Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would dempsey do against todays Heavyweights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would dempsey do against todays Heavyweights?

Don't think hes got a chance with Wlad but could he do guys in like fury, haye, charr, Wilder and others. Or even old Vitali? Or is he simply too small and would be outboxed?

Wlad beats him down with no need to worry about return fire.

I think he could wreck this version of Vitali, who is shot. Make no mistake.

He'd destroy Wilder and Fury too. No chin between the two of them and he has demonstrated that he can get to a much more durable giant than either of them. Wilder could possibly put his lights out but it's a long shot.

Charr is not competing with the elite of any era. Even this era.

Haye is an interesting one, 50/50.

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post

He'd destroy Wilder and Fury too. No chin between the two of them and he has demonstrated that he can get to a much more durable giant than either of them. Wilder could possibly put his lights out but it's a long shot.

I agree for the most part but I think Vitali's size and experience would mean Dempsey only takes a decision as he outworks Vitali, rather than actually destroying him. I also think Haye has it much easier than a 50/50 fight.

I think Haye would KO him, too fast and explosive. More-so than Dempsey has ever dealt with. I just see Dempsey getting battered out of the ring and landed on by Firpo and think to myself: what happens if you stick Haye in there? He hits with much more precision and is precise enough to smash Dempsey as he comes in. Dempsey's defense is basically his smothering offense and I think his defense (as a separate entity) is over-rated, as soon as Dempsey stops momentarily in the centre ring I'm certain Haye lands very hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner
        Quote:

Originally Posted by Capaedia

I agree for the most part but I think Vitali's size and experience would mean Dempsey only takes a decision as he outworks Vitali, rather than actually destroying him. I also think Haye has it much easier than a 50/50 fight.

I think Haye would KO him, too fast and explosive. More-so than Dempsey has ever dealt with. I just see Dempsey getting battered out of the ring and landed on by Firpo and think to myself: what happens if you stick Haye in there? He hits with much more precision and is precise enough to smash Dempsey as he comes in. Dempsey's defense is basically his smothering offense and I think his defense (as a separate entity) is over-rated, as soon as Dempsey stops momentarily in the centre ring I'm certain Haye lands very hard.
        Im thinking of the hook Charr landed on Vitali, totally flush. For all his flaws, Dempsey brought down Willard for the first time with a beautiful short left hook. Vitali is obviously better than Willard, but Dempsey is also much better than Charr.

Ive got too many question marks about Haye. Dont mistake it for a high opinion of Dempsey

Not a very proven heavyweight by any stretch. Liked the Chisora KO, but it was very odd. Also Haye seemed tired already.

Hayes best days at heavy may be yet to come. Ill try not to judge too harshly.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Im thinking of the hook Charr landed on Vitali, totally flush. For all his flaws, Dempsey brought down Willard for the first time with a beautiful short left hook. Vitali is obviously better than Willard, but Dempsey is also much better than Charr.

Ive got too many question marks about Haye. Dont mistake it for a high opinion of Dempsey

Not a very proven heavyweight by any stretch. Liked the Chisora KO, but it was very odd. Also Haye seemed tired already.

Hayes best days at heavy may be yet to come. Ill try not to judge too harshly.

Well admittedly I haven't even watched the Charr fight and I don't even know how it ended, I only know that Vitali won.

I was basing what I said on the Vit vs Chisora fight mostly. Did he look a lot worse vs Charr?

Comment

Have any of you actually seen video footage of guys like Dempsey, Johnson, etc.?

The style they use wouldn't work in the modern era. They took far too many punches and telegraphed everything. They wouldn't last against even unranked fighters of today.

The heavyweights and lower weight fighters of the 80's was a different story. Those are the throwback guys who wouldn't lose to today's fighters. I've got more respect for the turn of the century guys too, but let's be real.

Comment

Originally posted by Interloper View Post
              Have any of you actually seen video footage of guys like Dempsey, Johnson, etc.?

The style they use wouldn't work in the modern era. They took far too many punches and telegraphed everything. They wouldn't last against even unranked fighters of today.

The heavyweights and lower weight fighters of the 80's was a different story. Those are the throwback guys who wouldn't lose to today's fighters. I've got more respect for the turn of the century guys too, but let's be real.
              Wilder and Fury telegraph everything too.

Fury for one, hardly has a refined and modern style does he?

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner
                Well admittedly I haven't even watched the Charr fight and I don't even know how it ended, I only know that Vitali won.

I was basing what I said on the Vit vs Chisora fight mostly. Did he look a lot worse vs Charr?
                Charr hit him more times than he should have. The reflexes and power are gone.

I dont think he would have any way to keep Dempsey from repeatedly hammering him wherever.

Vitali from the Arreola/Adamek fights stops Dempsey though I think.

Comment

I think he would get outboxed by some but Dempsey was tough as nails, showed some head movement and could go 12 rounds better than most of the heavys of today. I think he would have a good chance against old vitali over the stretch.

Comment

Charr hit him more times than he should have. The reflexes and power are gone.

I dont think he would have any way to keep Dempsey from repeatedly hammering him wherever.

Vitali from the Arreola/Adamek fights stops Dempsey though I think.

Is it true Vitali might be retiring soon? I heard Stiverne call him out after beating Arreola. He said he wanted a shot at Vitali before he retired. If that's his mandatory and wants to retire with the belt, then maybe he does retire. A younger Vitali from even a few years ago it sounds like could get a late stoppage of Stiverne.

Comment

Working...
                    X