• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aaronbabaron View Post

Edit:

Body transformation as in:

Put on 20lbs more muscle (ish) and cut to 8-10% BF

Currently at 5'10 165lbs or so. Estimated at around 16% bf
    Dorian Yates used to train 3 times a week for 1 hour hard core going HEAVY sessions. You can train long or hard but not long and hard. If you are looking to put on mass you have to go heavy and target specific muscle groups and hit them hard after a warm up. So if you are doing legs it pretty well will be an all leg workout and you should not be mixing in chest and back. Leg workouts take the most out of you and I don't see how you can mix in chest and back in the same session because after a hard leg workout you have nothing left.
    The rest in between workouts is critical for growth as is nutrition. There is no way you could do the boxing workout the day after on with sore muscles that have not recovered and that type of workout is going to tend to strip you which goes right against your muscle building program. The only way you could do that kind of training the day after the weights session is if you did a weak diluted weight session. In which case you are wasting your time.
    You are the same height and weight as me and must be an ectomorph which are hard gainers. If you want to get bigger you are going to have to go heavy and hard core and if you do that you are going to need rest periods in between. Idealy training every 4 days. Tom Platz Mr Legs could not train his legs again after a hard core leg workout for 12 days. If you want to get bigger leg workouts are absolutely key. I can tell you if you can pull off your boxing regime you can not be doing a hard core body building properly.
    What you put together is an over training program and the only way you can do it is with diluted work outs which is a waste of time. If you don't believe me do one hard core leg work out where you go HEAVY and see how you feel the next day.Warm up on a cycle then do seated leg extensions and a warm up set then 3 heavy sets,then the same again on leg press,then hit squats hard (with a training partner) or on a Smith Machine if you are on your own. Then hit the hamstrings curls and then calves. Do that a see how you feel the next day and see if you can do your boxing workout.
    Last edited by Prince Mongo; 02-10-2013, 07:48 PM.

Comment

A thousand more?! So I have to take in 3800 a day? That seems a little excessive... Maybe I'll try 3000 and if that doesn't get me anywhere I'll bump it up to 3800 ._.

The muscle confusion thing is something I will try out as well. Thank you for all of your advice, everyone.

Gosh, 4000 kcal/day... That's just... scary...
      Putting on 20 pounds of a muscle will take a lot of eating bro

Comment

Edit:

Body transformation as in:

Put on 20lbs more muscle (ish) and cut to 8-10% BF

Currently at 5'10 165lbs or so. Estimated at around 16% bf
        Originally posted by Danny Gunz View Post
        Putting on 20 pounds of a muscle will take a lot of eating bro
        That and a lot of weight training especially when you are starting at 165Lbs.

Comment

A thousand more?! So I have to take in 3800 a day? That seems a little excessive... Maybe I'll try 3000 and if that doesn't get me anywhere I'll bump it up to 3800 ._.

The muscle confusion thing is something I will try out as well. Thank you for all of your advice, everyone.

Gosh, 4000 kcal/day... That's just... scary...
          As far as im concerned, working out/boxing is the easy part, eating is the pain in the ass. Its all a calories game, calories going in and calories being burnt. Boxing and working out burn alot of calories, plus other factors such as activity level throughout the day. You have a base number of calories just to maintain your weight, plus the calories burned to compensate for(eat more), plus the caloric surplus you want to get bigger (eat even more).
          The 3800 number i threw out was just general as an example. For instance, im a couple inches shorter than you and 25-30 lbs lighter than you. With my boxing and working out, aswell as my activity level throughout the day, i aim for 4000 calories a day. As i mentioned tho, eating is a chore for me, im happe and call it good if i hit 3500 calories. Ive been gaining, but its been a slower more gradual process as opposed to if i was an eater.

But yeah, youll want to figure out your base number of calories needed just to maintain your size, factor in calories burnt through exercising (weights and boxing) as well as factor in your estimated calories burnt throughout the day, depending on your activity level. Ultimately, youll want to give yourself a surplus of calories to get bigger/build with. Not a huge surplus mind you, thats when excessive fat creeps in, but id suggest a 300-500 surplus.

Eat big to get big

Comment

wait so let me get this straight
            i used katch-mcardle again and factored in my work outs, and it came out to daily expenditure of about 2650. after this, do i have to factor in calories burned (boxing/weight lifting) as well? If so that would put me at almost 3050/day, excluding my rest day.
            THEN if I wanted to gain muscle mass, i'd have to eat 10% more calories, which would put me at 3400kcal/day. am i doing this properly?

sorry, these BMR and daily expenditure things really confuse me...

Edit: My daily non-exercise activities include walking about 2 miles, cooking, etc.
            that shouldn't change my bmr too much right?

Edit 2: I really hope I'm wrong. I'm eating 1000kcal worth of mac and cheese right now. If I have to eat this much every meal I will cry...
            Last edited by aaronbabaron; 02-10-2013, 09:41 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

wait so let me get this straight
              i used katch-mcardle again and factored in my work outs, and it came out to daily expenditure of about 2650. after this, do i have to factor in calories burned (boxing/weight lifting) as well? If so that would put me at almost 3050/day, excluding my rest day.
              THEN if I wanted to gain muscle mass, i'd have to eat 10% more calories, which would put me at 3400kcal/day. am i doing this properly?

sorry, these BMR and daily expenditure things really confuse me...

Edit: My daily non-exercise activities include walking about 2 miles, cooking, etc.
              that shouldn't change my bmr too much right?

Edit 2: I really hope I'm wrong. I'm eating 1000kcal worth of mac and cheese right now. If I have to eat this much every meal I will cry...
              You will learn different tricks to make it easier on yourself

For example when I'm bulking in the morning I'll make a big weight gainer shake that is usually almost 1000 calories. By the time lunch and dinner are around I'am still pretty hungry and can consume alot. Also I will have protein shakes throughout the day.

Comment

Yeah, I just made a huge shake with about 1200 kcal in it. Not bad tasting either

Comment

Working...
                X