No announcement yet.

Why are American boxers so inactive?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by asgarth View Post
    I talked about up and coming fightera in that quote, you left that out.

And most of the uk guy you mentioned had three fights a year when they were beating on gatekeeper and fringe level guys.
    At championship level most fighters are onoy fighting two timea a year, but i didnt say otherwise.
    I'd argue everyone is fighting more often when they aren't at the world class level. Its easier & cheaper to get dates. They are usually less hard fights so less recovery time. Probably other factors as well.

World class guys just don't fight 3 times a year. Or certainly its not a regular occurrence I should say cuz as mentioned Whyte will have his 3rd fight this year as long as that Dec. card happens, didn't see details of it yet, but I assume it will happen.

And Rocky Fielding luckboxed his way to a 3rd fight this year cuz I think we can all agree if this weird Canelo callup didn't happen its a good bet he was done for the year, but largely you can see in my post that even Hearn, the King of I'll give you 3 fights a year, is bsing about that level of activity or else you gotta believe no one wants to fight 3 times a year cept for Whyte & Fielding.

It'd be cool if it was a thing, but I'm not seeing that its a thing. And I got no interest in dick measuring this promoter vs that promoter like some guys keep trying to make this about. The only reason I used Eddie as an example is cuz he's the guy pushing the 3 fight per year angle while not getting most of his own guys 3 fights a year. And honestly if Fielding was depending on Hearn alone he wouldn't even have gotten a 3rd fight this year so really Whyte is the only example of Hearn getting one world class guy 3 fights in a year.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveM View Post
      Throw your support behind wbss because the 2 finalists are fighting 3 times a year - the more success those tournaments have the more money they can offer and the more boxers will enter - a virtuous upward cycle for fans and boxers.
      Yep I am 100% for the WBSS and have enjoyed every minute of it.

Usyk is everything that's right with boxing. Two 12 round wars against the best of his division to win all the marbles, and now four months later he's fighting Tony Bellew. Fantastic

Comment

I was with you until you said Tony Bellew - lol. Bellew flatters to deceive. And the odds will reflect that. Heavily.

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
          3 times a year isn't active, looking at the history of the sport.

Champions used to fight 17 times a year or more back in the day.
          They could barely fight twice a year let alone 17x.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveM View Post
            Throw your support behind wbss because the 2 finalists are fighting 3 times a year - the more success those tournaments have the more money they can offer and the more boxers will enter - a virtuous upward cycle for fans and boxers.
            Might as well stop mentioning these inactive fighters' name.
            Make them irrelevant.

Comment

can't win.

If an American fights 2 times a year, folks ask why he only fighting 2 times.

If an American fights 3-4 times, folks will say "he's fighting bums" (look at what they say about GGG when GGG fought 3-4 times a year)

Comment

It doesn't matter what "WE WANT" it is totally up to the fighters and how they feel. They can fight 4 times a year if they want, just don't expect 4 BIG PAYDAYS in a year. But yeah they can do 1 or 2 lower budget events for Stay Active Fights vs weak opponents but fans would still complain about their quality of opponents

Comment

I don't hear these fighters complain, so they must be fine with it.

Comment

Working...
                  X