Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If HBO makes $$$ from PPV... why refuse to produce Pac-Vargas?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PKing View Post
    Some folks here swear that HBO rakes in tons of money from PPV. This is obviously not the case with HBO telling Arum no go on Pac-Vargas based on the Crawford-Postol numbers.

If HBO really made money on PPV, they would be OK with doing both Pac-Vargas and Ward-Kov in the same month.

Source: Pugmire quoting Arum

https://twitter.com/latimespugmire/s...182954496?s=09
    I mean it's just common sense, if hbo has been pushing ward-kovalev for november 19th on ppv since like march, why the f*uck would they want to jeopordize viewership/buys of that on their network by having pacquiao fighting jessie ****ing vargas on ppv 2 weeks before? It makes no sense whatsoever. But everyone wants to hop on a bandwagon that ward is ducking because the fight isnt 100% finalized yet most likely partially due to this conflict right here. HBO wouldn't allow these two fights to happen 2 weeks apart ESPECIALLY when pacquiao is fighting a legit nobody. Someone who lost to bradley and it wasn't even close except for that knockdown with 5 seconds to go, who pacquiao beat three times already. All jessie vargas has is a title, he's not close to a big draw and isn't even undefeated so you can't sell that aspect of him either, its a pathetic fight. Like maybe if pacquiao was fighting crawford then MAYBE HBO would say "ok, we can try to work something out" and they'd even try to push kovalev-ward out the way until early 2017 but no, he's fighting jessie ****ING vargas. Disgraceful.

Comment

Arum should've paid Broner that $10 mil. That fight would've been on HBO PPV.

Comment

HBO faces backlash for supporting Manny Pacquiao after Anti-Gay remarks + Pacquiao making too much money for this fight for HBO taste..

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
          Arum should've paid Broner that $10 mil. That fight would've been on HBO PPV.
          Yeah they should have done everything in their power to secure the Broner fight. I don't think Arum wanted it at all.

Comment

Originally posted by hectari View Post
            I think HBO dropped out of the Manny Pacquiao business when he made those anti gay comments, they were already tied into a contract for the Pacquiao vs Bradley 3 fight and said they couldn't dishonor their contract with Manny at the time they made it known that they support LGBT and strongly opposed Mannys views.

Pacs comments destroyed him with every sponsor, network, no big name will ever align themselves with him again. I don't even get why Arum bothers staging the fight in the USA? Is Arum really this naive? he would make more money making that fightin Europe or Asia, Pac is basically a Pariah in America now with the big name companies and networks.
            Originally posted by 285Kid View Post
            HBO faces backlash for supporting Manny Pacquiao after Anti-Gay remarks + Pacquiao making too much money for this fight for HBO taste..
            I had completely forgotten about Manny's comments about gays. If HBO doesn't air the fight, Manny is a free agent. Perhaps both of you are right that HBO doesn't want to associate with Manny anymore.

As I think about this being a possibility I am shocked. I understand his comments were offensive but they have continued to work with men, Floyd included, who I feel did things more egregious.

I guess now that Manny is on the downside he is getting treated differently.

Comment

Wait a sec, is this on HBO, not on HBO?
              What's the story?

Comment

I feel like there is more to this then just money. Arum has been openly and publicly feuding with HBO all year. Manny screwed HBO with his comments leading up to the Bradley fight which NOBODY wanted in the first place. Every other month Arum is firing shots and making threats to HBO because he is not getting the money and fight dates he wants. And HBO seems to be giving him the finger by giving the money and fight dates to fighters from other promoters like Golden Boy, K2, Main Events ect. Canelo, Kovelev, GGG, Ward are getting the money and dates instead of Top Rank fighters. And now Bob is trying to force a PPV around the exact time that HBO has had a PPV penciled in all year. A PPV that sucks by the way after Manny's last PPV bombed.

Seems to me HBO is trying to show Bob Arum the door. And Arum and Manny had much better options to pick then Vargas. If they were willing to move the date or pick a better opponent I don't think this is an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Wesker115 View Post
                  Wait a sec, is this on HBO, not on HBO?
                  What's the story?
                  HBO doesn't want the fight. Arum is saying it's going to be on Top Rank TV PPV

Comment

Can't they do an independent PPV like how Holyfield used to do? or what Shane and Mayorga 2 did?

Comment

This fight will probably do like 200k at best unless they absolutely load the undercard, well done to HBO for not buying this garbage, no boxing fan should support this fight. I love Pac, but I love the sport more and this fight is everything that's wrong with the sport.

Comment

Working...
                      X