Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Jacobs Feels Golovkin's Hype is Built on Calculated Matchmaking

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thaman2x View Post
    Some of the people on this board view things so one-sidedly, that its nauseating. Sure, he fought the "best that was willing to step in the ring with him," but why settle for that? Why not move up in weight to grab a bigger name? That's what all the REAL champions did.
    TIL Monzon and Hagler (among many others) weren't real champions.

Comment

Originally posted by Isaac Clarke View Post
      Someone did a thread a couple of weeks ago. Golovkin has only fought like 4 guys who actually started at MW, the rest of his opponents moved up from lower weights. What have any of them done after fighting Golovkin? The ones that had little success like Geale were at the end of their career when they fought Golovkin. There's some truth to what Jacobs is saying.
      Like 99% of the sport starts at a lower weight and moves up throughout their careers. That's a very strange argument to make supporting Jacobs here. All of Golovkin's best wins are full-fledged middleweights, and some were huge for the division.

Comment

Originally posted by Ake-Dawg View Post
        Wade and Willie Monroe were top 10 middleweights willing to fight him. So we have to put things in perspective. No one is pretending. Jacobs opinion is no different than many that post here on NSB.
        Those are nowhere near his best wins, though, and only the biggest nuthuggers care at all about them. Those are the kind of unavoidable tuneups when a fighter fights 3-4 times a year.

Comment

Someone did a thread a couple of weeks ago. Golovkin has only fought like 4 guys who actually started at MW, the rest of his opponents moved up from lower weights. What have any of them done after fighting Golovkin? The ones that had little success like Geale were at the end of their career when they fought Golovkin. There's some truth to what Jacobs is saying.
          Do you have to chip in after every GGG article with negative bullshit like this?

Most boxers turn pro in their early twenties or late teens then move from their original division as they mature.

You could look at the record of any top class fighter and find that most of their opponents started out in lower divisions and moved up like that.

And what did GGG's victims do after he KTTFO?

What could they do with GGG holding 3 of the MW titles and BJS incubating the other?

If they were all smaller than him and moved up from WW and SWW, to fight him, maybe you can explain why they didn't move back down again after GGG destroyed them?

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
            Like 99% of the sport starts at a lower weight and moves up throughout their careers. That's a very strange argument to make supporting Jacobs here. All of Golovkin's best wins are full-fledged middleweights, and some were huge for the division.
            what are ''full-fledged'' middleweights? Who were those best wins? Murray, you referring to size? a seasoned middleweight can be small, average, or big.

''Cotto...he too small..'' - Golovkin
            ''Brook...too small..'' - Golovkin
            ''Look at me, I am small Middleweight...'' - Golovkin (clownage)

Comment

Those are nowhere near his best wins, though, and only the biggest nuthuggers care at all about them. Those are the kind of unavoidable tuneups when a fighter fights 3-4 times a year.
              I didn't say they were his best wins. Just responding to another poster referring to the top 10 MWs that Trip has fought over the last 3 years. Perspective is needed regarding the loose usage of top 10.

Comment

Why do Golovkin fans keep repeating the nonsense that Martinez ducked Golovkin?
                Not sure. Factually, Martinez was fighting Chavez at about the same time that Golovkin was starting to come onto the scene with the Proksa win.

Martinez was basically done once his knee blew out in the 12th with Chavez, so in my book their reigns just didn't overlap.

Golovkin would have steam-rolled a crippled Martinez like Cotto did (only reason Cotto could....), and beating Martinez would have justifiably been labelled as 'fighting someone at the end of their career'.

As for Golovkin's other opponents, someone mentioned Geale, who is only 14 months older than Golovkin - maybe Golovkin ended his career (and Cotto sweating him down to 157 proved he was a middleweight and couldn't fight at under 160).

Someone mentioned most of Golovkin's opponents had moved up in weight at some time in the past ? Pretty much all fighters start at lower weights when younger and settle at a higher weight when matured. Golovkin himself was fighting at 140 in 2000. If you look at the list of fighters he was taking on in later world championships, Bute, Lee, Dirrell, Korobov, I see no argument to support that he's systematically selecting smaller opponents either.

Comment

JUST LIKE MANNY THE CATCHWEIGHT KING CHERRYPICKERS CAREER..... SAME SHID DIFFERENT ERA

Comment

Originally posted by Ake-Dawg View Post
                    I didn't say they were his best wins. Just responding to another poster referring to the top 10 MWs that Trip has fought over the last 3 years. Perspective is needed regarding the loose usage of top 10.
                    They may have been top 10 within sanctioning organizations, but that's not what I personally refer to when I say he's fighting willing top 10 MWs. I'm talking about Macklin, Geale, Lemieux, Rubio, Murray, and Stevens. Fighters who were ranked top 10 by The Ring or TBRB.

Comment

They may have been top 10 within sanctioning organizations, but that's not what I personally refer to when I say he's fighting willing top 10 MWs. I'm talking about Macklin, Geale, Lemieux, Rubio, Murray, and Stevens. Fighters who were ranked top 10 by The Ring or TBRB.
                      Its hard to consider Ring rankings. They can no longer be seen as fair or objective, especially when discussing the rankings of GBP employed fighters or those employed by Haymon while ODH was suing him.

If they were ranked in the TBRB top 10 then That is legit.

Comment

Working...
                      X