Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way to remove promoters from the sport?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a way to remove promoters from the sport?

Or are they so vital and necessary that the sport can't exist without them?

See Cuba...

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
      IIRC, legally, they are.

PBC has attempted to deemphasize that role. But apparently, boxing 'fans' want to ensure that the Top Ranks and Golden Boys of the world can continue to get the biggest slice of revenue generated from boxing.

Comment

there's a lot that has to be setup behind the scenes..its not just 2 guys show and fight.

Comment

I mean I think you need someone to do that job, right? We just gonna have boxing events on street corners or backyards at the spur of the moment?

I think you can weaken the power promoters have if thats the goal you are looking to actually achieve doe if thats the real basis for you question. I think PBC has shown its possible, although with varying success, & in general I don't see way a promoter would need to be so contractually tied to fighters necessarily to still see upsides. Would it cut down on the promoters in the game to purely the most quality promoters who do their job the best if a promoters success wasn't more based on who you signed then the caliber of show you put on like it is now? Sure, but ultimately I think less promoters, less cards, less fighters even is better for the quality of the sport of boxing.

I mean think about it. If there were 8,500 players playing in 5 different pro football leagues do you think any one of those leagues would have the level of competition the NFL does now? F#ck no. Thats the world boxing is living in now & has for several decades since promoters have garnered more power + money to lock up guys from pro debut to retirement fight among the f#ckery of different abc groups coming into more power.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
            You answered your own question lad.

Comment

I don't think so. Promoters have been doing what they do in boxing for well over 100 years. Boxers have to train and fight. They don't have the time or knowledge or money or connections to promote their own fights. Rich retired boxers like Mayweather and Oscar may become promoters and that's as close to your dream as it gets. It's a nice dream that will never come true. In fact all pro athletes in all sports rely on promoters to make the big bucks. Football, Basketball, Soccer all need promoters. The promoters take risks and don't always make money but the athletes always get paid.

Comment

I think promoters are necessary for up and coming fighters in order to get them exposure and move them along. Once they reach a certain level they pretty much sell themselves and should be able to broker deals and put together big fights without promoters getting a big slice.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                  I think promoters are necessary for up and coming fighters in order to get them exposure and move them along. Once they reach a certain level they pretty much sell themselves and should be able to broker deals and put together big fights without promoters getting a big slice.
                  if you take away a promoters chance to profit, you also take away his incentive to fund the development of 98% of the fighters out there. Sure, Olympians and blue-chip prospects will be ok, but most fighters need the financial help of a promoter to fund their first 20 fights or so......

FYI, it takes approx $150-200k to move a fighter from a pro debut to say 20-0, and less than 1/2 of 1% of all pro fighters will ever be on HBO or Showtime. The math isnt in favor of the promoter, thats for sure.... (which is why you can count on one hand the number of big-time promoters in the world)
                  Last edited by OnePunch; 06-06-2017, 04:56 PM.

Comment

I think it needs 1 legit sanctioning body.

That would be the start.

Boxing is a sport not a league.

Comment

Working...
                    X