Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many good Fat Yank fighters are there currently?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many good Fat Yank fighters are there currently?

I often get accused on here (usually by ******s to be fair) of being "anti-American" because I never big up many US boxers. If you'll look closely I rarely big up UK boxers either, unless they're Danny Williams, No.1 ATG. But here's two facts:

1. At least six or seven of my all-time ten favourite boxers are Fat Yanks. In this I include the likes of Ali, Frazier, Holyfield... I might even include that lisping rapist.

2. I think a lot of Fat Yank boxers today are pretty cack.

That's the thing. It's a nadir for Fat Yankery in the sport. In particular, the heavyweight scene is now so dire that the US has taken under its wing Chris "The Nipple" Arreola, a 480lb beaner to represent.

Here's some Fat Yank boxers I rate:

* Gayleather. The guy's retired. Supposedly, anyway.

* Wanky Wrong. I have a lot of time and respect for Wanky, but when it comes down to it... he's so boring he's like a mogadon in pugilist form. The only danger of him putting his opponents to sleep is if they watch his highlight reel.

Those aren't the ONLY Fat Yank boxers I rate, but I need to take a ****. Discuss.

Dawson
    Bradley
    Peterson x2
    Williams
    Mosley
    Campbell
    Pavlik
    Taylor
    Hopkins
    Arreola
    Cunningham
    Cloud
    Banks
    Holt
    Dirrell
    Andre
    Kirkland
    Ward
    Forrest
    Berto

Comment

Originally posted by Duke McKenzie_ View Post
      I often get accused on here (usually by ******s to be fair) of being "anti-American" because I never big up many US boxers.
      Well you aren't helping yourself by using the words 'Fat Yank' in the thread title

Comment

Dawson - decent fighter, agreed
        Bradley - he seems good too
        Peterson x2 - haven't seen these guys I have to concede
        Williams - he's okay, but VERY overrated on here
        Mosley - Yeah, good fighter
        Campbell - I like Nate
        Pavlik - I like Moby, but he's very one-dimensional and I wasn't surprised that Hopkins beat him
        Taylor - I like Taylor but his stamina is awful
        Hopkins - Can be really good, but not a crowd pleaser, certainly
        Arreola - The Nipple's a sack of **** that will get KO'd against the first top ten guy he fights IMO
        Cunningham - Haven't seen him
        Cloud - Impressive, at least at the level
        Banks - Don't think I've seen him
        Holt - Good from what I've seen
        Berto - I used to have a lot of time for Berto, but he seems to have hit his ceiling and is just contender level now. His chin is also a worry.

Comment

Hopkins is still right up there obviously. The likes of Dawson, Paul Williams, Mosley and Pavlik are still right up the top of their divisions. Then you have the guys sitting in behind them like Berto, Wright, Forrest, etc. So yeah, American boxing is doing well. A lot, lot better than the Brits anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewcuff View Post
            Well you aren't helping yourself by using the words 'Fat Yank' in the thread title
            I know, baa.

Comment

Yanks like me need to be honest about the state of American boxing....

Mosley only has a couple of fights left, Hopkins will retire shortly if he already hasn't. Then we will have no one on the P4P list left. After that us Yanks have to rely on Dawson to succeed in a weak division to gain notoriety. Pavlik will lose to Abraham/Kessler once/if they fight. We have some prospects like Direll and Ward but what happens after they lose?????

Andre Berto already lost IMO....

Comment

Originally posted by andrewcuff View Post
                Not when he mentions Chris Arreola.

Comment

Originally posted by danc1984 View Post
                  So yeah, American boxing is doing well. A lot, lot better than the Brits anyway.
                  See, I knew someone would say that, but it's irrelevant. I haven't mentioned UK boxing, and the fact that I come from there has nothing to do with my point.

I'd contest the point anyway... bear in mind a level of proportional representationism has factor into that argument (it has around a quarter of the population of the US) then UK boxing isn't doing that badly. There's a champ or contender in most of the upper divisions.

Comment

Originally posted by ALT=_=Assassin View Post
                    Yanks like me need to be honest about the state of American boxing....

Mosley only has a couple of fights left, Hopkins will retire shortly if he already hasn't. Then we will have no one on the P4P list left. After that us Yanks have to rely on Dawson to succeed in a weak division to gain notoriety. Pavlik will lose to Abraham/Kessler once/if they fight. We have some prospects like Direll and Ward but what happens after they lose?????

Andre Berto already lost IMO....
                    Thank **** for you, brother. 100% the truth.

Comment

Working...
                    X