No announcement yet.

The Survivor 2016 Boxing Awards

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
    Verdejo has one and ended the year with a KO and is firmly putting himself in line for a title shot.

Who would you have over him?

And what would be your upset of the year then?

what?
    Ali's death was most definitely the biggest moment in boxing this year

Comment

Originally posted by R_Walken View Post
      He fought a nobody and didn't look great then f.ucked himself in a bike accident and was shelved for the rest of the year

He's in line for a Top Rank WBO belt nothing to see there they have almost exclusive claim on those titles even though he got a meaningless title Valdez to me leapfrogged Felix are far as a future Young gun in TR stable

How do you define prospect. Is it a fighter that hasn't won a title yet or a young fighter that you think will dominate for years to come

If it's a fighter that hasn't won a title yet but probably will Id go with Lubin or Lipinets to me both are beasts and probably get some hardware down the line and are impressive and show out every time they fight

As far as upsets Id go Smith/Fonfara that was his coming out party and I think the odds were higher against him.I think Bernard took on Smith thinking he was basic and it backfired Guerrero /Cab driver was a good upset also

Oh and Id put Thurman/Porter as fight of the year it was a great fight that meant something . Chisora /Whyte didn't really mean much In the heavyweight landscape
      Verdejo had 3 solid wins and like I said, a prospect is any younger fighter aged 25 or younger who has not yet fought for a world title.

Lipinet would be too old for my criteria and in terms of lubin, I haven't seen him box so can't say much but his record looks good for a guy so young. Not much of an argument from me if you pick him, I just feel Verdejo is a better all round prospect.

Thurman/Porter was a good fight and in a year of mediocre in ring action, I'd pick it in a top 5 but Chisora v WHyte was not only the best heavyweight clash in years, it was brutal and draining on a level that only the truly top fights are.

Personally I don't see Thurman/Porter THAT much more relevant than my pick. We all know Pac and Bradley are the two top guys and everyone is fighting to supplant them. It's kinda the same with the hw picture now that Fury is absent. WHyte has put himself in the mix as a top WBC contender with the win.

Comment

Originally posted by Mc,Lovin View Post
        Ali's death was most definitely the biggest moment in boxing this year
        ahhh thats what you mean but it's not a boxing moment. My moment of the year goes to actual boxing, in ring moments.

Comment

Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
          Filter of the year is fine
          I'd give N'Dam the KO of the year or that kid that works with Abel that just beat Lebedev
          Fight of the year Vargas-Salido
          Prospect should be someone who actually did something this year not looked horrible then got hurt riding a motorcycle.

I think Smith win over Fonfara was more of an upset.. Nobody had ever heard of the kid before that. The Hopkins fight we knew he had a chance and HOP is like 152 years old.

Moment should be the trainer hitting Juan Ma with a check left hook and staggering him into the ropes lol...
          LOL come on

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
          pretty ****ing solid list to be fair. As good an awards one as ive seen.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
            The much vaunted awards are back and here are the winners for this years categories:

Fighter of the Year
            Carl "The Jackal" Frampton

Fight of the Year
            Dillian Whyte v Derek Chisora

KO of the Year
            Saul Alvarez KO Amir Khan

Prospect of the Year
            Felix Verdejo

Upset of the Year
            Joe Smith KO Bernard Hopkins

Moment of the Year
            Joe Smith KO Bernard Hopkins

Watch list for 2017
            1. Anthony Joshua
            2. Artur Beterbiev
            3. Alexander Usyk

Comeback of the Year
            Manny Pacquiao

Waste of Space 2016
            Tyson Fury

Prospect of the year is restricted to fighters 25 or under who have yet to fight for a world title.
            Really solid list IMO. i would have frankie gomez ahead of Verdejo as far as prospect of the year, and salido-vargas to me was the fight of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by Juicy J View Post
              Really solid list IMO. i would have frankie gomez ahead of Verdejo as far as prospect of the year, and salido-vargas to me was the fight of the year.
              Can't argue too much with Gomez as he beat a solid fighter in Harrera although the scores were probably a bit too wide.

In terms of fight of the year, Vargas v Salido is up there. If I was making a top 5 it would probably come in at 2nd or 3rd.

Comment

Working...
              X