Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people idolise muhamad ali so much?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do people idolise muhamad ali so much?

Its like they think he is a god or something

Because Muhammad Ali believed in himself , he won the fight that no one thought he could win, he moved like a lightweight being a heavyweight, he was an entertainer, he would do magic tricks, he would fool the interviewers, he give away the best years of his career to defend his believes, he spoke what he thought despite what could happen to him in a time where black men couldn't speak their thoughts, when his physical prime was ending, he won against monsters based on heart, he had wisdom and any person that met him personally would agree that he was just an special individual.
    When people like Nelson Mandela says that Ali was something else, you better believe it.
    And talking about boxing only, there wouldn't be a Tyson, Leonard, Ward, Davis Jr., Breland, Holmes, an entire generation of heavyweights, Berto, Jones, Lomachenko and probably 9 of every 10 boxers that live trough the sport, wouldn't been in the gym without the inspiration of Ali and i included myself.
    See the documentary Facing Ali so you can see how even his opponents can't deny the impact of the man.

Comment

Why not read all the material you can find on the man and then have an educated idea why so many think highly of him.
      Also start by spelling his name correctly, then readers here would be more interested in reading your posts.

Good luck on gathering up information on the Champ it's all on the net.

Ray

Comment

In an era where less is idolized more, this is a silly question....

Comment

Because Ali was great, in & out of the ring.

Comment

Ali came along at a time when boxing's popularity was at an all-time low. Liston was champion but during the mid-60's it wasn't fashionable or acceptable to have an ex-convict holding a title. The mob couldn't make money with Liston, so Ali was pushed to the forefront of boxing.

Back then, television was a very powerful entity and many people believed whatever nonsense was spewed on the tube. Ali screaming into the camera that he was the greatest stuck in the minds of impressionable fans and casuals. It became his mantra, and with the help of Howard Cosell he was launched into the pop-culture of America and known around the world. He was a polarizing figure and a master salesman. Certainly not the greatest boxer or even HW of all-time, but an important figure in the sport.

Comment

He was a great heavyweight. The young Ali who beat Sonny Liston might have been the best heavyweight in history. He gave up almost 4 years of his prime boxing career and millions of dollars in potential earnings for his principles and religious beliefs. He could have joined the army and been a celebrity and be allowed to fight professionally as often as he wanted. He choose to stay true to his beliefs instead. He had a great career and showed extreme courage in some of his fights. He was just a man and not a God. He made his share of mistakes and did some wrong things just like any other man. They way he talked about Joe Frazier and other opponents during the buildup before the fight was not something to be proud of.He may not have treated some of his wives so well as I think he was married and divorced a time or two. He demanded strict following of his Muslin religion by his wife. Still he was a great fighter and a good man who loved his fellow man. If some choose to idolize him that is their choice.

Comment

Originally posted by yngwie View Post
                Because Muhammad Ali believed in himself , he won the fight that no one thought he could win, he moved like a lightweight being a heavyweight, he was an entertainer, he would do magic tricks, he would fool the interviewers, he give away the best years of his career to defend his believes, he spoke what he thought despite what could happen to him in a time where black men couldn't speak their thoughts, when his physical prime was ending, he won against monsters based on heart, he had wisdom and any person that met him personally would agree that he was just an special individual.
                When people like Nelson Mandela says that Ali was something else, you better believe it.
                And talking about boxing only, there wouldn't be a Tyson, Leonard, Ward, Davis Jr., Breland, Holmes, an entire generation of heavyweights, Berto, Jones, Lomachenko and probably 9 of every 10 boxers that live trough the sport, wouldn't been in the gym without the inspiration of Ali and i included myself.
                See the documentary Facing Ali so you can see how even his opponents can't deny the impact of the man.
                /thread right here

Also to the fool who made the thread: it is Muhammad Ali.

Not difficult to spell the most well known name in history.

Comment

i dont know, maybe people dont know enough about him. the way he used to talk to and about joe frazier was disgusting. past the point of trash talk. struck me as a bully in terms of his personlity.

Comment

He reinvented the game. Stood up for the surpressed people. A real folk hero.

He is not the greatest inside the ring, imo, but he is pretty close. I don't think you can make a qualified top10 list without putting him somewhere in there. Probably higher than lower.

Comment

Working...
                    X