No announcement yet.

Why does Joshua need six months off?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    Idk man. I think you risk saturating the market fighting him too much or anyone who's a big draw between the PPV prices + ticket prices. That's always been the model anyway, the higher profile you are the less you fight.

And the ODLH fight is what put Manny on a higher level. That's when he turned into a 2 fight a year guy himself.

I guess it wouldn't surprise me if Joshua has 3 fights next year doe with how his schedule will line up if he fights in October, but after that, assuming he keeps on his current trajectory, which is a big assumption obviously, I doubt he'll be fighting more than 2 bouts a year.

And hell from his POV why wouldn't you fight just twice a year when you are knocking down 8 digits per fight & he'll probably have a ton of out of the ring commitments that have lil to do with getting hit in the head putting money in his pockets.
    It's the staying sharp factor. three fights a year equals shorter training camps. Fight march August December.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
      Tyson wasn't fighting Wladimir Klitschko level fighters when he was fighting frequently. When Tyson's opposition level increased above D level he had to fight 2-3 times, especially after he lost to Douglas, they brought his activity down a notch. Every new fighter fights a massive amount of times in one year. For example in a 12 month span, the first 12 months of his career, Floyd fought 11 times. Pacquiao fought 11 times in his first 12 months too, etc.

No fighter can actually sustain fighting top level guys every month. Fighters with 100 fights have the most bums in their resume. Joshua can't even fight the Whyte's and Breazeale's of the world (decent but not elite fighter) every month. That's too much. And fighters of yesteryear weren't doing that either. They were fighting guys like you and me, who just got off the couch to collect a little check and never had a chance in hell.
      It was just a better time to be a fan. Even coming up you had guys like Ferguson and Tillis being fought in close succession with other fighters, you may see them as D level but they were better than the Mormecks of the world. He's eighties challengers are more than comparable with the current crop talent wise. That's not trashing Wlads reign, he fought everyone who was available.

Comment

It was a pretty brutal fight and he made a lot of money.. he's not grinding dead broke coming up out here..

Comment

Originally posted by The plunger man View Post
          Well he never fought every month when he became champion lol....no fighter has and they fight 3 times a year maximum.....its not actually six months because they go nto training 11 weeks before fight night so its only ever 3 0r 4 month rest.
          No, but he seemed alot more active than these guys. He was much busier as a prospect, and guys like Ferguson and Tillis compare favourably with guys like Whyte. But yeah, they do have very long camps these days.

Comment

Originally posted by joe strong View Post
            Yeah but that was fighting cans. It's pretty much twice a year once a guy is near the top...
            Mike's run as a prospect was better than AJs. Ferguson, Tillis, Mitch Green at least comparable to Dillian Whyte.Hes eighties challengers at least as good as what's out there now. Tucker has to be better than Wilder and Parker just to the naked eye. But I guess it's a TV dates thing.

Comment

Originally posted by bluepete View Post
              Mike's run as a prospect was better than AJs. Ferguson, Tillis, Mitch Green at least comparable to Dillian Whyte.Hes eighties challengers at least as good as what's out there now. Tucker has to be better than Wilder and Parker just to the naked eye. But I guess it's a TV dates thing.
              Too be honest I would put Ferguson & Tillis on the same level as Nagy Aguilera or Fred Kassi. Dillian Whyte is better than that. I can't say I would put Tucker ahead of Parker or Wilder but he would definitely be there in the mix today.

Comment

Too be honest I would put Ferguson & Tillis on the same level as Nagy Aguilera or Fred Kassi. Dillian Whyte is better than that. I can't say I would put Tucker ahead of Parker or Wilder but he would definitely be there in the mix today.
                I like Dillian but I wouldn't rate him above either at this stage. But maybe it's because I'm abit biased because I think those guys had much better conditioning. The Chisora fight was good but even guys like Tubbs never gassed like these guys now. I think Tuckers win over Douglas trumps anything Wilder or Parker have done at this stage. I think that Tucker would've well beaten them (1987) version but like I say I'm biased. 🤔

Comment

I agree with these comparisons

Comment

Working...
                  X