Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Taylor-Martin/Burnett-Donaire WBSS Show Streamed Free In UK

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steven Mccowan View Post
    Lol. Be happy. I got DAZN and love it. Its cheap too and has other boxing content. Last yr i watched wbss free on youtube. Thing tht gets me is who the hell is running wbss and why are they constantly shooting themselves in the foot? I mean wbss is a great thing...make good deals and let it grow. I guess because they bankers and smugglers they just dont care about money as much and turn down what is probably solid tv deals. Would be great for the boxers though. Enjoy
    Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
    The guy ostensibly in charge is Kalle Sauerland and the man is clearly a flagrant cocaine enthusiast... nonetheless there is method behind the drug fueled madness. Right now the WBSS are still building their brand and it seems to working. In the US and other countries where they have DAZN this will help build the subscriber base, in countries where they don't they will whet people's appetite by showing most or all of the quarter finals for free and then charge (possibly selectively per country based on who is fighting) for the Semis and finals.
    I think Kalle is the lead promoter and spokesman for the WBSS, but it won't be him who decided not to sell screening rights to anybody in the UK.

The people in charge are the same organisation who own the European Champions League. They are in the process of building the WBSS brand up at the moment. They must not have liked either the money they were offered for the UK screening rights, or something about how the bidders were planning to present the tournament.
    Last edited by kafkod; 11-01-2018, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Great news indeed.

Comment

Good card this. 2 interesting headline fights, Butler and Postol on the undercard.

Towards the back end of the last WBSS series, this card would of probably been on ITV Box Office, so getting it free is nice bonus. I'm looking forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Marvlus Marv View Post
          It's actually discrimination against Brits. Why should we have to get more free boxing and pay less for PPVs? They're basically saying we can't afford the 60+ dollars for the exact same show. I'm even prepared to "take a knee" in protest before next Saturday's WBSS.
          Good idea! We can't allow ourselves to be treated with such contempt and disrespect. I'm going to find a bar that's showing the fights and make my protest there.

And if I can't find anywhere showing it, I'm going outside my house right before the show starts and taking a knee by the side of the road so everybody can see me.

I'm not taking this shit standing up or sitting on my arse, that's for sure!
          Last edited by kafkod; 11-01-2018, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fabes88 View Post
            Wait I’m confused. You’re British and you’re going to stop watching because of what people 1000’s of miles away have to pay? I’ve heard of empathy but this is taking it a bit far no?
            Not because of that ... because UK fans are getting it for free.

It's not fair that we don't get a chance to brag about how much we pay to watch fights here, like American fans do!

Comment

Happy that it's free but what does this say about the future of the WBSS if no TV channels are bothering to pick it up?

Comment

Can only assume WBSS are asking for a ****load of money/ or too much control over the broadcast for British networks to want to take it.

Shame. But I prefer this to ITV PPV all day every day.

Long live WBSS

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
                  I think Kalle is the lead promoter and spokesman for the WBSS, but it won't be him who decided not to sell screening rights to anybody in the UK.

The people in charge are the same organisation who own the European Champions League. They are in the process of building the WBSS brand up at the moment. They must not have liked either the money they were offered for the UK screening rights, or something about how the bidders were planning to present the tournament.
                  Lead promoter and spokesperson sounds about right, and those are plausible reasons why they may not have granted screening rights. Whereas in series 1 names like Groves and Eubank would sell a fight (and there were enough UK fighters in the mix that at least 1 was virtually guaranteed to make the final), Taylor and Burnett are less well known and it's possible ITV are waiting to see how the the quarter finals turn out before committing. Whatever the reason though, it does make sense for the organisers to provide a free stream for the quarter finals to build interest in the brand as a whole and for later fights in the tournament which are then more likely to be picked up by broadcasters.

Comment

Originally posted by MickG View Post
                    This is refreshing. As to the difference between pricing between the UK and the US, if you're dumb enough to pay $80 for a fight they'll keep charging $80. If people refuse to pay it they'll reduce the price...simple supply and demand economics. Although if you're voting people like Trump into power, grasping simple economic principles might be a bridge too far ✌️����
                    americans are idiots plain and simple. these fools get fleeced buying crappy freakshow ppvs like mcgregor vs gayweather jr lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
                      Can only assume WBSS are asking for a ****load of money/ or too much control over the broadcast for British networks to want to take it.

Shame. But I prefer this to ITV PPV all day every day.

Long live WBSS
                      Great point, ITV PPV sucks the big one. Poor hosts, commentary pundits, and even camera work. Richie Woodall is a decent pundit/commentator decent in terms of his knowledge, but his Brummie accent is so depressing to listen to.
                      Shame BT or Sky could't pick it up though, even if it wasn't on PPV. You know what you're getting with their coverage, and they get more than enough funding from advertising and standard subscription fees.
                      I'll be streaming this for free on my tablet while the wife catches up on Strictly.

Comment

Working...
                      X