No announcement yet.

Don Turner on Marciano

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don Turner on Marciano

Don Turner is one of my favorite trainers. He is old school and an example of the value of a guy who is intelligent and HAS BEEN around to work with fighters like Marciano! So...here we have a guy who has worked with the Klits, with Holyfield and with Marciano, Charles...He is not that old, not senile and has a very definite opinion about Marciano from having felt the punches of all men involved so what does he say? This is priceless information because this guy imo is the equivalent of stephen hawkins in boxing circles: he trained Holy to break Tyson's balance point in the front by coming in on him...Pure genius!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27DmRjUbqWA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEQPS4oVtbo
    Last edited by billeau2; 05-09-2018, 10:24 AM.

Does that sound familiar? .............hahaha Mayweather my azz!

Ray

Comment

I have a hard time believing Rocky hit harder than Shavers or Foreman.

Comment

Turner worked with Marciano? Find that hard to believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
          Does that sound familiar? .............hahaha Mayweather my azz!

Ray
          To Turner Mayweather would not be a contender in a decent era and the kid asks why...Turner looks at him like the kid just said "I don't know what the appeal of 22 year old Racquel Welch is, what do people see in her?"... and says matter of factly "Cause he can't punch." Lol!

Comment

Originally posted by OCPancho View Post
            I have a hard time believing Rocky hit harder than Shavers or Foreman.
            there are many things that are hard to believe but seem to come from experience.

For example: Guess what martial art has the most serious injuries? Aikido followed by the gentle way...Judo.

An elephant is a little bigger than a Hippo and a Rhino, but given the muscles on these beasts it would appear to be a somewhat equal range of strength. In fact? there is tape of an elephant getting angry with a Hippo...Its not even close, the elephant tossed the angry aggressive hipo around like a rag doll. It literally had the thing flying.

We need people like turner to talk about their experiences because they contradict what sometimes seems to be logical. Logically Marciano should not hit as hard as a much bigger man, but is that so? there are other things about punching that apply apparently.

Comment

Interesting point here: I asked my recently deceased dad if the modern musicians were better than the old timers and he told me that yes they were. he told me they could play more notes, and had technical skills that were far in excess because of progress.

One thing you constantly hear from guys who saw fighters from several generations, guys like Turner, is the opposite. They all say that the guys today do not have the technical skills, the ability to do what guys did in the ring classically. Who do we have now who is such a puncher that they will hit a man on the arms, the shoulders, anywhere? Golovkin? lol

Comment

LOL... another old-timer who believes everything was better, when he was young.

Working with Marciano? Don was 16 when Rocky had his last fight, so how is that possible?

Mayweather wouldn't even be a contender, but only a 6-round fighter, "back in the day". Yeah right!

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                  there are many things that are hard to believe but seem to come from experience.

For example: Guess what martial art has the most serious injuries? Aikido followed by the gentle way...Judo.

An elephant is a little bigger than a Hippo and a Rhino, but given the muscles on these beasts it would appear to be a somewhat equal range of strength. In fact? there is tape of an elephant getting angry with a Hippo...Its not even close, the elephant tossed the angry aggressive hipo around like a rag doll. It literally had the thing flying.

We need people like turner to talk about their experiences because they contradict what sometimes seems to be logical. Logically Marciano should not hit as hard as a much bigger man, but is that so? there are other things about punching that apply apparently.
                  Aikido has so much injury b/c the pupils are stupid in falling for that **** . Be a rag doll for the sensei.
                  People get so nostalgic and just flat-out stretch the truth OFTEN.

Sorry, not gonna believe the Rock hit harder than Shavers and Foreman. Neither did Bert Sugar.

Comment

Originally posted by Bundana View Post
                    LOL... another old-timer who believes everything was better, when he was young.

Working with Marciano? Don was 16 when Rocky had his last fight, so how is that possible?

Mayweather wouldn't even be a contender, but only a 6-round fighter, "back in the day". Yeah right!
                    I don't know how Floyd could handle 6 oz Ben Lee gloves.

Comment

Working...
                    X