Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What score do you give to a fighter who was knocked down but won the round?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by techliam View Post
    Yes I See this point, but it is not the role of judge to determine this. If the referee has called knockdown, the judge must score it a knockdown. This role of determining slips is up to the referee.

As for flash knockdown, yes...maybe the system should be changed to account for this (can of worms in my opinion though). But a knockdown is a knockdown. If all your opponent can do is outbox you for the round, it would be extremely hard to influence that judge. Hence 10-8
    Yes of course it's the ref who decides the KD or not. I actually mentioned the ref but deleted it because my sentence was badly constructed. You just cannot justify a 10-8 for a fighter who has otherwise lost the round well just because his opponent lost a point for a KD. (regardless of the quality of the KD). Surely you have listened to analysts and commentators chatting together over the score of a particular round where this point has been brought up.

It seems that you and i have reached an impasse where we can agree to disagree. No harm done and thank you for the interesting exchange.
    Last edited by edgarg; 12-12-2013, 09:50 PM.

Comment

How about Berto/Ortiz where they both scored a KD in the same round? Can it be 8-8??

Comment

I think, in that case the knockdowns cancel eachother out. So you score the round as you usually would..10-9 in favour of who you thought won the round. Or 10-10 if you thought it was an even round.

As it's a 10 point must win system, the winner of the round must be awarded 10 points.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
          How do people not understand 10 point must? Someone has to get 10 points, unless the guy who won the round was penalized a point for a foul.
          It's called the "Ten Points Must" system but this is an informal name, not official. (I even remember analysts chatting about that name when it began to be used) It merely means that the winner of the round, NO MATTER HOW WELL HE WON THE ROUND, even if he knocked the opponent down 50 times, CANNOT get more than 10 POINTS....

The round winner MUST get 10 points....UNLESS he loses a point for some reason. He could commit a foul or be KD. The Rules don't differentiate between the levels of fouls (of which there are several kinds) and KDs. The rules say just that a point is lost for each one.

I've seen Whitaker bending so low (below waist level) that it was a foul, and the analysts were commenting that the ref should have taken a point. I've seen other fighters doing the same, where a point was actually taken.

For example, when Amir Khan lost 2 points in separate incidents for aggressive pushing, and hitting on the break, his fans kicked up murder about it, but the ref decided. The fact is...aggressive pushing like Khan did, and hitting on the break, are both against the rules, which can each result in the loss of a point, and he'd been warned several times. (I personally think that he lost the second point for pushing as well, he just happened to hit on the break at the same time which caused confusion as to the reason for that point taken).

If a fighter fouls he LOSS A POINT, just as he does is he is knocked down. His opponent DOES NOT WIN A POINT........That's a rule and it isn't saying that a foul or a KD is the more effective, it's just the rule because rules have to start and stop somewhere.

So to get back to the argument, a fighter who would otherwise have won the round 10-9 and is KD, thereby LOSING A POINT, that round should be scored 9-9, and often is--if the judges know their jobs properly.

Anyway, I'm going to solve the problem; I have written to the Chairman of the Officials and Rules Commission (It's called something like that) and if I get a reply I will mention it on someone's thread. (I have no idea how to begin a thread myself-I'm a computer dunce.).

Comment

I always score it a 10-8 to the person who got the KD no matter who was winning the round. I only bring it back to a 10-9 when the person who got knocked down makes it a serious one sided round. And when I mean one sided, I'm talking about Mayweather-Gatti type round, a complete schooling.

It may not be the way I should be scoring it but I haven't seen official judges score it any other way. You get a KD, you get a 10-8.

Comment

Working...
            X