Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to Nicholas "Axe Man" Walters?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to Nicholas "Axe Man" Walters?

Last we heard of him he was being sat on the shelf and kept inactive for almost a year by Bob Arum, then fed to Lomachenko.

He hasn't fought since. What ever became of him?

Lol @ these excuses. The lay off was his own fault and then Loma retired him

Comment

Originally posted by DuckAdonis View Post
      Activity natterers, especially for a fighter like Walters who had a history of problems making weight. Loma probably would've beaten an active Walters but it woulda been more competitive

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
        Activity natterers, especially for a fighter like Walters who had a history of problems making weight. Loma probably would've beaten an active Walters but it woulda been more competitive
        Lay offs don't make you look like a complete amateur. That's what another fighter does to you. And Walters had an 11-month lay off. Could it have made him a lil rusty? Yeah maybe, but he also had an 11 month lay off between the Daulius Prescott and Garza fight when he was already at world level. Fought Darchinyan right after that. I'm not buying the excuse.

Comment

I wasn't trying to make excuses. Just stating the facts.

How was the layoff his own fault? I'm genuinely curious, what's the story behind that?

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
            I wasn't trying to make excuses. Just stating the facts.

How was the layoff his own fault? I'm genuinely curious, what's the story behind that?
            He had been on similar lay offs before in his career like between the Prescott and Garza fight. That was 11 months as well right before he KO'd Darchinyan. Gary Russel only fights once a year, he doesn't look bad. It's not like he was on some Vanes level of inactivity. 11 months out happens to lots of fighters.

And it's funny how you say Bob fed him to Lomachenko when it was viewed as a very risky and dangerous fight at the time before Loma schooled him. Lots of people picked Walters to 'axe' Lomachenko. I wouldn't be surprised if you did. Walters was also the one **** talking to get the Loma fight. He got what he wanted and he was embarrassed...that's why he probably didn't fight again. I would guess Loma took his passion for fighting.

Comment

Matrix happened

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                Last we heard of him he was being sat on the shelf and kept inactive for almost a year by Bob Arum, then fed to Lomachenko.

He hasn't fought since. What ever became of him?
                ... he quit boxing -- because Arum kept him on the shelf and then fed him to Loma...

Comment

Lay offs don't make you look like a complete amateur. That's what another fighter does to you. And Walters had an 11-month lay off. Could it have made him a lil rusty? Yeah maybe, but he also had an 11 month lay off between the Daulius Prescott and Garza fight when he was already at world level. Fought Darchinyan right after that. I'm not buying the excuse.
                  So you're implying that since the long layoff Walters had didn't affect him against Garza ( a fringe contender who's lost All his step up fights and himself was coming off a year + long layoff ) .
                  It shouldn't have affected him against Lomachenko ( a fighter who Some on here consider P4P # 1) ?

Comment

He had been on similar lay offs before in his career like between the Prescott and Garza fight. That was 11 months as well right before he KO'd Darchinyan. Gary Russel only fights once a year, he doesn't look bad. It's not like he was on some Vanes level of inactivity. 11 months out happens to lots of fighters.

And it's funny how you say Bob fed him to Lomachenko when it was viewed as a very risky and dangerous fight at the time before Loma schooled him. Lots of people picked Walters to 'axe' Lomachenko. I wouldn't be surprised if you did. Walters was also the one **** talking to get the Loma fight. He got what he wanted and he was embarrassed...that's why he probably didn't fight again. I would guess Loma took his passion for fighting.
                    I actually was pretty high on Walters around that time.

But I am most definitely not a fan of boxers being inactive. That dulls their skills and reflexes.

Anyway...so you're saying that Lomachenko ruined him and caused him to retire?

Comment

Working...
                    X