No announcement yet.

Tyson-Holyfield.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
    I felt the same regarding Tyson vs Douglas. He was losing and wanted out. Again his lack of determination, will to win is the reason he is not rated higher all time.
    Douglas himself has always said the opposite of what you're saying. He always maintained that Tyson never gave up, never stopped trying and it's clearly true when looking at the footage. If he wanted out he would have never gotten that knockdown in the 8th or tried to get up with the mouthpiece halfway in his mouth.

Douglas would know best because he was the who spanked Mike that night and he himself was a quitter.

Comment

As all through tysons career if a fighter can take his early ferocious onslaught then he will have success later on....holyfield was always a tough SOB and had great boxing ability to go with it and my personal opinion is that Holyfield just had his number.
      Holyfield was a hard man who took everything tyson had and came back

Comment

Holyfield fought like a bully (often dirty); he was in a position (size wise) to impose himself, crowd, the smaller Tyson. He couldn't get away with crowding and pushing around the bigger fighters he faced e.g Bowe; Lewis; Foreman and subsequently wasn't as effective. (Foreman spent most of the night pushing Holyfield around, no surprise.)

Comment

Disagree. Tyson became a much less active more docile fighter when he was forced to think. Inability to find a plan B, never proved he could come back from adversity to win against top talent. It’s why he is not rated higher all time.

Comment

Good points. And to paraphrase Tyson, I would say that Holyfield and Lewis as well were able to f*** Tyson until he loved them, as they beat him so bad, it was like he was their woman or, as someone earlier in this thread said, a prison rape.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
              Good points. And to paraphrase Tyson, I would say that Holyfield and Lewis as well were able to f*** Tyson until he loved them, as they beat him so bad, it was like he was their woman or, as someone earlier in this thread said, a prison rape.
              A decent prison rape.

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
                Disagree. Tyson became a much less active more docile fighter when he was forced to think. Inability to find a plan B, never proved he could come back from adversity to win against top talent. It’s why he is not rated higher all time.
                You just jogged my memory. I remember very early on when Tyson was thought unbeatable, in an interview with Larry Merchant (when he was still talking to him) Tyson said he hoped his career would include everything, and that some day he would lose and have to comeback from adversity like the great champions did. Guess it was one of those times when you have to be careful what you wish for. (I am not positive, but pretty sure he actually used the 'adversity.')

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey-Louis View Post
                  You just jogged my memory. I remember very early on when Tyson was thought unbeatable, in an interview with Larry Merchant (when he was still talking to him) Tyson said he hoped his career would include everything, and that some day he would lose and have to comeback from adversity like the great champions did. Guess it was one of those times when you have to be careful what you wish for. (I am not positive, but pretty sure he actually used the 'adversity.')
                  He probably didn't prepare for the multi-year gap of prison time.

Comment

Originally posted by Scopedog View Post
                    I think Holyfield's durability is what won him that fight. Tyson hurt him early on and almost had him, a few more clean punches and that fight could have ended very differently. However, once the early storm was weathered and it turned into an even exchange the balance just kept inexorably ticking in Holyfield's favour. Tyson never took it as well as he gave.
                    I don't think that Holyfield was really hurt, just briefly wobbled but he was never intimidated by Iron Mike, and had the tools to take care of business. That's why he won convincingly, and would have knocked him out again in the rematch had it not been for the infamous ear biting incident.

Comment

Originally posted by broblin View Post
                      I don't think that Holyfield was really hurt, just briefly wobbled but he was never intimidated by Iron Mike, and had the tools to take care of business. That's why he won convincingly, and would have knocked him out again in the rematch had it not been for the infamous ear biting incident.
                      In the first fight he was wobbled or rematch?

Comment

Working...
                      X