Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better defense: Canelo Alvarez or Tyson Fury?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well as a fighter, Canelo Alvarez is the more complete and well rounded of the two. He has a very good defense and a very good offense as well.

However, when it comes solely down to defense, then I will have to go with Tyson Fury; Because he is the more one dimensional of the two in that department.

In recent years we have witnessed a decline in his offensive ability and in increase his defensive ability in order to protect his chin. As he doesn't like to get hit because he can't take a punch all that well.

Now he is become more of a pure boxer who throws mostly pitty pat, slappy, arm punches. He very rarely settle down on his punches for power anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Robi13 View Post
      Then I’d call that a strategy not “playing around” no one plays when you throw hands bro...
      I guess you have a difficult time with reading comprehension. I was agreeing with you.

Comment

Originally posted by champion4ever View Post
        In recent years we have witnessed a decline in his offensive ability ...
        I'm not going to jump on that because I assume you mean that he's become less aggressive, not that his actual ability declined, right?

I think Canelo's technique is improving all around and it's a shame that it's even taking people this long to realize that he's a solid boxer. But, his cardio is still his weakest point, IMO. It's not terrible but it ain't great. In the 2nd Golovkin match he looked fatigued for most of the fight.
        He looked better against Jacobs but he wasn't really getting pressured at all there either.

Comment

Fury has never seen the class and ability of a Canelo or any other lighter weight real champion .

The HW division ability wise is B grade, something happens to lower ability when they get so big that size is the number one asset, as far as boxing goes HW is the least technical division in boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadblock View Post
            Fury has never seen the class and ability of a Canelo or any other lighter weight real champion .

The HW division ability wise is B grade, something happens to lower ability when they get so big that size is the number one asset, as far as boxing goes HW is the least technical division in boxing.
            You are pretty much 100% correct.

I can remember when people where questioning James Toney on his move to heavyweight and he stated 'I have faced better fighters at middleweight to light heavyweight, he even stated that he was not bothered by the power' He alluded to having had faced better fighters technically and pound for pound physically at the lower weights, fighters that punched correctly and operated in a entirely different dimension when it comes to the sweet science.

If Deontay Wilder was a Super Middle Weight, can you imagine that? How physics works, YES he would still be a hard puncher! But by no means would he be able to survive during the 90's at 160-168 pound 'In my opinion'.

If Roy Jones Junior was 6 foot 6 and 240 pounds, they would have to ban him from boxing.

That is why most of these super-heavyweights are useless, none of them are pound for pound great fighters in my opinion 'But I will still be backing Joshua to finish as the last man standing at the end of this era'

Canelo's defense has been tested and proven more than Tyson Fury's, and also lets factor in that he is a fighter moving up facing bigger guys now. Tyson Fury constantly alludes to his size advantage over his opponents and mocks smaller fighters, Evander Holyfield would break all of his ribs 'And I honestly don't think he would make it into the changing rooms pre fight vs Mike Tyson'.
            Last edited by PRINCEKOOL; 06-18-2019, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
              I'm not going to jump on that because I assume you mean that he's become less aggressive, not that his actual ability declined, right?
              Yes, you are absolutely correct. In times past, we've witnessed Fury collapse the pocket, while throwing a lot of punches, by fighting on the inside and giving up his physical advantages in the process.

However, nowadays he is doing the complete opposite. He is standing more erect, on the outside, circling the ring, sticking and moving while throwing more flurries and combination punches in the process.

Comment

Working...
              X