using hooks and upper cuts while sparring

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using hooks and upper cuts while sparring

Hi,
    My first post in this awesome forum!! I have been training for about 6 months now and have been sparring for the last 3. Though my coach has done a good job in training us with the combinations whenever we start sparring we end up using mostly 1-2's and body punches ...now i dont know if this is common for beginners but we are at our wits ends trying to figure out how to incorporate the hooks and cuts..our coach has run out of ideas i guess ..all he does is scream at us if we aren't using them in our sparring sessions ..not much of a help ...it would be great if the knowledgible peeps out here could suggest some drills ..would be indebted

Regards,
    Vikram

Originally posted by gatti4ever View Post
    Hi,
    My first post in this awesome forum!! I have been training for about 6 months now and have been sparring for the last 3. Though my coach has done a good job in training us with the combinations whenever we start sparring we end up using mostly 1-2's and body punches ...now i dont know if this is common for beginners but we are at our wits ends trying to figure out how to incorporate the hooks and cuts..our coach has run out of ideas i guess ..all he does is scream at us if we aren't using them in our sparring sessions ..not much of a help ...it would be great if the knowledgible peeps out here could suggest some drills ..would be indebted

Regards,
    Vikram
    If all your trainer does is scream and doesn't offer any suggestions, than the drill you should use is a long roadwork session to another gym.

Comment

I take it you're not a natural puncher/fighter mentality?

Im kinda confused on what you are asking. How to set up those punches, or how to throw them correctly?

Hooks i cant really tell you how to 'set them up'. I just throw them, depending on what the guy is giving me. Lead hooks, counters, combo's, etc. Just let your hands go.

As far as uppercuts, im a tad more selective when i throw them, usually after a right hand or a left hook.

A couple of my favorite combo's with those punches

-Straight right, left uppercut, right uppercut, left hook

-Left hook, left uppercut, straight right, left to body

Just let your hands go brah. You'll figure out what works for you.
      Last edited by ~AK49~; 06-29-2012, 10:16 AM.

Comment

I understand how the uppercuts could leave a new guy feeling wide open for counters but the hooks you should be able to let go with no trouble at all.

It's not your coaches fault that you are not throwing the hook and uppercuts, if he's shown you during the floor work than it's nobodies fault but your own for not throwing them.

You had balls to even step into a gym and you had balls to step in to throw sparring. Now you just have to have the balls to try and incorporate something new into your skills. He can't make you throw the shots, only you and you alone can do that.

Relax abit about the uppercuts and just try top incorporate the hooks into your game at this point. Once you see that yolu can throw and land the hooks, and you will find this, then maybe start in trying to land an uppercut or two.

I didn't start throwing uppercuts until about my 4th or 5th fight. In time you will get it, just keep working hard and everything will eventually fall into place. Good luck...........Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by gatti4ever View Post
          Hi,

Regards,
          Vikram
          Range?

If you are fighting at long range (which I assume is the case) you won't have many opportunities to throw LEAD hooks / uppercuts. When you are closer to your opponent you will naturally feel less inclined to throw straight shots (your shots will feel smothered) and you will be more likely to throw hooks and uppercuts.

Comment

I think that hooks and especially uppercuts require more set-up than the jab and straight right hand. They are primarily counter punches, so you don't "just" throw them. You have to get in position, and that requires footwork, being able to judge and control distance, but purpose as well. You have to be looking to land that particular punch, especially just starting out.
            I don't know your skill level, but I would think that after 3 months sparring, you have some knowledge and ability when it comes to avoiding punches. For me, a real natural move was slipping outside a jab and bringing the right uppercut to the body. That led to me integrating my left hook into my game.
            It starts with creating openings to punch through, not just leaning in and letting them fly.

Comment

Working...
            X