Building a boxers physique

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a boxers physique

Evening folks,

So i started boxing a couple of months back in order to 'get fit'. However, after many tiring sessions it has come to light that i need to improve my physique just to box. I am looking to up my boxing game with 2 group sessions and 1 personal training session a week. This will also include 2 full body workouts in between to support endurance/conditioning etc. I was wondering what exercises and with what reps/sets you guys would recommend to develop (some) strength but mainly endurance, conditioning and power. I've researched to find that not alot of boxers do 'heavylifting' especially in bicep curls and bench presses. My main focus right now is to use my training to build endurance and shred body fat. I'm 19, 75kg at 18% body fat. Any help would be much appreciated.

Sprints, sprints up hill when they get easier.
    2x a week
    2x a week long distance jog, 3-4 miles.

Jump rope 20-40 minutes before all workouts, or even after.

Push ups, crunches, Pull ups, 3-4 times a week. Don't worry About rep ranges right now, your a beginner just do as many as you can.

Proper diet. controlling your carbs is the most important, control your carbs, control your diet.

Comment

Cardio. Shoulders.
      The only thing you NEED to work is cardio though.

Addix hit on a lot good points as well.

Comment

Ok cool,
        So what about things like squats/deadlifts shoulder presses, chest flys?
        I heard using medicine balls is good training for boxing. Medicine ball slam downs/ throws etc. What about battle ropes for cardio and conditioning? I tried them last week. For cardio what do yous recommend? Im easily bored when running, but i enjoy skipping. The only thing is from skipping i keep getting really bad shin splints. Any advice how to prevent or recover from them?

Comment

Originally posted by hrahman7860 View Post
          Ok cool,
          I heard using medicine balls is good training for boxing. Medicine ball slam downs/ throws etc. What about battle ropes for cardio and conditioning? I tried them last week. For cardio what do yous recommend? Im easily bored when running, but i enjoy skipping. The only thing is from skipping i keep getting really bad shin splints. Any advice how to prevent or recover from them?

Personally I wouldnt start heavy weight lifting on the legs until you are where you want to be aerobically. I am not against lifting weights below the waist while you box but it has to be done right and if you do it right you will need to take about 10days - 2weeks to recover. If not your cardio will suffer.

Comment

Originally posted by hrahman7860 View Post
            Ok cool,
            Medicine ball slams are awesome, battle ropes great too, if you want to box, than you shouldn't worry about weights, they aren't needed, and training your ligaments to be flexible and loose is more important for you right now.

Running is apart of boxing training, I'd recommend doing some running and some stair work if your easily bored with, running becomes second nature after a fee months of doing it though.

Shin splints are most likely caused by nit being active for awhile, bad running sneakers, or bad running form. Make sure when your running your not smacking your feet on the ground and landing in the back of your feet, you should be landing on the front of your feet.

On a treadmill running slightly up hill can help with this.

Comment

Working...
            X