Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not enough diversity in elite NY Highschools, libs want to change admission standards

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love how all this minority discrimination never negatively impacts or effects Asians. We must look into this racist system that props up Asian supremacy.

Comment

Originally posted by JimRaynor View Post
      I love how all this minority discrimination never negatively impacts or effects Asians. We must look into this racist system that props up Asian supremacy.
      I visited UC Irvine several years back. I'd say well over half the students I saw there were Asians.

I also saw a very large number of very nice cars in student parking areas.

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
        I agree w/ bold... At least as far as preparation for SHSAT goes, Asians disproportionately pay for test prep services for the test.

I don't think this is completely true. Since grades are not considered now at all for admission, they could be added as a criteria. For instance, granting automatic admission to the top x students (in terms of GPA) of every middle school would likely make the classes more diverse without considering race as a factor explicitly and without referring to subjective criteria.

But many parents are arguing that the better route is to keep admissions test only and improve access to test prep. The answer of which is best isn't obvious to me, but I don't think they will end up arbitrarily offering admissions to Black & Latino students to diversify the student pool.
        This is true. My wife is asian and she told me about all the clases her parents had her in when she was young. Math academies, reading, sat courses etc.

You think they spend a lot of money, but really it’s the equivalent of what my parents spent on my sports stuff. Just different mentality I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by JJRod View Post
          This is true. My wife is asian and she told me about all the clases her parents had her in when she was young. Math academies, reading, sat courses etc.

You think they spend a lot of money, but really it’s the equivalent of what my parents spent on my sports stuff. Just different mentality I guess.
          To be fair, I don't know what these things cost and they may be perfectly reasonable considering the value they appear to provide.

I think the fact that Black and Latino populations of these schools has fallen substantially, without any change in the admission criteria (eg the same test as always), indicates something other than inherent ability of students of each race is at the heart of what's going on.

And, like you've pointed out, I think it comes down to how Asian students have been preparing for this test more seriously than students of other races.

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
            To be fair, I don't know what these things cost and they may be perfectly reasonable considering the value they appear to provide.

I think the fact that Black and Latino populations of these schools has fallen substantially, without any change in the admission criteria (eg the same test as always), indicates something other than inherent ability of students of each race is at the heart of what's going on.

And, like you've pointed out, I think it comes down to how Asian students have been preparing for this test more seriously than students of other races.
            Prices do vary from academy to academy but honestly not much different from the money some parents spend on athletics for kids.

Comment

My cousin got into that school about 4 years ago, and graduated from it. She's very smart though. Her father cared a lot about her education growing up.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                This should get interesting considering they will need to turn away more qualified Asian kids from getting in. Once again, identity politics overrides hard work and discipline.
                In California 2014, the liberals cried that there were too many Asians at UC Berkeley, UCLA, Stanford, Caltech, and other elite California universities, they proposed scrapping the admission standards that used GPA, SAT scores, and other extracurricular activities and reintroducing Affirmative Action, which Californians voted to banned in 1994, when this state was still somewhat conservative.

Noticed a trend here?

Comment

Then they won't be elite anymore, and the next schools down on the list will become the elite schools.

Then those too will be "diversified" and their academic metrics will plunge. And so on.

A war against the gifted. Which in the long run may not be a bad thing. I'd rather see mediocre "diversity quota" students harmlessly indoctrinated at elite schools while truly high IQ students opt for decentralized education.

They force-diversified some of the nicer Cal State campuses & instantly those campuses lost their reputations as being UC tier, became dumpy party schools.
                  Last edited by ////; 03-21-2019, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Keep the test. F### the rest.

Comment

There's a reason why Affirmative Action exists - no-one can stop the Asians so they have to play dirty and lower their SAT scores.

It couldn't possibly be that Asians EARNED their spot by being very smart and studying a lot, it must be some Asian supremacist conspiracy. It's a wonder Asians even vote Democrat when they never get anything, they don't even have the privilege of getting a state handed victim card.

Also, the most liberal people are very rich and they don't want 'their' schools or neighborhoods being diversified, just everyone else's. Sort of like how Hollywood works - minorities are used as tokens but they hold all the positions of power.

Comment

Working...
                      X