buckley's Addison Club with Ty Booze and Marlon Starling. I worked his corner a few times with Mac and probably up at the Gloves in Holyoke Mass.
            He's talking about the transition from amateurs to pros and how things get done "differently" in the pros!
            Hey Johnny was Vito booking you? If so you know you were in for it son.
            I handled Johnny Blaine and ol' Joe Maye for Vito for years, I loved thoughs guys and did all I could to keep them safe! Hell I even handled Sam Bam Miller
            a few times and that wasn't easy.

Nice to hear you Johnny your old stable mate Scully lurks around here occasionally.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
              You fellows don't understand him because he's "talking boxing" you don't!
              Young John was a tough kid out of the service who touched down in Hartford Conn. near Bell Square and Mac Buckley's Addison Club with Ty Booze and Marlon Starling. I worked his corner a few times with Mac and probably up at the Gloves in Holyoke Mass.
              He's talking about the transition from amateurs to pros and how things get done "differently" in the pros!
              Hey Johnny was Vito booking you? If so you know you were in for it son.
              I handled Johnny Blaine and ol' Joe Maye for Vito for years, I loved thoughs guys and did all I could to keep them safe! Hell I even handled Sam Bam Miller
              a few times and that wasn't easy.

Nice to hear you Johnny your old stable mate Scully lurks around here occasionally.

Ray
              Buuuuut..it made absolutely no sense what he said.....
              Maybe he just needs a lesson in computers and text that's all

Comment

As Anorak will tell you I was born a professional. I got $400 for my first bout. I walked with $1800 each or so for my next two bouts. All 4 rounders in '92.......
                Last edited by Rockin'; 06-04-2016, 11:09 PM.

Comment

I can barely speak English and I got what he said and didn't notice if the text was full of flaws and errors till i read your posts .

Comment

Yeah. I don't know "WHY IT IS", some dudes only are on a put down mode from the start! Best ignore people like that!
                    Ray! You were with me when I fought Ray Daniels for Ne/156 in 1985 (and lost "so close". Ray the OB)
                    No. My matches got booked by Mac 1st four and then Jimbo Isperduli up at Worcester who John Scully (you could say) introduced me to.
                    Ray you are a "great guy!" I remember all your words. You always a good friend.
                    John Scully returned to Hartford. George Cruz -very smart move- put him in charge of SAN JUAN CENTER. You know about that one "monster" fighter he is asst. training now? I heard he took one from Gennady Golovkin in the amateurs.
                    You could look for me at Fb: myname (Webb) My-bidforoffice.
                    ["scum put down Artists...."//getting used to seeing them inside BoxingScene forum 20% more than other places. Do you see that Boxer a 'D' grade....looking to compete a second time pro? Rufus. He put a GoFundMe account up to cover his estimated $300.00 eye exams and dudes are "ripping" him for it as if he is asking too much and the guys one fight is -COMPLETELY- documented. I'm just putting $10.00 to him and be HAPPY I can meet his acquaintence!]
                    HOW HAVE YOU BEEN? WHERE ARE YOU? You stay in touch with "Officer Bright"?
                    I got -1- "big problem" here with the public transportation. Been getting a censorship for 5 years now.
                    I wrote Mac two letters recently. -stop-

Comment

Working...
                    X