Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changes boxing NEED

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. Eliminate the Networks from having the overall control they have over Promoters and vice versa. All fighters should have the ability to fight on any Network ala College Football, Basketball, NFL, NBA.

2. Have a Universally recognized ranking system (not Ring, ESPN, WBC, etc) that creates a legit pecking order for World Title fights.

Comment

Originally posted by RL_GMA View Post
      2. Have a Universally recognized ranking system (not Ring, ESPN, WBC, etc) that creates a legit pecking order for World Title fights.
      How the eff do you do this is the thing?

Obviously its the thing to do, but idk how you actually go from the chaos there is now & with everyone down with these 4 belt groups to saying "nah forget those guys...pay attention to our rankings over here".

And thats happened already & all its really done is created another belt people track & view as a major belt. I personally think we are within a couple years of the IBO belt being considered legit major belt, bringing the count up to 5 major belts. much like the WBO title eventually sneaked up on us as the 4th legit belt.

Comment

Originally posted by Banko Villas View Post
        These changes are very essential, if boxing ever wants to evolve as a sport.

1: PEDs need to be allowed.
        Ok. You will lose me and many others who have no interest in watching chemists compete, but the 'sport' may still be viable once we go. However, the lawsuits will finish it within 15-20 years however.

2: The maximum amount of belts should be 3 and no other belts should carry ANY official relevance
        The belts are just straps of leather. The only significance is that the watching public invests in them and as long as tickets are sold there will continue to be spurious bodies awarding spurious belts. Vote with your feet/wallet.

3: We need less weight classes and we need a more logical way of dividing them.
        Again, the lawsuits will come thick and fast once bigger disparities result mismatches then fatalities / serious injury.

4: Referees should NOT be allowed to stop the fight.
        A recipe for the end of boxing in the Western world. Lawyers would love your changes.

5: We need 5 judges instead of 3 and we need more anti-corruption measures to ensure that we do not get corrupt decisions.
        I don't know how more judges will deliver better results other than making it harder for the promoters to buy sufficient off? Anything that improves the murky world of judging gets my vote however.

I don't want to be overly negative. I get you want to improve things, but I don't think your changes are anything other than a recipe for the death of boxing. Think about the legal aspects if nothing else. We live in a litigious world after all!

Comment

Originally posted by Holler View Post
          Ok. You will lose me and many others who have no interest in watching chemists compete, but the 'sport' may still be viable once we go. However, the lawsuits will finish it within 15-20 years however.
          The problem with PEDs that makes it a losing battle is that too many PED users are above the level that the testers are at & will almost assuredly be gaining ground every day to make a good % of them uncatchable. I also speculate PEDs will become undetectable at some future date without putting a microchip in an athletes body to monitor for chemical changes & eventually that will become useless at detecting PEDs as well.

So either we will have to keep piss & blood of fighters for years & decades potentially to retroactively punish them, take away their accomplishments & destroy their legacies or we will just need to accept that PED usage will win the battle & PEDs will be used undetected sooner or later.

Comment

There's always going to be a lag when it comes to PED -> Testing. It takes time for the testing to develop for that new PED.

I would like more tournaments. There should be 2 or 3 tournaments each year in different weight classes that promote competition and crown a definitive champion.

I'd like there to be an OT round in the event of a draw scored. Don't cut off the gloves until the scorecards are read. Just one more, 2 minute round would be sufficient for me. Also, I would like there to be an odd number of rounds for fights. It would lessen the likelihood of a draw being scored.

I remember someone here a long time ago mentioned a farm league system. I really liked it. There would just need to be some type of hard, objective criteria for moving fighters to the next level. That would help eliminate the mismatches we see. Obviously, this system could be manipulated, but it should HELP make the sport more competitive in nature. Might make the sport more complicated, but IDK. I'd like to see it implemented or tested out somewhere.

Comment

well. we may disagree on some things, but it seems like we all agree that changes are necessary...

Comment

well. we may disagree on some things, but it seems like we all agree that changes are necessary...
                Yes. All sports change over time. Evolve if you will. Boxing seems to evolve very little.

Comment

Working...
                X