Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$10 Million was fine for Abel with Norris vs Chavez, but no Alvarez?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $10 Million was fine for Abel with Norris vs Chavez, but no Alvarez?

Keep in mind in 1991, 10 million was about 17 million in CPI inflation adjusted.

The story is that Chavez ducked Norris in 1991. I'm sure the WBC, King, and the others liked this idea for a similar Pac vs Margarito bout. Of course Norris being a WAY more superior fighter than Margarito... So Abel says he and Norris agreed to 149-150 for $10 million catch but that Chavez's people thought Norris was too big.

Ok so fast forward today, how much bigger was Chavez compared to Alvarez from a Mexican fanbase? If Abel agreed to $10 million back then without any hype of a trilogy or PPV, then why hasn't K2 and Abel made the concessions with GBP?

If I were GGG I'd take the $10mil, but at the same time, GBP isn't negotiating in good faith by offering a flat fee.

What I think is fair would be to cut GGG in on 50% of every ppv buy over 1mil. This fight is projected to do around 1.5mil buys.

Comment

I sure would like to know just how many PPVs they think this fight would generate and what Canelo's cut would be. Because $10m sounds like a whole ****ing lot, period.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevel916 View Post
        If I were GGG I'd take the $10mil, but at the same time, GBP isn't negotiating in good faith by offering a flat fee.

What I think is fair would be to cut GGG in on 50% of every ppv buy over 1mil. This fight is projected to do around 1.5mil buys.
        But again 4.7 million net on Alvarez's name vs 97k. General meritocracy wont allow this at the negotiating table. In theory its PPV ratio for percentage splits.

Comment

Originally posted by SugarKaineHook View Post
          But again 4.7 million net on Alvarez's name vs 97k. General meritocracy wont allow this at the negotiating table. In theory its PPV ratio for percentage splits.
          You can't compare Canelo's ppv revenue to that of GGG's. Canelo had to fight other big named stars to achieve that while GGG fought an unknown Canadian.

A more fair comparison of drawing power would be to compare GGG/Lemiux to Canelo/Liam Smith.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevel916 View Post
            You can't compare Canelo's ppv revenue to that of GGG's. Canelo had to fight other big named stars to achieve that while GGG fought an unknown Canadian.

A more fair comparison of drawing power would be to compare GGG/Lemiux to Canelo/Liam Smith.
            Ok, put it this way then, solely on the names you mentioned, for the sake of boxing fans!

theoritical sales:

GGG/Lemieux - Canadian, Kazakhstan, & American stadium
            Alvarez/Smith - UK, Mexico & American stadium

what's the drawing power of GGG/Lemieux in Canada,
            what's the drawing power of Alvarez/Smith in the UK

Comment

Ok, put it this way then, solely on the names you mentioned, for the sake of boxing fans!

theoritical sales:

GGG/Lemieux - Canadian, Kazakhstan, & American stadium
              Alvarez/Smith - UK, Mexico & American stadium

what's the drawing power of GGG/Lemieux in Canada,
              what's the drawing power of Alvarez/Smith in the UK
              I'd say it'll be pretty close. Both UK and Canadian's are rabid fight fans with the edge going to the UK fans.

Comment

We also have to bare in mind that Mayweather vs Canelo only did 2.2 Million because it was Canelo.

Or that's what they said.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                  We also have to bare in mind that Mayweather vs Canelo only did 2.2 Million because it was Canelo.

Or that's what they said.
                  Floyd is a pimp and grand master because he fought against Oscar's, Alvarez's, and Pac's boos in the ring. So, what were the ratio of ticket sales of Floyd fans vs the rest?

We can theorize if there's any consistency with PPV buys... and keep in mind, ''they pay to see me lose'' is an art in itself.

Comment

Floyd is a pimp and grand master because he fought against Oscar's, Alvarez's, and Pac's boos in the ring. So, what were the ratio of ticket sales of Floyd fans vs the rest?

We can theorize if there's any consistency with PPV buys... and keep in mind, ''they pay to see me lose'' is an art in itself.
                    Who knows but according to the PPV experts Floyd doesn't sell the PPV's it's the opponent.

3 biggest selling fights ever - Floyd-Pac, Floyd-Canelo, Floyd-Oscar.

Wasn't because Floyd was fighting, it was the opponent.

So Canelo's deserves a lot of power at the negotiating table with GGG.

Comment

Working...
                    X