Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Mikey shot himself in the foot by leaving Top Rank?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shades of Andre Ward. He wasted some of his prime with lawsuits. To his credit he landed a career high payday for $3.5M to fight Lipinets. But, he may have trouble getting big fights with TR and GBP fighters if he isn't willing to negotiate or compromise. I doubt Gervonta will want any part of him at 135, so his options are limited between 135-140.

Comment

Originally posted by Thraxox View Post
      How so? He is not getting seven figure paydays like Lomachenko and he is not getting Crawford anytime soon, he is not in any big fights like he claims to be after top rank, but rather having fights like Lipinets.
      Mikey been making 7 figure paydays for a while now.

Originally posted by artfuL_ View Post
      Totally.

At the least, he should have fought bums to finish of his contract and move his career more quickly.

He was definitely poorly managed.
      what dont you guys understand, their was NO "finishing" off the contract with arum. The entire premise of mikey taking Top Rank to court was they wouldnt give him another fight unless he signed an extension. The judge agreed, Mikey won his case and Top Rank was forced to release Mikey Garcia to be a free agent.
      Last edited by .!WAR MIKEY!.; 01-17-2018, 04:42 PM.

Comment

No, but he's passed up some really good opportunities since leaving.

Comment

gamboa was just too much for him. he had to leave in order to get the freedom to cherry pick. you would think more freedom would equal better opponents but alas humans dont think like that. overpaying someone does not make them want to fight the best

Comment

Originally posted by Thraxox View Post
            And wasted how many years in his prime battling Arum in the courts instead of getting active and getting paydays in fights and raising his profile.

Where do you think Mikey is now had he not left top rank? With Lomachenko staying in top rank he is getting 7 figure paydays while Mikey is below him.
            Didn't Floyd leave bob & almost instantly get paid big bucks? Didn't Mickey fight Broner for a guaranteed 1million?? I don't think loma got a guaranteed 1million did he??? If you leave cuz you are not getting paid is that a bad thing????

Mickey obviously knows what he is doing.

Comment

Originally posted by j.razor View Post
              Didn't Floyd leave bob & almost instantly get paid big bucks? Didn't Mickey fight Broner for a guaranteed 1million?? I don't think loma got a guaranteed 1million did he??? If you leave cuz you are not getting paid is that a bad thing????

Mickey obviously knows what he is doing.
              Loma got a guaranteed $1m for Walters and I believe $1.2m for Rigo so you thought wrong.

Comment

Hard to say if Mikey did or didn't shoot himself in the foot. He doesn't really have a lot of buzz about him and doesn't sell tickets. Not sure what his TV ratings are but I'd venture to say they aren't great. Not sure what his purses are but had he stayed with Top Rank he'd have got the Gamboa fight and over $1m and had he won maybe that helps him take off the way it did for Crawford. He'd probably have been fighting two or three times a year which in my opinion is better than 0.

Losing 3 years in your prime is never a great thing no matter how much it has been glorified around here and by the time he fights Lipinets (or whoever) it may have been 9-10 months or more between fights and assuming he won't work with Arum again he's low on options. He's not going to fight Thurman or Spence so what else is there? Linares who can't really draw? He may be getting one good paycheck a year right now but the more half empty venues and low tv ratings the less and less money promoters will throw at him which means he could be squandering what's left of his prime.

He's a very good fighter and I enjoy his style a lot but like I said he just doesn't capture the public's attention and casual fans don't know him. Maybe with a proven promoter and a consistent schedule and some good matchmaking he'd at least be a regional draw with solid numbers better positioned for bigger, more legacy defining fights. My gut feeling is that he'll be one of those guys that didn't accomplish what he could/should have and will be largely forgotten.

Comment

No...He is lined up for yet another divisional title and is a p4p fighter with unlimited options

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                    Shades of Andre Ward. He wasted some of his prime with lawsuits. To his credit he landed a career high payday for $3.5M to fight Lipinets. But, he may have trouble getting big fights with TR and GBP fighters if he isn't willing to negotiate or compromise. I doubt Gervonta will want any part of him at 135, so his options are limited between 135-140.
                    Don't know where you get that figure from. It certainly not related to the Lipinets purses. It's most likely a bribe from Haymon to keep him from signing up with GBP. And it's similar to Spence receiving the same amount some months ago when Oscar was wooing him to join GBP.

Comment

Originally posted by BreWall View Post
                      Don't know where you get that figure from. It certainly not related to the Lipinets purses. It's most likely a bribe from Haymon to keep him from signing up with GBP. And it's similar to Spence receiving the same amount some months ago when Oscar was wooing him to join GBP.
                      I read it here on boxingscene.

http://www.boxingscene.com/mikey-gar...pinets--123604

Comment

Working...
                      X