Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how many heavyweights today are actually heavyweights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by f15bone View Post
    I think you guys might be making things more complicated than they really are...

Boxing is no different than other sports or entertainment for that matter...

Success gets copied simple as that...Whether it's the triangle offense in basketball, the "spread" in football, or fake beasts on MTV...

Trust & believe, anybody who has been successful will find the next person trying to emulate that success using similar, if not mirrored tactics & methods...

Tyson had a thousand imitators, as did Ali & Leonard ect...ect...
    Yeah but you should know these are ****ty copies, even within their respective era. Also keep in mind times arent as rough as they used to be. This is why 2 lightweights have dominated the ww division for the decade.

Its like saying the u.s army would wipe out Alexander the greats army, which it would....but in hand to hand combat only? Unlikely.

Boxing isn't sprinting. It uses many variables. Lots of blazing fast Olympic boxing champs have been killed in the pro ranks by slow sluggers.
    Last edited by them_apples; 02-24-2015, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
      Yeah but you should know these are ****ty copies, even within their respective era. Also keep in mind times arent as rough as they used to be. This is why 2 lightweights have dominated the ww division for the decade.

Its like saying the u.s army would wipe out Alexander the greats army, which it would....but in hand to hand combat only? Unlikely.

Boxing isn't sprinting. It uses many variables. Lots of blazing fast Olympic boxing champs have been killed in the pro ranks by slow sluggers.
      I agree that most of these "copycats" are "crappy" to put it mildly...

I'm merely explaining the motivation behind the "Super Heavyweight" evolution is all...

The old adage explains it best..."imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"....

If your house is on fire & ur confused about which is the safest route out & then u see someone dash out the side door...chances are you'll be right on their heels following...

We imitate what works...Heavyweight boxing is no different...

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post

I dont know how you could make that assumption especially when modern army forces are well trained in various fighting disciplines.

Comment

Originally posted by One more round View Post
          I dont know how you could make that assumption especially when modern army forces are well trained in various fighting disciplines.
          Yeah they are "trained" thats a lot different than actually fighting to the death in close combat. Its like the kids that know karate moves but when they take a shot to the head its all over. Imagine lining up on the oposite side of a battlefield getting ready to charge? That takes balls of steel, men prepared to die in a terrible way. Not taking anything away from the modern soldier but just think about it for a second - psychology was a huge part in warfare. An army like Alexanders was confident, battle hardened and experienced.

I'm certain it was the heavy religious practices that allowes soldiers to do this back then, expecting the afterlife to be far superior to the mortal life. Most people nowadays would second guess themselves before doing something as risky like charging into combat with a spear and shield with no place to run once you are locked in.
          Last edited by them_apples; 02-26-2015, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X