No announcement yet.

Finger pain boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finger pain boxing

So ever since Ive started boxing ive had this real bad finger pain in all my fingers, near to the nails, but not so much knuckle pain and its only now that im a bit concerned about it. My punching technique isnt bad but my training gloves are really crap, £12 lonsdale gloves, the cheapest i could find and theyre the only gloves ive ever trained with. Even if i'm not tired, my fingers make me have to lower my output and power once they start hurting. Is it the gloves that are doing this to my fingers somehow and what could i do to combat this pain?

And also, Could this cause long term damage? I've been boxing for 2 years with this finger pain

take the top off your punching bag and take all the stuffing out of it, and then put stuffing in a bunch of small plastic grocery bags and double tie those. you'll end up with about 1/3rd less stuffing when it's all said and done, and your punches will sink into the bag much better.

Comment

Yeah I cant do that since i usually train at the gym

Comment

Wrap hands better or use better gloves. They sell some 180s

Comment

Firstly go see a doc, understand how your fingers are. So that no long term damage is caused. Then you can buy a pair of decent gloves that would protect your fingers in a better way.

Comment

Yea, you can create long-term damage. Obvious, get some good gloves. Also, re-evaluate your form. I used to get pinger pain when I;
            -punched with my whole fist instead of focusing the knuckles on the target.
            -wore gloves that were bulky in the fingers and not the knuckles, causing all the impact to push down against the fingers repeatedly.

Comment

Originally posted by Mokib View Post
              So ever since Ive started boxing ive had this real bad finger pain in all my fingers, near to the nails, but not so much knuckle pain and its only now that im a bit concerned about it. My punching technique isnt bad but my training gloves are really crap, £12 lonsdale gloves, the cheapest i could find and theyre the only gloves ive ever trained with. Even if i'm not tired, my fingers make me have to lower my output and power once they start hurting. Is it the gloves that are doing this to my fingers somehow and what could i do to combat this pain?

And also, Could this cause long term damage? I've been boxing for 2 years with this finger pain
              Is this pain all the time or only during Boxing?

I've had a multitude of hand injuries and never even remotely heard of what you have. You probably got some sort of nerve damage my friend. Maybe it's gloves, could be the way you wrap or the type of wraps you use. The wraps sounds more likely, but I'm not a Sports Doctor.

If I was you, I would stop Boxing immediately. Get an appointment with a orthopedic surgeon that specializes in sports medicine. They're everywhere, trust me.

I doubt it's your form. Bad form injuries are in the wrist, elbow, and shoulder.

Comment

Originally posted by McNulty View Post
                Is this pain all the time or only during Boxing?

I've had a multitude of hand injuries and never even remotely heard of what you have. You probably got some sort of nerve damage my friend. Maybe it's gloves, could be the way you wrap or the type of wraps you use. The wraps sounds more likely, but I'm not a Sports Doctor.

If I was you, I would stop Boxing immediately. Get an appointment with a orthopedic surgeon that specializes in sports medicine. They're everywhere, trust me.

I doubt it's your form. Bad form injuries are in the wrist, elbow, and shoulder.
                Well damn, I'll get myself checked asap then.

However i have just realised, it happens a lot during drills where my gloves act like pads with a partner. But even in sparring blocking/parrying with my inner glove is hella painful and makes me lower my poer and output. So could this still be the case as it isnt that common when actually punching?

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                  Yea, you can create long-term damage. Obvious, get some good gloves. Also, re-evaluate your form. I used to get pinger pain when I;
                  -punched with my whole fist instead of focusing the knuckles on the target.
                  -wore gloves that were bulky in the fingers and not the knuckles, causing all the impact to push down against the fingers repeatedly.
                  Well i bought some better (hopefully) gloves and longer handwraps today, hopefully thats enough to sort it, but I'll work on punching with the knuckle as you say, since Ive never focused on that,

How likely is it that ive already got some future wear and tear damage waiting for me (ive had this pain regularly for 2 years) ?

Comment

Originally posted by ruthcurry View Post
                    Firstly go see a doc, understand how your fingers are. So that no long term damage is caused. Then you can buy a pair of decent gloves that would protect your fingers in a better way.
                    Got a pair of probox gloves with imf padding which ive heard good things about today.

Comment

Working...
                    X