Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DAZN might actually be hurting Canelo's marketability.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
    Why would that matter when it comes to promoting him to get subs?
    I think the app will succeed. They are slowplaying this December fight, but I expect big promotions for May.

Big, big things

Comment

I guess he will just have to wipe away those tears with $1000 bills if his marketability takes a hit.

Comment

This fight is a tune up for him, so i would excuse them. But i seriously didn't know he was fighting this weekend until a few days ago.

Comment

I think I saw the fight being promoted during the Raiders game this Sunday. I don't really care about this fight, the cool thing about it though is that I can watch it on my phone anywhere I'm at, I'll be at a wedding this Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by Vegemil View Post
            I know he's set now that he got the huge offer but it's just surreal to have some of my Mexican friends usually invite me to family parties for Canelo's fights, but this time they didn't even know he was fighting when I brought it up.

Idk what they're doing differently but they better change it up.
            Canelo's biggest disadvantage is he can't speak English. if he could he would do all the talk shows like Oscar, Floyd, and Pac did Tonight Show, Jimmy Jimmel, etc. All those guys went on like the Tues or Wed before the fight and everyone was buzzing.

I point this out to all his fans and they say im being racist WTF? These are facts fam!

Comment

Originally posted by mrlopez View Post
              Barely saw promotion for his fight this weekend. So i was surprised when told all the paisas about his fight this weekend and they all knew about it and have dazn because of it.
              I’ve seen zero promotion outside of the fact that I have Oscar and other golden boy fighters on social media. If your friends are like me, that’s why they knew about it. But a casual would have no clue.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGR8TESTOAT View Post
                Canelo's biggest disadvantage is he can't speak English. if he could he would do all the talk shows like Oscar, Floyd, and Pac did Tonight Show, Jimmy Jimmel, etc. All those guys went on like the Tues or Wed before the fight and everyone was buzzing.

I point this out to all his fans and they say im being racist WTF? These are facts fam!
                That’s not racist. What made Cotto so appealing to promoters when he was coming to was “handsome, Spanish and Bi lingual” even my wife was shocked during the 24/7 with him and GGG that Canelo knew no English. Hurts his promotion among non Spanish speakers.

Comment

I don't disagree with the overall challenge DAZN has with getting boxing fans to find their product & Canelo specifically in this case. Thing is I think this matchup woulda gotten minimal attention if it had been on regular HBO PPV. Its a bs fight. But yea when May comes around if fans haven't found Canelo DAZN is effing up & needs to up their game or this won't have been money well spent.

Comment

he already did the marketing, and "won" a 300 Million contract, whatever he does now is just more money.

Comment

Originally posted by Vegemil View Post
                      I'm telling you a lot of Mexican families watch Canelo exclusively their parents are always asking me who the opponent is and if they have a chance or not. They don't care who the opponent is.
                      His PPV numbers tell a different story: 270K vs Smith, 1million vs Chavez Jr, 1.3milion vs GGG.

I'm in the UK so I don't know how well Canelo/Fielding has been publicised in the US, but in the UK and on line, Eddie Hearn seems to be plugging it harder than GBP!

As DAZN's main promoter, it's in Eddie's interest for the fight to attract as many subscribers as possible. Maybe Oscar and Gomez know that so they're getting lazy and leaving the work to him?
                      Last edited by kafkod; 12-13-2018, 06:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X