Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has there ever been a fight with so many excuses used BEFORE the fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Floyd v Manny generation. Simple as that. Whereas people who enjoyed boxing before DLH VS Mayweather have enough excitement from a good matchup, those who started liking the sport for that fight and/or after need some bullshhh drama to enjoy the sport. This is why you see outlandish azz predictions on here on fight week. If a win is that guaranteed why even bother?

Comment

You know what's worst than making excuses when you lose is making an excuse when you win. Like, the reason he didn't get a KO was because he was fighting a cruiser weight.

Comment

pretty much any big mayweather fight had far more excuses for those who hated mayweather but i get your point no doubt they are building them up

Comment

human psychology. Golovkin performed poorly last fight, thus the high from his fans isnt as high as canelo's fans as canelo has just looked good. If both were at a high the fans would be more mentally confident.

This is the usual result when you wait a guy out til he starts slowing down. I dont remember many excuses for matthysse vs garcia, just two sides hyping their guys.

The issue here is that golovkin is at the age of past prime, did look poor last fight, so you can think he'll probably win, but you will likely also wonder if he'll show up old.
          Last edited by SplitSecond; 09-13-2017, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorak Hunt View Post
            All i read about lately is how canelos got the judges and refs in his back pocket, GGG has aged considerable and nelo will outweigh him. Seriously every excuse in the book has been used BEFORE the goddamn fight. The only one that holds any weight is the judges and barely at that. People need to support the fighters or the fight and just stfu and stop trying to drown out the hype with their negative bs.
            Canelo comes into the ring heavier than GGG, he's the Ring and lineal MW champion and his last fight was at SMW .. but Golovkin dragged him up from 154. That's the stupidest pre-fight excuse I've been seeing.

Comment

It's just the nature of the modern boxing fan.

There's barely such thing as a genuine good win anymore in the eyes of boxing fans, there's always an excuse.

Comment

Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
                human psychology. Golovkin performed poorly last fight, thus the high from his fans isnt as high as canelo's fans as canelo has just looked good. If both were at a high the fans would be more mentally confident.

This is the usual result when you wait a guy out til he starts slowing down. I dont remember many excuses for matthysse vs garcia, just two sides hyping their guys.

The issue here is that golovkin is at the age of past prime, did look poor last fight, so you can think he'll probably win, but you will likely also wonder if he'll show up old.
                It's hilarious how GGG haters have been calling him old and over the hill for 2/3 years, but since he signed to fight Canelo everybody has to pretend he's 25, not 35, otherwise they're making excuses.

Comment

All i read about lately is how canelos got the judges and refs in his back pocket, GGG has aged considerable and nelo will outweigh him. Seriously every excuse in the book has been used BEFORE the goddamn fight. The only one that holds any weight is the judges and barely at that. People need to support the fighters or the fight and just stfu and stop trying to drown out the hype with their negative bs.
                  The same thing happened once Floyd/Manny was made.

From my reading, the real GGG fans (except Maxi who is just being Maxi and making crap threads lol) do not seem worried. They are still confident GGG will knock Canelo out.

The guys that jumped on his bandwagon or the guys that like him primarily for other reasons are the ones that seem to be hedging their bets as the fight draws close. Of course they never really believed in his ability, they just moved to him once Manny and Kov lost.

Comment

Originally posted by harwri008 View Post
                    You know what's worst than making excuses when you lose is making an excuse when you win. Like, the reason he didn't get a KO was because he was fighting a cruiser weight.
                    Yeah. I agree with you on this.

Comment

I think you forget Canelo/GB statements and diversionary tactics prior to being forced in a corner to fight Golovkin. However GGG fans shouldn't stand by he "waited him out to old age" thing, considering Golovkin never really was a big name until recent years.

Comment

Working...
                      X