Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sugar ray Robinson Vs Kid gavilan was filmed.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JayID View Post
    It would be incredible if you could show some evidence? Which fight do you have?
    Originally posted by joeandthebums View Post
    Not that I find it hard to believe... but screenshot for supporting evidence.
    I'll see what I can do, off to work soon.

Believe it or not, I got one of Ray's amateur fights too.

Comment

Originally posted by McNulty View Post
      I'll see what I can do, off to work soon.

Believe it or not, I got one of Ray's amateur fights too.
      Amazing stuff. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by McNulty View Post
        I have a copy of it. I got it off a private collector about 10 years ago. Boxing scribe, retired now I think.
        Big claim.

Comment

What are you talking about? Both fights were filmed and are on YouTube. Or was only the rematch filmed? A good encounter for watching technique, but far from an exciting fight. Gavilan was good enough that Robinson had to fight respectfully.

Also on YouTube Robinson vs Pep is available as amateurs.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
            What are you talking about? Both fights were filmed and are on YouTube. Or was only the rematch filmed? A good encounter for watching technique, but far from an exciting fight. Gavilan was good enough that Robinson had to fight respectfully.

Are you joking? I've only seen the exhibition that Robinson and pep fought in. Mostly clowning around. Can you provide links as I'm sure that no-one on this thread knows about this

Comment

Right now I have an event to attend. Later this evening should be no problem providing some links.

Comment

Right now I have an event to attend. Later this evening should be no problem providing some links.
                That's great. Thanks!

Comment

ESPN has some early footage of Sugar Ray. I remember seeing a golden glove match of his, so he must have been 19 or something.

Comment

Pretty sure you must be thinking of another fight. As far as i know SRR vs Gavilan is not in the public domain, if it still exists at all.

Certainly not on YT unless it is uploaded on a private account.

There is some footage of SRR as an amateur in the GG, as a WW (or only recently moved to MW) vs Fusari and Dykes and a couple other seriously shaky camera footage where you cant see anything that's happening (vs Riccio and Flores in 1946).

Edit: looking on yt there are a few other poor quality films of him as a welter. Nothing from his biggest nights like Gavilan though
                    Last edited by Tom Cruise; 08-13-2017, 03:44 PM.

Comment

I thought the only existing footage of Ray at welter was from one of his final fights in the division against Charley Fusari?

Comment

Working...
                      X