No announcement yet.

Tips for cutting back on sodium?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for cutting back on sodium?

High blood pressure (sort of) runs in my family and I'm trying to maintain a diet where I don't take in a bunch of excess sodium.

It seems like everywhere you turn, food is loaded with sodium and if you don't watch it at all, you may very well take in 300% the daily recommended sodium in a day.

One cool trick I found so far is that steel cut oats have no sodium whereas the quicker oatmeal has a decent amount. It takes about 1/2 hour to make, but I just make a gigantic batch for the whole week.

Originally posted by Julia Slobberts View Post
    High blood pressure (sort of) runs in my family and I'm trying to maintain a diet where I don't take in a bunch of excess sodium.

It seems like everywhere you turn, food is loaded with sodium and if you don't watch it at all, you may very well take in 300% the daily recommended sodium in a day.

One cool trick I found so far is that steel cut oats have no sodium whereas the quicker oatmeal has a decent amount. It takes about 1/2 hour to make, but I just make a gigantic batch for the whole week.
    Have home cooked food, all takeaways etc are loaded for of the salt to help preserve

Comment

I'm convinced everything tastes like cardboard w/o sodium cuz its EVERYWHERE & in EVERYTHING.

But I'm just posting to be subscribed so I can hear some tips.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
        I'm convinced everything tastes like cardboard w/o sodium cuz its EVERYWHERE & in EVERYTHING.

Ah welcome to the thread! I was able to give the "steel cut oats over instant oatmeal" tip so far. Hopefully more tips are coming soon!

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post

Other than morning tea, all I drink is water with lemon to flush things out all day long.

Comment

I also started using no salt added tomato sauce and put garlic in it instead of using the already made spaghetti sauce since that stuff is loaded with sodium.

Comment

There’s loads of natural remedies to lower blood pressure, something I’ve always done from my steroid induced bodybuilding days is to take 75mg of coated aspirin daily.

Comment

I also started using no salt added tomato sauce and put garlic in it instead of using the already made spaghetti sauce since that stuff is loaded with sodium.
                when I make sauce I put in a very small amount of salt. If others want more salt they can use the shaker. Grating cheese is loaded with salt also so beware..

Comment

You need to take in around 2,000mg sodium per day. Just do the math.

I do half cup organic rolled oats (0 sodium) with cup of organic skim (135 sodium) in the morning. Takes ~2 minutes in the microwave. Then you got 1,865 sodium left.
                  Last edited by McNulty; 06-02-2018, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
                    when I make sauce I put in a very small amount of salt. If others want more salt they can use the shaker. Grating cheese is loaded with salt also so beware..
                    That's my only vice. I love salt. Wish they made a salt sub like sweet and low.

Comment

Working...
                    X