Step-drag vs. walking

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Step-drag vs. walking

Hi guys,

so, first of all, I'm sorry for asking dumb newbie questions here almost every day.

Anyway, today at the gym, the trainer told me that I shouldn't step-drag when I throw hooks and uppercuts, walking instead. I still can't figure out how to do it. Is it just normal walking? Is there anything special I should keep in mind? It took me some time to learn to step-drag properly, now I need to unlearn it for these punches as it seems. Heh.

I've tried to find some online sources that would explain this for a dummie like myself but wasn't successful.

Did he not show you?

Comment

He did but I guess there's just too much I quite don't get about it and there's usually about 20 of us at the gym so he didn't tell me if I was doing it right afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Jovanny View Post
        He did but I guess there's just too much I quite don't get about it and there's usually about 20 of us at the gym so he didn't tell me if I was doing it right afterwards.
        Maybe he wants you to take a step forward with your back foot?

So if you are an orthodox fighter and want to throw the left hook instead of stepping in with your lead left foot you step in with your right foot.

As if you are walking. Now you throw the left hook and you have the right foot in front and left foot behind.

Helps cutting the distance in the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by BuakawBanchamek View Post

So if you are an orthodox fighter and want to throw the left hook instead of stepping in with your lead left foot you step in with your right foot.

As if you are walking. Now you throw the left hook and you have the right foot in front and left foot behind.

Yeah, that seems to be exactly it. Thanks for explaining!

Comment

Originally posted by BuakawBanchamek View Post

Well done for keeping it simple

This will help you stay at distance "awayf rom danger" and then when you step in to throw your hook will be nice and close a opposed to throwing from range (which are easier to see coming)

Comment

Yeah, that seems to be exactly it. Thanks for explaining!
              BuakawBanchamek explained it very nice and what you guys are explaining is called a switch step. GGG and Manny Pacquiao use that very well. And as someone explained its great for closing distance. BUT it can also get you KTFO too especially if its not done properly. The switch step to me is more of a seasoned amateur if not even a seasoned PRO move. I am surprised your trainer is teaching you this already honestly.

Thats the problem with big boxing classes though because you usually have a large range of experience within the class. It seems to me you should be working more on your basic footwork like jabbing off the front foot and leading with a cross (1-2's). A switch step will just throw you off right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
                BuakawBanchamek explained it very nice and what you guys are explaining is called a switch step. GGG and Manny Pacquiao use that very well. And as someone explained its great for closing distance. BUT it can also get you KTFO too especially if its not done properly. The switch step to me is more of a seasoned amateur if not even a seasoned PRO move. I am surprised your trainer is teaching you this already honestly.

Thats the problem with big boxing classes though because you usually have a large range of experience within the class. It seems to me you should be working more on your basic footwork like jabbing off the front foot and leading with a cross (1-2's). A switch step will just throw you off right now.
                Thanks for more info! Well, yeah, one of the problem of our classes is that we complete beginners are there together with seasoned amateurs -- our club competes in the 2nd tier amateur league in my country. It has a lot of disadvantages, including this... but I see some advantages, too. Like, you can really learn something from the more experienced boxers there, not only the trainer. But the switch step thing is interesting because our trainer seems to think it's a very basic technique we should know.

Comment

Thanks for more info! Well, yeah, one of the problem of our classes is that we complete beginners are there together with seasoned amateurs -- our club competes in the 2nd tier amateur league in my country. It has a lot of disadvantages, including this... but I see some advantages, too. Like, you can really learn something from the more experienced boxers there, not only the trainer. But the switch step thing is interesting because our trainer seems to think it's a very basic technique we should know.
                  1st and foremost let me apologize. The step you are referring to is called Shifting now switching. Anyways, I was actually talking to one of the trainers (pro boxer) at my gym last night about your question. I went to him because he trains older kids and adults. My oldest kid is 14 and youngest I train is 9. Also the 14yo that I train is transitioning from wrestling to boxing so hes in the infancy stage still.

Anyways, he called it a basic move too. I guess I am really more of a Master the very basics kinda coach which to me is in and out, and side to side movement. It takes long enough for beginners to even know how to step and punch the right way much less teaching them a shift. Shifting when done right looks really cool and has great impact but stepping forward off that back leg even for a split second can get you dropped or put to sleep. When you shift you are basically giving your opponent an open power shot (assuming your stances are the same) while you are coming forward. Again, I wouldnt want to put a beginner in that situation. But if you insist or your coach insist, I wouldnt really try it sparring until you are 100% confident in your balance and abilty to throw off that back foot because theres no point of shifting just to shift, offense needs to be attached.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the follow-up! Thankfully, our trainer also believes it takes time until you're ready to spar and while I tend to be impatient here and there, I think it's a good thing -- the only sparring I've done so far is the "semi-sparring" when you're told what moves to do and then you do them. So, I'm not going to spar, let alone fight, until I'm ready which, according to our trainer, doesn't mean only basic step-drag and straight punches but also throwing hooks and uppercuts while shifting (plus a lot of other stuff). I've been boxing for a month now so I guess it's OK to wait for it, work on the heavy bag etc. With this trainer, I think I can be sure that when he tells me I'm ready to go, I will be really ready. Anyway, I'm glad I can see the context here!

Comment

Working...
                    X