No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: There's Something Evil in Boxing and it Stinks

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drama Show View Post
    He won the fight deservedly. It wasn't as close as people on here are making out
    You're obviously Scottish.

Comment

Originally posted by mattr View Post
      You're obviously Scottish.
      Hell no. English and not a Taylor fan but call it as I see it

Comment

I was shocked at the scorecards, I was nervous after 6, had Postol up 4-2.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecosse1 View Post
          One problem I see with that is who controls the editing and replays? Networks are inclined to show more replays of the home or big star fighter landing their shots
          Not suggesting they get replays or even watch on video, just perhaps that they get to watch from a better vantage point similar to the view that cameras have rather than at canvas level. But I agree the AI option would be worth a look.

Comment

Judges are just one of the problems that need to be resolved in boxing. It's by far the most corrupt sport, and has been for a long time.

Comment

WHERE IS CompuBox stats for that fight????????

Ahhhh, yeaaaahhhh, I know))) All of us easy can see the punch supremacy of Postol. That's it!

COMPUBOX!!! WHERE U ARE???

Comment

Yeah, it's repetitive for fans to keep on seeing scores like this but it's also repetitive to keep reading about it in the exact same way. Swap out the names and there is probably an article in some old newspaper about a robbery that's exactly the same. Surely if you're writing about a topic you should have something new to say, an idea or approach that's fresher than 100 years old?

I don't mean to target this particular writer. There are many articles like this by different people each year. But that's kind of my point. Boxing journalists should use any access they get to put promoters, commissions, the judges themselves, under pressure and directly ask them about the bad scorecards and what they are going to do about it. Clearly say that these judges are unfit to judge a fit and should never work at any meaningful level again. Even if writers have no access at all, why not have all boxing journalists agree to put an asterisk next to the name of certain judges whenever mentioning them, marking out that they've given indefensible scorecards in the past. This site did a 'robbery of the year' but then stopped so if anything there's less of an effort to shame the crooks than there used to be.

If Taylor had a great first 4 rounds instead of a great last 4 rounds we would've seen closer scores as the paid off judges would've felt secure giving Postol rounds he deserved if he was already down on the cards. But they gave Taylor too many early rounds, in case Postol came on stronger in the second half they could still have it for Taylor. If there was only one bad card you could dismiss it. But when the only 4 people on the planet who have those scores are the 3 judges and DramaShow you know something is up.

I'm not saying you should risk being sued by headlining an article 'McGuigan clearly bribed the judges', but throwing your hands up 'damn, what can we do?' is just poor, pointless. The sad reality is that boxing for decades had worse drug testing than any major sport. Even now it needs better testing but the reality is the boxing media did nothing about it, didn't raise or push the issues enough for so many years, and then finally because Floyd and Pac were involved in testing/steroid claims and they're super famous they wrote about it because it would sell copies or generate clicks and the knock on effect is more people became aware, fighters started to get directly asked about it more often and testing did improve.

Look at how Vanes came out and said Arum bribed the judges for one of his fights and the follow-up on that was...? No officials did anything, the media didn't go hard on Arum or the judges, so of course nothing changes. If football, NBA, NHL etc. had a player say that one of the most important figures in the sport directly told them they'd bribed officials it would've had journalists all over it, digging around for more info etc. but in boxing that doesn't seem to happen, just articles like this instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Marvlus Marv View Post
                  Hate to say it, it used to be Germany but UK boxing is where you'll find the worst cooking these days .....
                  Adalaide Byrd: 'challenge accepted'

Comment

And lest we forget. Pierre Benoist 119-110 for Williams in Williams/Martinez, which was a really tight fight too.

Been going on for ages , and will keep going on. Any change to the system makes the bout results less easy to dictate - reason it will never happen. 5 judges, each round scored to whoever gets the majority of the judges - solved...means all the benoist and byrd scores get put in the trash where they belong.

Comment

Originally posted by Drama Show View Post
                      He won the fight deservedly. It wasn't as close as people on here are making out
                      You are biased as **** man. It was a really close fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X